How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2001, 09:49 PM
deadeye95

"there is some clunking going on in the driveline that could be tranny or cv joints or somthing else ".....

I've had a clunk coming from what seems to be my front right wheel for about 20K miles. I don't think it is the transmission, just happens between the 1st and 2nd gear shift.

I bought mine new in '94 - has 90K on it now. Like some other members, economic reasons has me doting on other vehicles (heck, even my Kawasaki now has a higher realistic trade in value than the SXV).

Why so I still own it??? I don't turn back at my other car in the parking lot at work and look at it and think how cool it is. Also, I actually listen to the radio in the other car - because I don't LOVE the way the engine sounds.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:01 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXPlanes
Interesting to note how the SVX seems to be an 'old man's car' I remember seeing in the "Motor Trend" Owners Survey in '93 that something like 70% of the owners were over 50. I was down in the 10% somewhere...
Interesting enough, I noticed that 'some of you' here are older men. kind of scary like talking to my uncles or someone's older than my dad or whoever(have to show respect)

Old man's car??? This car looks cool and great to all people. I call those cars like camry, accord or similar types as grandpa's car If SVX is an old man's car, I don't know what they are. My guess is, year '92 and '93, the price tag of an SVX only more older men were richer to buy. In fact, I also noticed that a lot of second, third SVX owners are young, young men. Used SVXes are way cheaper

While looking for my SVX, I read something interesting, 60% of the SVX owners are the doctors? Ever heard about it? How many of ya are doctors?

PS: This is my 100th post. I'm graduated and retired.....

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-02-2002, 08:49 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95
"there is some clunking going on in the driveline that could be tranny or cv joints or somthing else ".....

I've had a clunk coming from what seems to be my front right wheel for about 20K miles. I don't think it is the transmission, just happens between the 1st and 2nd gear shift.

I bought mine new in '94 - has 90K on it now. Like some other members, economic reasons has me doting on other vehicles (heck, even my Kawasaki now has a higher realistic trade in value than the SXV).

Why so I still own it??? I don't turn back at my other car in the parking lot at work and look at it and think how cool it is. Also, I actually listen to the radio in the other car - because I don't LOVE the way the engine sounds.
I just read a post from a gentleman I've gotten to know from the UK club (via e-mail, etc, of course). He owned a car dealership there. He garaged his SVX in favor of his Merc CLK. He tried to sell the SVX but couldn't get any serious inquiries. He decided to go out an drive the SVX recently and realized how great a car it was. He took the SVX off the market and sold the CLK!!! How's that for one heckuva statement and story? M30svx, welcome back to SVX-dom!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-02-2002, 11:32 AM
lightning_8669

1992 in 2000

Bought mine in 2000 with 98,000 miles on it (very young in Subaru years). Have had a rash of problems with the thing but mostly due to Subaru dealers unable to repair problems adequately. The car turns heads everywhere I go even though the body is starting to show the results of 10 years of Wisconsin winter salt baths (poor beast).

My bride recently suggested I buy and "ordinary" car to drive regularly. Then I could get a "fun" car to take out a few times a year. "You know, one that doesn't cost so much to fix, like a Porsche or something". "Like a PORSCHE!?!?!?" I said. "CHEAP like a PORSHE?!?" I said. "Yeah" she says. She's not to good with machines folks. The SVX is a "fun" car that is an "everyday" car (I'd never call it "ordinary") and should be used as such.

One of my favorite things to do in the SVX occurrs when I'm on the phone (something I *hate* when I'm driving, but having split personalities it doesn't really affect our driving ability ) and entering the interstate. I floor the car as soon as I start the on ramp and hold the throttle down until the person on the other end of the line says "What the Hell is THAT?!" and I say "Oh, that's just me passing 80" I love that.

