Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Midaswell toss my idea out there for examination. I think the all mighty exhaust gods will be able to figure out what to expect with such a system. So here goes.

Okay, from what i understand, the stock pre-cats are actually inportant for noise controll as well as for some sonic resonation effects. Thus, I left them in. From there it runs back a little ways further than stock to combine into a 2 into 2 cat (Assuming they even exist...which Im sure for some reason they do)
...only because cats arent cheap, and somewhere or another I heard that having the exhausts combine at some point helps noise and resonance alot..
From there it goes into a set of resonators (simalar type that people use to replace their pre-cats) and then to mufflers, and out the tips
Im not sure what diameter pipe to use...Id just assume all the same size from the pre cats back, being the exhaust , for the most part, stays dual .
One inportant thing to me is not having that annoying resonance at 3000 rpm like sevral other systems are having. I figure this set up might actually be a bit quieter than stock, being theres the same amount of catylitic converters and twice the resonators and mufflers. Im thinking it might not even really need the resonators if the mufflers are good, or possibly vice versa. the main thing though, is how well it will flow. having the exhaust go through a pre cat, combine to a cat, then go through a resonator and a muffler seems to be alot of restrictions....
Just curious as to what this system may yield, any kind of input is appreciated
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-16-2006, 09:35 AM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad
Hummm... Thats what i wanted to do : pre-cats to mufflers in a 2 separates exhaust . no resonators... wandering....
Old 06-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Eric,
Your proposed system will work. You can probably do with out the dual rear resonators and just run dual cherrybomb mufflers. Harry (NewSVX) has a similar system on his SVX.
And yes, you're right, the front cats do play a major role in minimizing/eliminating the dreaded 2500-3500 rpm resonance in our exhaust systems.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Erics system.

Only a few things mate, I'd keep the same length back to the third cat as this length, is part of the systems performance. The two resonators would be better just with one there, as the space would mean that each one would be too small a volume. One large one would drop the pressure better. So it really gets back to the original system, to the back of the resonator.

After that point, it does not matter, as long as it is free flowing. A single in, two out resonator to your twin rear pipes and mufflers, or a single in/out, with a Y pipe to split it to the twin back pipes would be OK.

Glass fibre packed mufflers, I think always give the best sound, as they attenuate the high sounds best with the lower sounds preserved. Mounted where you show, they could have the pipes from each, cross over to the other side to give a bit of tail pipe length to develop a better sound.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.