Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-21-2001, 12:06 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Tranny EMERGENCY!!! Please HELP!!!

Today, while driving home from work, I noticed that I had a nice smoke trail going. To make a long story short, I pulled over and found that a clamp on a tranny line had fallen off allowing the hose to come off, spewing tranny fluid everywhere. My grandpa came and gave me some Dexron II fluid (2 qts) with which i was able to drive 15 miles to my house. I repaired the line and filled with the DII fluid I had, but I was still low after adding 4 qts. I went to the only 24 hour station within 20 miles of me and they had no Dexron II, just Dexron IIE. I bought 2 quarts and that's what's in the tranny now. I will HAVE to drive the 20 mi to work tomorrow morning on this fluid. My question is, can I keep that fluid in there permanently, or do I need to change the fluid now? I won't be able to see your responses until I'm at work tomorrow, but I still appreciate any input. For now, it's my bed time. I'll elaborate more tomorrow. I'm tired.
Mat-1
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 11-21-2001, 03:37 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
I dont predict and problems with having the mix of Dextron II and DexIIE. I do advise a tranny flush in the near future and replace with Dextron III.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 11-21-2001, 07:50 AM

Why III?

Why Dexron III. The manual says to use II. I assume III wasn't out in 92 when my manual was made, but I didn't know III could replace II.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 11-21-2001, 08:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Why III?

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
Why Dexron III. The manual says to use II. I assume III wasn't out in 92 when my manual was made, but I didn't know III could replace II.
I can't even FIND Dexron II if I look for it. I've been told by many so far that Dexron III is supposed to work in anything that tells you it needs Dexron II.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I filled my power steering with Dexron III because the auto store didn't even carry II.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-21-2001, 10:46 AM
Lowered SVX

jesus mat....

your luck is almost as bad as mine. at least you noticed before it was too late and your damn tranny ceased. good luck and i hope you suffer no long term problems.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-21-2001, 11:52 AM
Zombie

Dexron 3 has some conditioners and life enhancing agents that had not been invented in 92. I would actually probably use MOPAR +3 ATF. I used that in my street fighter trans in my old fullsize truck... works great, and seems to condition better than dexron. It firmed up the shifts a little too (mabey my imagination)
Old 11-21-2001, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the replies...puts my mind at ease knowing that the IIE is OK for the tranny. I'll get it flushed sometime just to get at least the same kind of fluid throughout. It ran fine today, so I'm not worried. On the same topic, kinda, I was messing around with my TPS this week. I turned it all the way clockwise and noticed more lag. I turned it about 1/8 inch off center counter clockwise and it seemed to shift more readily. Sometimes my tranny holds a gear way too long. With the slight ccw turn, it seemed to be aggressive in shifting. It idled at 1k, though. That's all I didn't like about it. When I started to see smoke I figured I had smoked something by messing with the TPS. Good thing it was just spilled fluid . I've put well over 5 qts in now, so it really lost a lot of fluid. I figure 1/2 to 1 more quart before I'm completely full, too. What an experience. As I was told earlier, at least I was lucky enough to catch it.

Old 11-21-2001, 07:55 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

I told this story before, so those that heard it can change channels.
I had a similar "depletion" of tranny fluid on a '70 Olds Cutlass many years ago. I drove 40 miles smoking all the way, stopping every 10 miles to add a quart of fluid. I knew the car had a "slow" leak, so I always carried several quarts in the trunk. When I arrived home it took 6 quarts to fill it. The filler tube had cracked, which hastened the slow leak. Anyway after welding the crack, all was fine.
The car never showed any lasting effects of this incident, & I drove it another 100K with no problems. Say what you want about American "junk", the GM350 automatic was bazooka proof.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:17 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
I've put well over 5 qts in now, so it really lost a lot of fluid. I figure 1/2 to 1 more quart before I'm completely full, too. What an experience. As I was told earlier, at least I was lucky enough to catch it.
I know from experience (don't ask) that the transmission will continue to put power to the wheels (slipping like hell, but still a little but of power) if you are down 6 quarts. At 6 quarts or so lost, the car will stop moving.

So if you drove it until the car would move no more, you're probably short about 1 quart.

VK