How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-05-2006, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to ShowNoMercy
Transmission Problem

I just bought my 92 SVX LS 3 weeks ago. They told me the transmission had been replaced not too long ago. The fluid is clean and everything when i checked it and right up to the full dot. Last night I went for a ride, about 50 miles. Almost half way the car started to rev while i was cruising from about
2k rpm up to like 3k like the tranny was slipping. I had kept a steady foot on the gas pedal during this. As the trip ended it would rev as high as 4k and it would do this ever 5 sec when cruising at 55mph and only cruising. However, it did not slip at all in heavy acceleration nor did it when i put it in 3rd and put it in manual and floored it. I've also read that the high clutch controls 3rd and 4th gear and those are the only gears this has happened in yet it does not slip during acceleration. Any advice on what's going on with my tranny would be greatly appreciated. Also the guy i bought it from told me that he had converted it over to synthetic and there has been an inline filter installed. I would like to keep my tranny alive as long as i can being i dont have the money right now for another tranny.
93 Impreza LS
Old 08-06-2006, 01:01 AM
One teal and One yellow

When you start your SVX, is your "green power light" on the dash flashing?

It might need a brake band adjustment? (read more for this...)

Where did you buy? Is it still under warranty? You can take it back there to have them checked.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 08-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy
I just bought my 92 SVX LS 3 weeks ago. They told me the transmission had been replaced not too long ago. The fluid is clean and everything when i checked it and right up to the full dot. Last night I went for a ride, about 50 miles. Almost half way the car started to rev while i was cruising from about
2k rpm up to like 3k like the tranny was slipping. I had kept a steady foot on the gas pedal during this. As the trip ended it would rev as high as 4k and it would do this ever 5 sec when cruising at 55mph and only cruising. However, it did not slip at all in heavy acceleration nor did it when i put it in 3rd and put it in manual and floored it. I've also read that the high clutch controls 3rd and 4th gear and those are the only gears this has happened in yet it does not slip during acceleration. Any advice on what's going on with my tranny would be greatly appreciated. Also the guy i bought it from told me that he had converted it over to synthetic and there has been an inline filter installed. I would like to keep my tranny alive as long as i can being i dont have the money right now for another tranny.
Hi there, As it does this in 4th when cruising, but seems OK when the pedal is down, it looks like it may be a low line pressure. The line pressure is altered with the amount of throttle, the lighter the throttle pressure the lower the line pressure that is applied to the high clutch. Anything that will affect the line pressure could cause this problem.

A dirty screen filter in the pan or a dropping resistor that has increased resistance could cause the problem. Easy things first, check the resistance of the dropping resistor, it should be about 10 ohms.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:06 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Hi there, As it does this in 4th when cruising, but seems OK when the pedal is down, it looks like it may be a low line pressure. The line pressure is altered with the amount of throttle, the lighter the throttle pressure the lower the line pressure that is applied to the high clutch. Anything that will affect the line pressure could cause this problem.

A dirty screen filter in the pan or a dropping resistor that has increased resistance could cause the problem. Easy things first, check the resistance of the dropping resistor, it should be about 10 ohms.

Harvey.
N.B. An increase in the value of the dropping resistor will in fact increase the line pressure, in the same way as does disconnecting it. This could not be presumed to be a possible cause of the problem.

However a short circuited or low resistance could, even though an unlikely occurrence.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check to see if the plug is clean on the dropping resistor and check the resistance in a few minutes. Strange enough though, It hasnt slipped at all on sunday and i drove about 350 miles. On saturday i was lookin over the car to see what the problem might be and i found a loose ground wire on the back of the intake manifold. Could that have been why the tranny was acting funny? A better explanation of what the tranny was doing is it was kinda half downshifting. Like when you stomp on the pedal while cruisin and the angine revs but then you let off before it downshifts. Thats what it felt like except i was just cruisin. I could also feel the tranny go back into gear after it revved.
93 Impreza LS
Old 08-07-2006, 07:16 PM

Well my dropping resistor measures 12.4 ohms. Thats a little away from 10 ohms. Is that bad. Also i bought my car from a mechanic's mother.
93 Impreza LS
Old 08-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy
Well my dropping resistor measures 12.4 ohms. Thats a little away from 10 ohms. Is that bad. Also i bought my car from a mechanic's mother.
Yes that is within limits.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.