The car still pushes the pavement out behind it with 142,000 miles on it. And besides, what other car will go 0-60 in 7 seconds flat? In the snow that is?
Old 01-02-2002, 02:25 PM
Lowered SVX

bought my 94 used in 98.....

with only 25,000 miles on the dial. now it is up just over 80,000, looking good and running strong. although it was recently given the a-hole treatment (some punk kid keyed it three times on the hood.)
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-02-2002, 03:52 PM
zollinw

I appreciate everyone's encouragement to perform the necessary maintenance and never really seriously considered otherwise; however, sometimes it helps to first take a deep breath and have others egging you on. I'll keep you updated when I take the plunge. To answer other questions in this string: Yes, I am a MD and Porsche service is not that much more expensive, although certain 911 specific items are much more, such as a $250 wheel alignment and a $200 oil change. But you are right. There is nothing like a SVX, and even after more then 9 years of driving it, it is still a blast to drive that gets plenty of "thumbs up" from people who think it is a brand new model. Bill
Old 01-02-2002, 03:58 PM
Lowered SVX

yeah that is really funny......

people are always shocked to hear my car is a 94. they usually think it is new or almost new. of course now with the hood scratches i should no longer have that problem.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-02-2002, 04:15 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95
Exactly.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Actually if I weren't buying an SVX I'd be looking for a nice 928...

Beav
Old 01-02-2002, 11:49 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: yeah that is really funny......

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
people are always shocked to hear my car is a 94. they usually think it is new or almost new. of course now with the hood scratches i should no longer have that problem.
I know I posted this after "Autofest" but, it bears repeating in this context.

Some people who walked past our four SVXes, turned up their noses and were heard to comment, "what are they doing here, they're 2002 models." Those who were curious enough to walk over were dumbfounded to see '92, '93 and '94 on our window plaquards. One of my favorite comments (Besides the elderly lady who asked, "who makes the Subaru?), was from an admirer of the car who said, "I didn't know there were enough of these left to get four together." We invited him to the 10th anniversary meet.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-03-2002, 05:37 AM
lightning_8669

who makes the Subaru?

When I first moved into the house I now live in 10 years ago my neighbor asked me what kind of car I drove (I had a GL hatchback at the time). I told him it was a Subaru. "Oh" he said, "Aren't those made in France?". I told him Subarus were now being built in Ohio or Indiana but that mine came from Moscow. I don't know if he's ever figured it out. But he was pleased when I pulled a huge willow trunk out of his back yard with the thing.

As for turning heads with the SVX I still only seem to manage to attract high school girls and policemen

Sigh, such is life.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:50 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Cool

<<I still only seem to manage to attract high school girls>>

After getting to know you, I figured you'd be happy with that.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 01-03-2002, 09:55 AM
lightning_8669

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
<<I still only seem to manage to attract high school girls>>

After getting to know you, I figured you'd be happy with that.

Doug
Yeah but the house spouse takes issue. But hey, I wouldn't have to worry about being able to live on half of what I make during my prison stay "But officer, she *looked* like she was 18!"
Old 01-04-2002, 03:22 AM
One teal and One yellow

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I just read a post from a gentleman I've gotten to know from the UK club (via e-mail, etc, of course). He owned a car dealership there. He garaged his SVX in favor of his Merc CLK. He tried to sell the SVX but couldn't get any serious inquiries. He decided to go out an drive the SVX recently and realized how great a car it was. He took the SVX off the market and sold the CLK!!! How's that for one heckuva statement and story? M30svx, welcome back to SVX-dom!
could you still show us the details? let's read & enjoy together.

Old 01-04-2002, 03:35 AM
One teal and One yellow

Re: bought my 94 used in 98.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
with only 25,000 miles on the dial. now it is up just over 80,000, looking good and running strong. although it was recently given the a-hole treatment (some punk kid keyed it three times on the hood.)
welcome back, 94redsvx, you seemed to be away a while.

"Don't get mad, get Glad!!" (see that TV ad)

have you tried some really good scratches removers? such as GS-27 that on the TV, but wondering how they help...

i'd the same experiences as you on my black '94 alt se tinted glass + gldpackage. (pretty nice, cute-looking car) i got a few really deep scratches on my trunk, spoiler thru the license plate cover. i got really pi$$ed off. dino y those b@$tard wanted to do that..