Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-21-2006, 05:22 PM

Angry Dirty Door PAnels

Dirt accumulates on the lower outside of the bottom half of my doors even after I wash it. Vigorous scrubbing does nothing. How can I get rid of this? Also, how often should I wax the car and how often should I change the oil?
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 04-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
On the door itself or below/behind the door?

Waxing is subjective. A good paintjob on a show car should never need wax. Wax as often as it takes to make you feel good.

I'm not religous when it comes to changing the oil. I'll probably change at 10,000kms or whenever it looks dirty.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
To clean my car's dirtiest spots I use armor all power wash gel (you squirt on the car not in a bucket so it works better IMO) on a chenille sponge every time i wash it and every 3 months or so i use a wax stripping stuff (meant for airplanes) that takes off all the wax and anything on the paint (great for those black streaks white cars get) then i re-wax the whole car with prestone wax (but i want that new ice stuff, i just cant find it!) It looks brand new and hides my smaller imperfections.

I suggest waxing every three months (and so does the owners manual) it helps make the paint sparkle and protects it from rain and road grime which can stain the finish. If you kept your car in a garage and never drove it then you might get away with less but i've seen sun do some nasty things to unwaxed cars so i'm pro-waxing.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxthc
Dirt accumulates on the lower outside of the bottom half of my doors even after I wash it. Vigorous scrubbing does nothing. How can I get rid of this? Also, how often should I wax the car and how often should I change the oil?
these questions are all open to opinion, but here's what works for me:
- wash the car
- apply/buff off some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (once/year)
- apply some Meguiar's NXT Tech wax, and let it sit on the car overnight (its almost more of a "sealant" ), then buff it off the next day. it comes off very easily. here is probably more than you wanted to know about it, from the "Obsessive-Compulsive Detailer" on the LGT forums:

Are you still using a carnauba to wax your car? Why? If you ask any detailer about why they use one wax or another they will tell you all about how ‘wet’ it makes the paint look or how ‘deep’ the reflections are. The fact is that waxes achieve that by using greasy oils. Anything covered in oil is going to look like wet paint. It’s the nature of the product. And deep reflections are more a product of proper polishing and prep work and not as much a result of which brand of wax you are using.

Let’s look at what wax really offers you. Wax offers you between 4 to 6 weeks of protection from UV rays that cause paint fading. If you live in a hot climate then you can expect 4 weeks or less. Wax is wax and heat will cause it to melt and evaporate. What kind of protection is that?

That ‘wet look’ appearance is due to oils in the wax. Those oils also attract dust. We all know how nice it is to have a perfect looking car and then 5 minutes later have it covered in dust. Those oils don’t stay around forever, so your car is only a wet paint looking dust magnet for as long as the oils don’t evaporate. Give it a couple days and your car will look shiny, but not as wet anymore.

Prices for wax are also out of this world. One of the best waxes I have ever used is only $15 bucks at any Harley Davidson shop. It is called S100 and it is amazing. It competes with waxes that cost 5 times as much. You may not believe me, but some waxes out there break the bank at over $1000 a jar. Want proof? Check this puppy out. [LINK] What a deal, eh? On sale for a mere $1500 bucks. A few years ago I had an Autopia member send me a chunk of this wax. He has a Ferrari dealership in his back yard, so I’m sure it wasn’t a hardship to purchase this wax. He wasn’t impressed with it and he sent it to me to compare it to other waxes that I used at the time. Compared to my $15 S100 I wouldn’t pay more than $30 bucks for Zymol Vintage. It was really under impressive and not worth anywhere near $1500 bucks. I keep it around for some customers who want to say that they have this wax on the car for shows, but other than that I wouldn’t suggest it. I don’t even use it on my own cars, so that tells you something. Pinnacle Souveran also claims to have a high amount of Brazilian White Carnauba in it, but you don’t see them slapping on a house payment sized price tag on their wax. Souveran is, by the way, a great wax… but also not worth $70 bucks when compared to S100 and other lower priced products.

I’m not a wax hater by any means. I have loads of wax myself. I have at least a dozen different waxes on my shelf that get used on customer cars. When someone comes to me for a detail and request certain products by name to be used, I want to be prepared. However, for my own cars I have found a much much better product than wax. I’m talking about sealants.

Sealants are not new technology. They become more popular in the last 20 years, but they have been around much longer than that. It has only been in the last half dozen years that polymer technology has really started to wow the detailing community. There are some names that auto enthusiasts are familiar with like Klasse, Zaino, Meguiar’s and others, but recently some remarkable advances in polymer sealants have brought us products like Blackfire, 4* Ultimate Paint Protection, and Wolfgang. Recently this technology was put back on the shelf in the form of Meguiar’s NXT and Eagle One Nanowax. Sealants offer outstanding durability at over 6 weeks for most products. 10 to 12 weeks is average for most sealants while some will last for much longer. These products bond to the paint like super glue and don’t evaporate with a little heat. They aren’t greasy oily products that attract dust either. Some of them actually have anti-static properties to them that repel dust instead of attracting it.

It is worth it to explore sealant technology and see how it compares to your favorite waxes. Most sealants are priced competitively and aren’t that much more expensive than a good carnauba. Sealants have a lot to offer and I truly believe they are the way of the future. Why use a greasy carnauba that is fragile and creates so much work when you can use a sealant that looks this good and protects for much longer without the dust attraction?

if you have a darker-colored car (black!), you may have to do the procedure more often than a lighter-colored one.

as far as oil changes, (again, open to opinion), i'd say every 3k-5k miles with dino oil, and 4k-6k with synthetic, to be conservative.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 04-23-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Ok, so I bought some EagleOne Nanowax (because it was $10 less expensive than NXT) and here are my shining results:
Old 05-15-2006, 07:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
I got a free sample of the NXt wax at a car show is it any good? I just waxed it using my regular prestone wax (i really do like this stuff) so i dont really need to test it out but i'm dying to. Any experiences? I tried out a black magic wax i was given the same way and hated it so i'm leery of doing it again.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 PM

Arrow

Im a big fan of Armor All, that gets the job done, and you can use it on your wheels and such too!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:33 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSpeed
I got a free sample of the NXt wax at a car show is it any good? I just waxed it using my regular prestone wax (i really do like this stuff) so i dont really need to test it out but i'm dying to. Any experiences? I tried out a black magic wax i was given the same way and hated it so i'm leery of doing it again.

I've been using the NXT for a few years now, I love the stuff....easy to buff off, and a great shine....try it, you'll like it. (Still coming to the Dragon?)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"