SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Parts Breaker, Tire Waster

Send a message via AIM to hexadec0079
SVX Explosion, Help Please

Lets start in the beginning, it was making a slight clicking sound when turning hard for months. I thought nothing of it, but hindsight is 20/20. Oh well.

Anyway, i was rolling at 20 with my buddy in a T/A and we both punched it and raced into a parking lot (at legal speeds, of course) When pulling in I noticed a ticking sound (baseball card in wheel spokes almost) and seeing as we arrived at the Saturday night car meet, I loaded up my buddies and some stood in in the middle as I made loops to diagnose. Many said axle, driveshaft, or my new exhaust hitting the driveshaft. Well, I left before I killed it and the next day, I was accelerating and it happened. A loud thud followed by ball bearing sounds. I pulled over IMMEDIATELY and was looking when a quart of diff fluid poured out (no metal or anything, no visible leak in diff) So, I am thinking it is cv or an axle. Probably an axle because I can move it and my trans solenoids are malfunctioning both A and C, which with my mods might be enough to break the thinner front axle.

So, I just want to know what to do, what is wrong, and how ling/ much will this take. Shloud I fix it, take it to a shop, or give up and part it?

Thanks
Green, LS with spoiler, 157,000, ES Swaybar bushings, 9005/6 mod, 2.25' Dual Exhaust, Custom Grounding, Hyperwhite fogs, LED tails, 4.44s, custom Blitz intake, tranny cooler, thats about it, for now...

1997 Chevy 1500 -FOR SALE-
5.7 liter, Z71, 300hp+, still almost 20mpg

1986 Merkur XR4Ti -SOLD-
SVO Engine, T3 hybrid turbo, K&N, custom ducting, Initial D painted, 18psi, fastest car for under $1000, ever.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Most people replace the tranny when this happens...usually with one with better gearing. Tom (TomsSVX) has been replacing just the diffs.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexadec0079
Lets start in the beginning, it was making a slight clicking sound when turning hard for months. I thought nothing of it, but hindsight is 20/20. Oh well.

Anyway, i was rolling at 20 with my buddy in a T/A and we both punched it and raced into a parking lot (at legal speeds, of course) When pulling in I noticed a ticking sound (baseball card in wheel spokes almost) and seeing as we arrived at the Saturday night car meet, I loaded up my buddies and some stood in in the middle as I made loops to diagnose. Many said axle, driveshaft, or my new exhaust hitting the driveshaft. Well, I left before I killed it and the next day, I was accelerating and it happened. A loud thud followed by ball bearing sounds. I pulled over IMMEDIATELY and was looking when a quart of diff fluid poured out (no metal or anything, no visible leak in diff) So, I am thinking it is cv or an axle. Probably an axle because I can move it and my trans solenoids are malfunctioning both A and C, which with my mods might be enough to break the thinner front axle.

So, I just want to know what to do, what is wrong, and how ling/ much will this take. Shloud I fix it, take it to a shop, or give up and part it?

Thanks
well first check to see if it is a axle mine blew up right after my tranny was replaced... because they didnt put the spring pin in it. but yeah start with that before you start talking about selling it
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-25-2006, 01:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Sorry about your SVX. Here is the cause:
The front diffy and transmisson are separated by a seal. When the seal starts going, ATF from the tranny leaks into the diffy. The ATF in the tranny is at a much higher pressure than the gear oil in the diffy. The ATF is also a much lower viscosity than the diffy gear oil. The ATF builds up in the diffy causing lack of lubicity and heat. The ATF also has cleaning solvents in it so it washes all the gear oil off the gears. Eventually the diffy explodes. In some cases the diffy case cracks.
The clicking noise that you heard was gear teeth on gear teeth (no lubricity).
All SVXers should check your diffy dip stick about every 3 months. If the level is "overfull", your ATF is leaking into the diffy.
The diffy dip stick is located on the passenger side by the firewall, down low. It is very hard to see. Use a bright flashlight since the finger ring is metal and probably dirty.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 05-25-2006, 03:19 PM

mine clicks, but only when turning left hard

.... could it be from misaligned suspension? that is, my right front sway bar end link is broken, (tow truck drivers ) and it has been clicking *occaisionally* since....

i was hoping it was just CV but after reading th is.....
Old 05-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
you can get the suspension checked out cheep at any shop it could be a axle.. check your boots out thats usually the most ovious sign but just because it isnt riped doesnt mean its not going bad
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
OK, something has been going on here and it is all Mikecg's fault

Put it up in the air on all 4 corners. Sping the front wheels, are the inner axle boost spinning too?? It they are, try jiggling it around and see if there is a lot of movement. Common problem since Mikecg seemed to pull it off is that the spider gears in the front diff decide to commit suicide. The ring and pinion seem to be just fine and all the bearings are good but the spiders take a crap. Check this out and check back in.

Tom