Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-31-2006, 06:24 PM

two issues, one more annoying than the other

well first, i know next to nothing about cars, so these could be easy fixes and i wouldn't know. one my a/c's not blowing cold anymore. a friend told me to replace the coolant and possibly get it recharged, is this good advice? and second there's a squeaking noise when i go around turns, and every so often when just driving. it's usually at lower speeds (ie <20mph) and sounds like it's coming out of the front passenger side wheel well? Any advice on what to do to fix these would be helpful.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to 19svx94
before you try to go recharging your whole a/c system, go buy a can of refrigerant from any local auto parts store, and recharge your system yourself
Old 08-01-2006, 05:30 AM

If you really know "next to nothing" about cars, you probably should just take the car to a qualified shop to have the AC system checked, rather than trying to DIY. If it suddenly isn't cooling due to loss of refrigerant, that refrigerant leaked from someplace.

The squealing when turning could be the power steering belt slipping when the pump is under load. Check the belt tension/condition.

dcb
Old 08-01-2006, 02:35 PM

yeah

like i said, "next to nothing". Let's just say my knowledge has its limits, but I can get by in most things. i can do quick fixes and know enough not to break my car or kill myself and i've had a friend helping me with it. just wanted to get some opinions. thanks for the input though.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
One quick thing to check is if there are any error codes in the climate control.

Instructions can be found on http://svx-iw.com/ in the SVXipedia.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19svx94
before you try to go recharging your whole a/c system, go buy a can of refrigerant from any local auto parts store, and recharge your system yourself
dont bother with those diy kits they arnt real refrgerant they are only good for adding pressure to the A/C to be done right it needs to be evaced and recharged with leak detecting dye because if your A/C doent have a charge any more then there is a reason for that... oh another thing you can try (dought it will work) is hose down the front of your car... your condencer could be cloged
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 08-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to Davsbro Send a message via Yahoo to Davsbro
Same problem with mine

I found the problem with mine to be in the drivers side shock tower and the front strut. It didn't happen all the time but once we removed the tire and twisted the spring a little the problem has not reappeared.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davsbro
I found the problem with mine to be in the drivers side shock tower and the front strut. It didn't happen all the time but once we removed the tire and twisted the spring a little the problem has not reappeared.
Pardon Me????
Old 08-01-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getndrty
Pardon Me????
Okay so I'm the slow one, you were talking about the squeak. I thought you might be testing his knowledge on A/C repairs..