Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Tycho

The bores are good...not incredible however... No lip at the top of the stroke tho. It does need at least a hone tho (it's been polished in a few areas). Not that it matters...this thing is going at least .020 over with new pistons.

Here's a 60,000 mile motor I took apart last summer in mint condition...with a 90mm stroke and a worse rod ratio as well (1.65 rather than 1.74)
http://homepage.mac.com/dgiessel/.Pi...4/P7070124.JPG

I got the engine with the car...I'm sure the VIN doesn't match. I'll carfax both at some point.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:20 AM
no limitation as limitation

looks alot bigger outside the car. very nice
Old 11-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Tycho
The bores are good...not incredible however... No lip at the top of the stroke tho. It does need at least a hone tho (it's been polished in a few areas). Not that it matters...this thing is going at least .020 over with new pistons.

Here's a 60,000 mile motor I took apart last summer in mint condition...with a 90mm stroke and a worse rod ratio as well (1.65 rather than 1.74)
http://homepage.mac.com/dgiessel/.Pi...4/P7070124.JPG

I got the engine with the car...I'm sure the VIN doesn't match. I'll carfax both at some point.
Tycho,
who are you going to get the new pistons from? It was my understanding that the stock pistons were custom fit to each individual cylinder. Are you going to stay with the stock compression ratio?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-25-2004, 02:40 AM
Tycho

Wiseco will supply the new pistons at a higher compression ratio (as yet to be determined as I need to analyze the quench area and see how much mechanical octane I can get). Perhaps 12:1

All good engines have the bores set for each piston. Piston to wall clearance is critical. My machine shop will bore and hone the cylinders and fit them to the numbered pistons.

I'm actually shocked to hear that subaru assembled a motor with proper clearances in mind. From what I've heard about the EJ20T and EJ25T (or whatever is in the STI) it is a very shoddily assembled motor (for japanese standards). The limited run of the SVX probably resulted in higher overall quality tho.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Wiseco will supply the new pistons at a higher compression ratio (as yet to be determined as I need to analyze the quench area and see how much mechanical octane I can get). Perhaps 12:1

All good engines have the bores set for each piston. Piston to wall clearance is critical. My machine shop will bore and hone the cylinders and fit them to the numbered pistons.

I'm actually shocked to hear that subaru assembled a motor with proper clearances in mind. From what I've heard about the EJ20T and EJ25T (or whatever is in the STI) it is a very shoddily assembled motor (for japanese standards). The limited run of the SVX probably resulted in higher overall quality tho.
Tycho,
I didn't run the numbers, but I'd think you should be approaching 12:1 just with the .020 overbore (keeping the same piston design). Good luck and please keep us up to date!
-Bill
p.s. thanks again for checking the max valve lift (before interference!)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
I've seen the inside of an EG33. The one I looked at was very similar. I attributed my poor cylinder walls to running it near out of oil (kind of on accident) combined with many cold starts considering my climate.

You should post the pictures in full-size for that camera so we can see some REAL quality and crash a server somewhere in the world.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Nice pics.
How's the weather over there in Fairbanks?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:13 AM

vin

<<Did you get the engine separate from the car? If not, get the VIN and do a Carfax check.

Not sure if Subaru did it on the SVX (or any car for that matter), but the VIN could be stamped on the engine block.>>

the vin isn't stamped on the engine. the engine number is. the only way someone can tell if the engine is the original is running the car vin, and then the engine number designated for the car will come up on a certain program.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:08 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
No idea on milage...this engine had been swapped (and apparently in a fire also as much of the engine harness was fried tho the harness on the car was fine).
Old 11-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:

snip>

Here's a 60,000 mile motor I took apart last summer in mint condition...with a 90mm stroke and a worse rod ratio as well (1.65 rather than 1.74).
snip<

Hi Tycho, I have been trying to find the length of the conrod, center to center. I take it from your quote "that the ratio is. 1.74", that the rod length is 130.5 mm, center to center. Is this correct ?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:08 PM
GJSVX

sweet pics, thx
Old 11-29-2004, 02:39 AM
Tycho

I took that 1.74 number from the EJ22 which has the same bore and stroke...and rod length.

130.5 sounds right.

With 1.75-1.80 being an ideal compromise between powerband, piston acceleration, dwell time, etc...it's a nice number to have.