SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-13-2004, 07:50 AM
JackieBeans

ALmost

Glenn, I said almost . . . .
Old 05-13-2004, 08:25 AM

Discovery: A complimentary article in some automotive magazine read in a doctor's office, 1991. (Talked it over with my wife, decided our budget couldn't take the hit, stuck with the Legacy.)

Sole sighting: Roughly ten years later, viewed from across a southern Vermont highway while filling the tank of my weary GL wagon. (Wow.)

Rediscovery: Summer 2003, while checking-out late 90s Legacys and Foresters online. (Also test-drove a $7000 Impreza from a local lot and got to thinking, "Geez, these beautiful SVXs are goin' for half that. Hmm...")

Purchase: November 2003, from a Subaru dealership in southern Georgia; found on AutoTrader.com ()

dcb
Old 05-13-2004, 09:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
We've always been a multi-car family. We've usually had a practical car and a sporty car (SAABS & Toyota sedan, Supra & Mitsu sedan or Supra & Chrysler sedan) We were getting a replacement Outback for the one that Rosie totaled and walked away from. Our lease on our original Suby, a '96 OB was soon up and we did not need two wagons anymore. I saw a used SVX on the dealership lot and we both wanted a sporty car again like our Supra. So, we both test drove the SVX and were hooked. We were told by the salesman that '97 was the last year that Subaru was making SVXes. We picked out a color (Bordeaux Pearl ---burgundy) and I told him to find us a new LSi in that color. Luckily, one was found in the Baltimore area. We had it driven to our favorite Suby dealership in PA. Subaru wanted to get rid of them in '97 so there were all sorts of factory rebates on new SVXes. We got a great deal. on both the OB & SVX since we were buying 2 cars at basically the same time, from the samre dealership. It's good to have money (ask Earl ). That's how we got into SVXes.

SAAB has an interesting ad saying that most people who test drive a SAAB buy one. I believe that the same is true of the SVX.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:19 PM

I remember seeing my first SVX. The guy was passing me in traffic on the freeway. I was driving my ex-rental Dodge Colt. I remember thinking "lucky rich guy". The combination of flat six, AWD and that never-before-seen styling made an impression. I never thought about him or the SVX much after that until we found an Outback in our household. I became a fan of that car the first time I drove it. In between the Colt and the Outback were a truck and my wife's Miata.

The Miata was her aspirational car. She had wanted one since they were introduced with the '90 model. When she told me after having it for three years that she wanted to sell it, I didn't believe her. In the spring of 2001, she told me to prep it and advertise it. We started talking about what she wanted to replace it. Life with the Outback was good and I was reminded of the SVX. I showed her John's SVX website and she looked at the pictures of the car. She smiled. We discussed the known shortcomings but she was grabbed by the Guigaro design from the first. When she drove one for the first time, her mind was made up. The first guy that came to look at the Miata bought it. As he drove off, we got into the Outback and drove out to Carter Subaru, where I knew there were two SVX's on the lot. The Ebony Pearl LSi came home.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'd always admired the SVX, but before I owned one I figured I probably never would. I was looking for a car and I was interested in Outbacks. I stumbled on an SVX in the local dealer's lot, back in the corner with the other cars earmarked for wholesale. This particular one had obviously been flood-damaged. It wouldn't start and had terrible electrical problems.

Another guy was perusing the wholesale section and told me, 'you know, if you want one of these, I saw a really nice red one at the Dodge dealer.'

He was right - it was really nice. I traded my '87 Toyota pickup for it and got a hell of a deal. They wanted $9k and said they'd give me $1500 for my truck. I eventually got them down to $6800 and they gave me $3k for my truck.

That was October of '99. I still love that car...<sigh>

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-13-2004, 03:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I was looking for something relieable, with desent milage,and around $5K. I was set from one lot that didnt have anything near my price range to check out another lot. I was think anbout a honda or Toyota,something like that. The only thing I saw on the lot forsale that I liked was a Honda Accord 2-dr, but they wanted $11K and it had 50K Miles on it, not a deal in my book. As I started to walk away the dealer came out and asked if I saw anything I liked. (Being the sarcastic person that I am) I said the red car I parked beside in the custormer lot was nice shame it's not forsale. The dealer said, "Accually we just got the paper work signed over to us." I asked how much?" The Dealer replyed $8K and it only has 20K Miles." As we left for a test drive the dealer says, " See that Jag pulling out?, THat is the guy that just traded the car in." 2 Hours later I was driving home in my (like) new '94 L. Considering I was looking for a Civic, accord, or Camary, I think I got a good deal. $3000 more than I wanted to pay, but 4x the car with have the mileage I was exspecting to get for $5000. I fell in love with it after the fact. And the more I drive it the more I love it.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to mudfoot76
I saw my first SVX shortly before I graduated from high school. I know now that it was a '92 pearlie. "WTF is that? Those windows are awesome!" [I had no idea that Subaru was capable of making such a beautiful car ]

