How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-12-2004, 11:50 AM
[BrUn]

Question Weird steering problem

Sometimes my steering come really hard to turn like If the svx was not power steering and when I'm turning the steering in a low 90 degrees turn, it doesn't come back by itself, I have to make the steering come back quickly by myself. Most of the time it's correct, it seems to happen more often when the car is cold. It's only happening in low speed. The PS oil level is fine and I don't really hear any loud groaning or sound coming from the steering like it's happening when the ps o-ring is bad.

Any idea?

Bruno
Old 01-12-2004, 05:13 PM

Registered SVX
If you have the speed sensitive steering like I do, I am guessing that it is the valve in the rack that recieves inputs on the speed of the car is sticking. Mine seems to be heavy when going up a hill at less than 30mph. It doesn't seem to repeat for my mechanic. Someday I will have to replace the rack and will see if the symptom goes away.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:33 AM
[BrUn]

Thank you! I'll try to check that way with my mehcanic.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Replace your O-ring. Since I've done it my power steering has been great.

- Rob
Old 01-14-2004, 08:50 AM

Registered SVX
O-ring changes over the past couple of years have not changed this inconsistant low speed boost for me. Some days it is ok.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Mandi's SVX has a very similiar problem, but it's more at speed...if I try to make a really hard turn at 30+ mph, it seems like the power completely goes out. I figured it may just be the o-ring letting out too much pressure. I'll get to that this spring hopefully.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi you guys.

Burno, My SVX is doing the same thing as yours. It is definately getting worse.

At low speeds the steering is sticking. The steering wheel is hard to turn and when I let go of the wheel it stays. The wheels stay set in the turn.

At first I thought it was a slipping PS belt. The belt belt was squeeling alot this past cold snap but I know it's not that now.

Just like on your SVX the problem goes away when the car is running faster. For me it's in the 25 to 30 mph range.

I agree with Hangtownsvx that something in the rack is sticking. If I get time this weekend I will turn off the PS using the computer connector block and blue leads.(92LS-L) I did this once before by chance. It had me really worried because the PS did not work at all and I thought I broke it. I was real glad when I was able to reset it. In this case by turning off the PS it help to find the problem. I will be able to find out if it's the rack getting stuck or just a hydraulic problem. It is rather un-nerving to NOT have the steering come back to center after a turn. Eh?
Old 02-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I checked the steering codes and found in the memory Speed Sensor #2. However, currently I have no codes.

I also shut off the PS by inserting the two leads into the test and read terminals (there is a procedure for this)
and the steering is still not coming back to center. I could use some help here. I need someone else to try this test out and see if their steering comes back to center with the PS shut off.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Tired

:(

I put the Lucas treatment in mine and it fixed it for a while. It's started doing what yours is doing now that it's been cold. You can just drive in circles because the car doesn't return back to center.

I''ll try the pump cut off like you did. Do you take off the left kick panel and insert some wires? Let me know what to do and I'll give it a try.

I just put a new rack in my Mustang and it feels like a new car. Steering does not jerk around and the wheel returns back to center easier. Maybe our racks are shot in the SVXs?