Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Striking Similarity

Today at work I had the misfortune of being toted around in a 911S. It was a spirited drive through some of the twistys here in AZ. The car is a ton of fun even to ride in...jealous of the guy who got to do the driving...but that's not my point.

It's uncanny how similar the SVX and 911 engines sound. Granted, the 911 is considerably louder, but the raspiness and the general harmonics of the engine sounded very very similar to my '92 w/magnaflow exhaust. Just thought y'all might like the comparison...for future exhaust mods or whatever.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 12-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Striking Similarity

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
It's uncanny how similar the SVX and 911 engines sound. Granted, the 911 is considerably louder, but the raspiness and the general harmonics of the engine sounded very very similar to my '92 w/magnaflow exhaust.
Very cool! I was planning on going with a magnaflow when I upgraded my exhaust...

Porsche 911 C4S's definitely sound great at full song!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-16-2004, 02:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
That growl in the upper RPM's under hard acceleration is magnificent! When I bought my car, I had my friend drive it up and down past me as I stood there laughing - sounded like an animal!!

And the morning that I drove it into work in Sydney for the new owner who was buying it that day, I have to admit that I slowed down to about 20kph as I came to the Sydney Harbour Bridge (gorgeous morning, about 7.30am) in the single lane that runs adjacent to edge and just flattened it....did not let up till the other side.....that sound made up for it leaving my hands

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:13 AM

hahaha...agreed! Driving the SVX at WOT through a tunnel or under a wide bridge or along a sound wall by the interstate...whatever it may be...is sweeeeeeeet. I could do it all day if I had time. I've always wanted to hear one from the outside, though. Collin's SVX is the only one I've ever heard from the outside, and we've both agreed that our cars sound NOTHING alike.

On the positive side, I have a nasty buzz (STILL!!!) from something under full throttle at about 3k RPM, so maybe I don't want to hear it from the outside
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 12-16-2004, 09:16 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

That nasty buzz would be the famous resonator for the exhaust. You can always get it cut off and replaced with a straight pipe. Many people on our network have done this. Cost should be about 60 dollars or so.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
... Mat has the full "KC exhuast" from back in the day... no resonator for him i believe

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-16-2004, 10:58 AM

Yea...I've got full KC from way back when. No resonator, and I also had the primary cats cut out (first attempt to kill the buzz). Also bought a new secondary cat and re-sealed all the joints with new gaskets/clamps. Still no luck. Now I'm thinking it's the mufflers. I even put a small glasspack where the original resonator was because I thought it may be resonant buzz, but no luck there...ended up just adding some weight to the car. NO idea what that stupid buzz is. Flexplate is the latest guess, but no time to take it to Subie, and no tools to check on my own.

But, back to the topic, 911 sounds awesome, and SVX sounds awesome