Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2006, 07:47 PM

anyone ever replace a door?

I was wondering if anyone had replaced a door because i had found an ebay special driver side door ( cause mine got backed into ), but it doesnt have the stationary piece of glass in it.. so i was wondering if transferring the glass from my door to that one would be a difficult task.. and if there are any tricks to taking the door off/ putting the door on... thanks a lot...
Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Swapping the door is easy, if you have someone to help hold it.

- Open door
- Hammer out the spring pin that holds the stay in place
- Pull the grommet away from the car and pull the wiring out of the body until you get the connectors, unplug them.
- With someone supporting the weight of the door, use a ratcheting 12mm wrench to remove the 3 bolts holding each hinge to the door. (If the fender is off it is easier to remove the hinges from the body while the door is closed)

Instalation is the reverse.

Are you getting a key with the new door? If not you can probably have a locksmith fix the new door to take the old key.

I don't know that the upper glass can be replaced very easily, I don't recall anyone doing that. You may have to take it to a glass shop.

What side/color? I have both Teals, and a passenger silver that have all the glass intact
Old 04-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

The hard part is the door harness. It takes a lot of finesse to get all the connectors undone inside the door.

Once that is done, you just need a friend and a floor jack. Disconnect the... forgot the name... that indention thingy that positions the door. Place a folded up towel on the floor jack, and bring it up taunt against the door, around the middle but toward the door handle. Then unbolt the hinges on the body side. The door isn't that heavy, but awkward, so have a friend there to steady it as you use the floor jack to pull it away from the car.

Watch the door harness like a hawk, so it doesn't snag.

Use your friend, and the floor jack to position the new door, and.. after pulling the harness inside, bolt it up trying to match the outline of the old door's hingemarks.

I got lucky putting the new door on, and it aligned perfectly just by matching the hinge to the dirt outline of the one I removed. I didn't have to go through any "rinse and repeat" routines on aligning the new door up.

The next bear is getting the rubber piping for the harness back in the grooves. That took another 20 minutes or so.

Whole job for me was about 3 hours. 1 hour for removal and installation of the new door and two hours dealing with the harness.... most of that was removing the connectors.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-19-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Swapping the door is easy, if you have someone to help hold it.

- Open door
- Hammer out the spring pin that holds the stay in place

Stay... it's called a stay. Now I remember.

(I took too long to post. )

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
...two hours dealing with the harness.... most of that was removing the connectors.
There's your problem, don't touch the wires inside the door, pull the rubber harness tube out of the body, there are two connectors. You don't need to remove any panels inside the car, just pull out the grommet from between the door and the car.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:27 PM

thanks a lot guys! im gonna try to get the door this weekend and get it all switched out, its just that there is no glass in the door, so im gonna have to check with some glass places before i commit to the seller... but thanks again guys.. ill let ya know how it works out
Old 04-20-2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
There's your problem, don't touch the wires inside the door, pull the rubber harness tube out of the body, there are two connectors. You don't need to remove any panels inside the car, just pull out the grommet from between the door and the car.
That excellent advice if I ever have to do it again. (Knock on wood.)

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2006, 12:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to 19svx94
again, what color do you need i have pearl white, and hocrest says he has teal so if you want an intact glass with the door i have both for sale as does hocrest, i will sell for w/e you are planning on paying the ebayer minus 10%
Old 04-20-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19svx94
again, what color do you need i have pearl white, and hocrest says he has teal so if you want an intact glass with the door i have both for sale as does hocrest, i will sell for w/e you are planning on paying the ebayer minus 10%

Yeah, that would be a lot easier.. i need a pearl driver side... the only reason i was gonna go ebay special was cause he was gonna give it to me for $35 cause i was gonna go down to NJ to pick it up... ive been trying to find a pearl for a while and i stumbled across this deal and was gonna take advantage of it.. but it def would be some work between painting the door and jams ( let alone matching it up), getting the glass put in, etc... so let me know.. thanks guy
Old 04-20-2006, 09:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to 19svx94
i looked at the door today and there are two small bends of the door from someone opening it before i took the fenders off, if you still want it try and calculate shipping as best as you can from 92056
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 PM

would you be able to post a pic of the dents that way i could see the extent of the damage? ...thanks