How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-01-2001, 01:37 PM
dart

Tires

Its about time for a new set of all weather tires. What do you guys put on your SVX's? Would like good wet weather/snow adhesion and something quiet.

I'm thinking Yokahama AVSdb?

Last edited by dart; 12-01-2001 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2001, 06:31 PM
Zombie

I had Toyo Proxes T1S on my eclipse. thats what I plan to run on the sVX as soon as the pep boys junkers are gone. I loved the traction of the toyo tires. Wet and dry. Quiet too.
Old 12-01-2001, 07:50 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by Zombie
I had Toyo Proxes T1S on my eclipse. thats what I plan to run on the sVX as soon as the pep boys junkers are gone. I loved the traction of the toyo tires. Wet and dry. Quiet too.
Is it an AWD? I was looking at those cars till I stumbled across a local SVX. Those turbo eclipse/talon/lasers are fast!
Old 12-01-2001, 08:39 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
A tire for all seasons

I have been using Dunlop D60A2's for three seasons and Dunlop Graspics for winter, but the D60's are almost worn out and the Graspics finished their life last winter. I have an old set of Continental Touring Contacts in the basement, and I think I'll put them on for the winter this year....they have about three times the tread depth left than the old D60's have. I would buy a new set, but I just spent the BIG bucks today puting new shocks and new Blizzaks on my Swift GT twincam. It is my drive to work car, so I couldn't neglect it; it also just turned over 152k and still purrs like a kitten! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 12-02-2001, 10:42 AM
Zombie

DART: My eclipse was a GSX Turbo all wheel drive. By the time I got done tweaking it, i was getting high 13s at the drags. They key word here is WAS. I tweaked it budget style and it started to destroy the stock components. Over one weekend the valves developed a clatter, the water pump started howling, and the clutch slipped. I had the car for a year and a half and I put about 50k miles on it. I drove the snot out of it too. I was really impressed with the way that car held up to the kind of abuse I gave it. I'm afraid to drive the SVX they way I drove that car... good thing too... I dont think the SVX would like it.
Old 12-02-2001, 01:27 PM
0260N4

I am currently using the Toyo Proxes on the SVX and have been very satisfied with them. They are a very quiet tire and provide good to excellent traction, even on the ice. They are not inexpensive however as this set was over $600 according to the reciept that came with the car.

0260N4

PS I had an Eagle Talon TSi before this and it was very fast until the timing belt broke and the top end had to be replaced. Hope this never happens with my Suby.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
PS I had an Eagle Talon TSi before this and it was very fast until the timing belt broke and the top end had to be replaced. Hope this never happens with my Suby.
It won't - its a non-interference design engine.

I have actually broken the timing belt 3 times in my wagon (I just drive them until they break and then have it towed) I've only had it replaced ahead of time once and that was at only about 30k miles after a new one it started knocking - must have been stretched out or something.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:35 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by Zombie
DART: My eclipse was a GSX Turbo all wheel drive. By the time I got done tweaking it, i was getting high 13s at the drags. They key word here is WAS. I tweaked it budget style and it started to destroy the stock components. Over one weekend the valves developed a clatter, the water pump started howling, and the clutch slipped. I had the car for a year and a half and I put about 50k miles on it. I drove the snot out of it too. I was really impressed with the way that car held up to the kind of abuse I gave it. I'm afraid to drive the SVX they way I drove that car... good thing too... I dont think the SVX would like it.
Roger that on the SVX. The DSM's ain't cheap to fix...but at least
you can get parts
Old 12-02-2001, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Alright, to get this back ON topic

I just purchased and had installed Dunlop Sport A2's in the original 225/50-16 size. I have had them about two weeks and have been very impressed so far. Can't report on snow traction yet, but very good on the wet roads Detroit has had for the last week.

Got them for $95 ea. at Discount Tire. They will always quote you higher at the store, just bring in a copy of their ad or TireRacks ad and they'll match or beat the price.

I've also used Pirelli P7000 SuperSport and Bridgestone RE940's on the car. DO NOT buy the Pirelli's they sound like a bearing failing after about 10K miles. I can't speak highly enough about the RE940's. Very long-lived and quiet.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:29 PM
dart

Re: Alright, to get this back ON topic

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
I just purchased and had installed Dunlop Sport A2's in the original 225/50-16 size. I have had them about two weeks and have been very impressed so far. Can't report on snow traction yet, but very good on the wet roads Detroit has had for the last week.

Got them for $95 ea. at Discount Tire. They will always quote you higher at the store, just bring in a copy of their ad or TireRacks ad and they'll match or beat the price.

I've also used Pirelli P7000 SuperSport and Bridgestone RE940's on the car. DO NOT buy the Pirelli's they sound like a bearing failing after about 10K miles. I can't speak highly enough about the RE940's. Very long-lived and quiet.
Thanks for the info
Old 12-03-2001, 07:51 PM
george miller

tires

The original bridgestone RE 95 were great but $$$, the Bridgestone 940's were a less expensive alternative that took me thru many winter ski trips. I had my first winter accident on the noisy pirelli 7000 SS last year. I still have the pirelli's on my old car and I will find out about goodyear RS-A's on my 97 SVX. The RS-A's are much quieter as compared to the pirelli's but they haven't seen snow yet.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
The original owner got 86,000 miles out of her original RE-95s (Don't ask me how she did it) At $200 each to replace she went with the Bridgestone RE-940s. I got the car when it had 30,000 miles on them. Ieventually replaced them at 48,000 with the Yokohama AVS db and couldn't be happier. They got me through a rural Maryland winter flawlessly and are exceptionally quiet. (The RE-940 and the RE-92 get rather noisy to me after about 20,000 miles)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-04-2001, 05:37 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by svxcess
The original owner got 86,000 miles out of her original RE-95s (Don't ask me how she did it) At $200 each to replace she went with the Bridgestone RE-940s. I got the car when it had 30,000 miles on them. Ieventually replaced them at 48,000 with the Yokohama AVS db and couldn't be happier. They got me through a rural Maryland winter flawlessly and are exceptionally quiet. (The RE-940 and the RE-92 get rather noisy to me after about 20,000 miles)
Think I'm going with the Yokahama's too. Thanks for the input