Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-12-2001, 01:34 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Tranny binding cure?

As most of you know, I have been complaining about my transmission binding in tight turns for the last few years. Well back on Nov 3rd. John (Lightning), Ken, and I (mostly John) replaced my timing belt, water pump, thermostat, radiator, external tranny filter, and added an external tranny cooler in place of the radiator cooler.

We replaced about 1/2 of the tranny fluid using my now famous Backyard T-Tec style tranny flushing system. Ever since then, I have had no binding in the system during slow speed turns. It is as smooth as can be maneuvering into parking spaces. I have had the fluid changed in the past with no change in binding condition.

I post the thought that the old filter and probably clogged original 92 radiator cooler were creating backpressure on the tranny system and that extra pressure was what was causing the binding.

Anyone else with binding want to replace their filter and bypass the radiator cooler with an aftermarket and tell me if the binding goes away?

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-12-2001, 01:48 PM
lightning_8669

Doug,

Don't forget to tell them about refilling the block with coolant after the radiator/pump/thermostat replacement.

Also, I did not have noticable binding before I replaced my filter and cooler but I did have problems with my transfer clutch destructing on a regular basis until they were replaced. I do, however, have a persistent rear trans seal leak. Making quite a mess in the driveway. Which reminds me I need to make a phone call to my buddies in Waukesha.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:53 PM

<<Don't forget to tell them about refilling the block with coolant after the radiator/pump/thermostat replacement. >>

Good Point!

To anyone replacing their water pump, radiator or hoses: The block drains relatively quickly. After refilling, idle the engine with the heat on and the radiator cap open for at least 5 minutes and fill radiator as it depletes. It will save you trouble when you drive home and an air pocket causes your engine to heat up...
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 11-12-2001, 02:01 PM
lightning_8669

Doug,

You are going to also post the photos and procedures when you find the time?

Aside from the stubborn crank pulley bolt (and the cam drive pulley bolt) the job wasn't all that bad. The hoist was a big plus for the old back though.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:30 PM

<<You are going to also post the photos and procedures when you find the time?>>

That reads like a statement, but yes, I will when I get time. Right now I'm concentrating on getting the rough plumbing done for the master bath. I've had to make some pretty funky bends to get the traps and vents in alignment without sticking out below the ceiling level. I'm going to have the inspector come out and look it over BEFORE I start gluing.

BTW: I love PEX tubing for supply lines. I plumbed all the fixtures from basement to bathroom in about 2 hours!

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 11-13-2001, 05:56 AM
lightning_8669

Sorry for the lack of a question mark. Didn't mean to order you around

I didn't think you could use PEX for potable water lines. At least that's what my plumber friend told me. I just got done sweating together a couple miles of copper pipe. Bathroom remodel AND new hydronic heaters. I have my fingers crossed that there will be no leaks.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:40 AM

<<I didn't think you could use PEX for potable water lines. At least that's what my plumber friend told me.>>

Milwaukee allowed it as of June 1, 2001. I'm glad I procrastinated. You could have used it for your hydronic heaters, that's been code for years. My whole hydronic heating system is PEX based. Just get the oxygen barrier PEX for closed loop heating systems.

Plumber Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 11-13-2001, 10:23 AM
lightning_8669

Learn sumthin everyday! I still like melting metal and the look of copper pipe. Besides, the house spouse can't stand the smell of the cleaner and adhesive for the plastic stuff. I'm also not sure what Racine allows, although I've never asked Like my electrician says "Everything is legal as long as no one looks". Apparently no one looked at the work the previous home owner did. Nearly electricuted myself doing some investigation. Amazing the place didn't burn down.

Of course everyone is probably wondering what this all has to do with transmission binding