Fast forward to 1999. I am graduating from college, have a job lined up, and I'm shopping for my first car. I had seen some Imprezas driving around and thought they looked neat. Sporty and with AWD, what isn't to like? I test drove one, but did not like it in comparison to an Acura Integra. Still shopping around though -- at a Toyota (!!) dealer. A green '92 that was loaded with everything. After taking it for a drive, I knew I had to have one. Luckily, on the advice of my parents, I took the car to Subaru for an inspection, and the car was a time bomb -- bad wheel bearnings, leaking PS rack, and a tranny that was ready to die. I was heartbroken....until I saw the '94 LS-L, 73K miles, Laguna Blue (the very best color IMHO ) sitting in the used lot. It even had a warranty! So what if it is only front-wheel? There is nothing else like it on the road. I wanted my first car to be something memorable. I certainly was the envy of my friends, stuck with Plymoth Acclaim, or Pontiac Grand Spams

I've had it ever since. Just turned 130,000 miles with it last week. It is my daily driver. When the tranny on mine failed last october, and I was told $4,000 for repairs, I seriously considered getting something new. I drove several different Bimmers, an RX-8, Audi TT, Audi S4, Impreza WRX, but none of them were better than my SVX. Some might accelerate faster, or corner slightly better, or have AWD, etc. But none of them did it all together(except the E46 M3 which was out of my price range anyway) as well as my SVX. I was actually kind of disappointed. In 10 years, some of the worlds best automakers cannot build something that is faster, more comfortable, and more economical than my SVX???

I guess it just goes to show the amazing achievement of the designers and engineers at Subaru...
2005 Mini Cooper S
Sold: 1994 LS-L Laguna Blue [to sxewhodey]
Old 05-15-2004, 10:29 AM

Registered SVX
Not love at first sight

I never laid eyes on an SVX before October of 2001. After not having seen him for 12+ years, I drove from Pittsburgh to Cumberland to visit svxfiles and he took me for a ride in his. I was not impressed, but then again, I wasn't there to see the car. As I recall, the first time I drove it, I didn't like the windows. Fast forward to 9 months later when I hit a deer with my "sensible" car -- a 2001 Chevy Prizm LSI. I had driven svxfiles' SVX a few times, but never for any length of time or great distance. He lent me his car while mine was being repaired in Cumberland and I drove it back and forth to Pittsburgh a few times, and I was hooked! I think the handling was what appealed to me the most, not to mention the power (acceleration and top speed. I started "lurking" on the forums and felt comfortable with the members here, so when a member (JensSXV) posted that she was selling hers, we drove down and picked it up (a 5-hour drive) in spite of the bad (READ: DANGEROUS) wheel bearing.

4 SVX's later, we're still constantly checking out ebay for another one, either for parts or a great deal on a color/year we don't have yet.

Are we crazy (about our cars) or what?!!!!

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 05-15-2004, 11:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
I remember back in high school, a guy said to me that he was going to buy a Subaru SVX and I told him that it was crap (cause it wasn't made Ford). Anyway, he did get it, then totalled it.

Almost a year ago, my father said to me that one of his coworkers was selling his car and asked if I'd be interested. We went over to his house and I got the keys. I took it out for probably 40 minutes while my dad socialized with the owner. When I came back, I told my dad that this car knocked the socks off my Probe. That was the end of that. Got a super deal on the car and I've put about 11k on it since! Now, when my dad sees the original owner, he asks if he could buy the car back, or at least drive it once in a while.

