Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-22-2005, 01:16 PM

Question about the stock stereo

Im thinking about adding a satellite set up into my svx, and am considering using one of the PNP versions instead of installing a whole new deck which also gives me the option of a home docking station and would like to know what (if any) aux inputs are on the back (or side as the case may be) of the stock stereo to run an audio cable to??
The system will allow you to use an FM transmiter feature, but I figure the sound will be better using a cable

I do have the stock CD player and if there is only one input (which wouldn't surprise me) would it be possible to use a splitter and share the input jack?
Old 04-23-2005, 01:51 PM

bizumpity

(*someone must know what aux jacks are on the back of the stock stero)
Old 04-24-2005, 09:03 PM

a grand total of.................zero
Old 04-24-2005, 09:46 PM
ThetaReactor

The CD input is a proprietary plug, not a standard jack. It would take a good deal of hardware hacking to get it to talk to a satellite unit, I imagine...
Old 04-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
Im thinking about adding a satellite set up into my svx ... and would like to know what (if any) aux inputs are on the back ... of the stock stereo to run an audio cable to??

I do have the stock CD player and if there is only one input (which wouldn't surprise me) would it be possible to use a splitter and share the input jack?
Yes, as you guessed, the only input on the back of the stock radio/cassette deck is the jack for the stock CD player... Rear of stock SVX radio (it's the round, 13-pin DIN jack next to the antenna cables).

Other, later Subaru radios have a similar jack for an external CD changer (even though they already had an internal CD changer). People have successfully used that jack to connect iPods and satellite radio receivers. See posts 3 and 4 of this thread: Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, and more on NASIOC.

On older radios (possibly including those in our SVXs), the audio input on this jack is activated simply by shorting two of the other pins. On newer Subarus, people have found that the audio input from this jack is always "live" and the external CD player sends a data stream to mute the AM/FM, cassette, or internal CD changer.

So the answer is yes, you could make an adaptor cable that lets you switch between your stock CD player and a satellite radio receiver. If SVX radios require a data stream to mute the AM/FM/cassette, then the easiest solution would be to use the 'blank CD' trick like the WRX folks.

For additional useful info, see my SVX Audio Install guide.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:07 PM

Thanks all,
Thats what I figured, so I guess if I do decide on a "plug n play" unit, I'll just run it in the fm transmitter mode. Or maybe I'll just save my pennies and replace the stock systems with an in-dash in both my wifes outback and the svx. Ahhhh decisions, decisions.