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 05-16-2004, 09:04 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

i got into a bad accident with a 2002 honda accord back in sept 2003.....so i was looking for another car to buy.....ive always loved subaru's.....my dad did too....so i saw the svx for sale in a magazine and i gave the owner a call....i didnt know anything about the svx....so i met the owner the following day and absolutley fell in love with the car......it was barcelona red with nice konig rims and the paint and everything was in beautiful condition......then he let me drive it and i easily hit 125 on the highway.....at that moment when i passed by the new york state trooper doing 120 i thought to myself " holy crap i need to buy this car...............and mayb slow down "........i paid alot for the car i bought it for 5,800 dollars and it had 89 k on it....but it was well worth it.....i get so much attention driving it and everyone loves it.....im obsessed with my SVX !
Old 05-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Crash

blew the timing belt on my eclipse and spent the next few months shopping for a jeep wrangler which I have obsessed over for years. I saw a blurry picture in a used car mag and wondered what it was. That ad ran only that week. I saw it that night drove it the next day. Said 'the jeep can wait' and a year and 21,000 mi later I grow more obsessed with this unique little tank.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:43 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
my SVX history

I first noticed the SVX, a 1993 Claret/Black two tone with spoiler, sitting in a Toyota dealer lot, early summer in 1998. I was driving a POS Plymouth Acclaim at the time and was a starving student with absolutely no means with which to upgrade my wheels. I stopped by just to check it out; I had never seen anything like that before and the big "4x4" sticker they put on it to sell it caught my eye. I've always had a 'thing' for 2 door, AWD sporty cars (Eagle Talon, Dodge Stealth, etc).

Surprisingly the sales person let me take it for a spin. "Love at first drive" would be a good way to describe my feelings at the time, but they wanted $19k (CAD) for it and it had some issues, like noisy bearings, broken power window switch, and a few other niggles that I now forget. It had recently been traded in by a doctor for an "upgrade" to a Lexus SUV (what a fool!). I would have sold my soul, or possibly my girlfriend at the time to won it, but alas, my morals stopped me.

Fast forward to 5.5 years later, my Acclaim long since replaced by a 1997 Dodge Stratus (best-looking 4-door ever, IMHO). But the ol' Acclaim, Babe the Blue Ox, was getting old and beat, with nearly 200k on the clock and repairs in the near future.

I just got a better job and I wanted something new. What do I like, and what do I want? Well, the Stratus is a nice car, certainly, especially after the 2" drop on the coilovers, but it lacks power. I considered Mustangs, but they're too obvious, too common, and too much police targets. Then I remembered: I always wanted one of those weird Subaru coupes... it's a long shot, probably won't find one, but I'll try autotrader anyway.

So, I replaced the Ox with a new SVX. Drove 12 hours away just to find my 1992 Liquid Silver & Black LS-L Touring, less than 100k (miles) on it. Paid way too much money ($8900 CAD), and way too little attention to all the warning signs that this car had seen better days. I didn't care: I wanted to give her a good home.

So I did, and I swore to her that I'd help her shine in her old age. When the old stuff breaks, I vowed to replace it better than new. Rad blew, got a brand new one for a later model. Tranny went, will be replacing with a 5 speed (likely a WRX smallcar kit). CD player is shot, so I'm putting one in from a WRX. Driver side fog light is not working... I'll fix it and get new light bar lenses from smallcar. Trunk release is missing, so I'll replace it with a nice aluminum piece. Paint is bad (she's been repainted partially) and clearcoat is cracking, so she will get a new paintjob soon. Hood doesn't fit properly, so new carbon fibre replacement it will be. Exhaust is buzzing, so Stebro, here I come. Rear rims are bent, so new ones are on the menu. Might as well upgrade the brakes while I'm at it. Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, I did: a good friend of mine lives in Japan. When the suspension needs redoing, she's getting Flatt Racing coilovers. Nothing beats coilovers for spirited driving and improving handling. Comfort means very little to my tastes; besides, I like it rough. ;-)

Last edited by Nemesis Destiny; 05-16-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

In 1995 I started a new job in Englewood, NJ. That is a higher priced area where homes can be $1M easy and taxes are $30k per year. I walked into the local Ford Porche Subaru dealer and there it was..... a 1995 pearly. My eye bugged out of head. What a beautiful car I thought. How much is that? I saw the sticker.... a $28,000 dollar price sticker. My heart fell...... not in this life time I thought. Life is funny like that sometimes. I put the car out of mind. No use torturing myself over something I could not afford.

Then in 2000 I was looking for another car to add as my son was starting to drive. I called up the dealer in Allentown, PA which is in a much lower reant district tahn Englewood. They had just gotten in an SVX. I bought it that night. It wasn't perfect and I paid to much for it but I fell in love with it. I bought the car without knowing what I was getting into.

It changed my life.

Now all I need is 40 mpg.