SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 09:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Other AWD systems

While in FL visiting my mom, I drove her CR-V several times. Most of that was, of course, on dry pavement. But I also drove it some on sand, gravel and grass. For the most part, I'm going to skip my impressions of the car as a whole and detail the AWD system, because I thought you guys might find it interesting.

I thought that the CR-V used a viscous coupling to determine torque split. That is not the case - it actually uses a multi-plate transfer clutch - much like our SVXen. It senses the speed difference between the front and rear wheels, and decides how much torque to apply to the rear wheels.

Sounds pretty similar, huh? There are differences.

First of all, how it's all put together. The MPT, instead of being contained in the transaxle, is housed in the rear diff. Weird. Second, the torque split seems to be very conservative - way more so than US-market Subarus. Honda flat out says that the 4WD CR-V is really front-wheel drive until it detects wheelspin. Subaru tells us that the torque split on the SVX is typically 90/10, but the CR-V seems to totally ignore the rear wheels most of the time.

Of course, we know that this makes car which understeers consistently and is therefore very predictable. I assume that Honda don't want the CR-V oversteering, ever. They'd be tipping all over the place.

I couldn't actually find an online article which said how much torque the CR-V can transfer to the rear, but I would bet that the number is 50% or less.

In operation, I found the system to be less elegant than Subaru's. In the CR-V, the front wheels had to slip noticably before the rears would help out. This, to me, seemed slow - like a viscous coupling or a broken Subaru MPT. In both my SVX and my auto Legacy, the MPT reacts before the front wheels lose grip, not after.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Shot king

My old school 87 Cherokee has an interesting setup along with the good old 4wd it has a transfer case position that can be kept in 4wd 365 days a year regardless of the weather. I rarely use this position cause of the killer effect it has on the gas mileage. I never took the time find out exactly how it works but it makes for a pretty versatile vehicle. The transfer case can be shifted into "Part time lock" ( 4wd high), "Full Time" (awd), or if needed "Part time low lock" ( 4wd low). I'm not sure how long they used the 242 transfer case but ive seen a coupla late model cherokees with it and was told that durangos had the option. Seems like a winner to me.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Certified Porschephile

I compared the AWD systems in the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV-4 to the Subaru Forester (before I got my SVX) and we decided on the Forester as it was the best looking and drove the nicest. It also had the most power!!!!!!! I think the Forester is way better then the other mini-utes. Now it has a Turbo I might have to have another talk with the wife......
Old 12-05-2003, 03:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
I compared the AWD systems in the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV-4 to the Subaru Forester (before I got my SVX) and we decided on the Forester as it was the best looking and drove the nicest. It also had the most power!!!!!!! I think the Forester is way better then the other mini-utes. Now it has a Turbo I might have to have another talk with the wife......
The RAV4 is the only car of the three you mentioned that I haven't driven. I agree - I would absolutely pick the Forester over the CR-V. The AWD system is superior, it handles far better and it has the added bonus of not feeling tippy.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-06-2003, 12:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Shot king
My old school 87 Cherokee has an interesting setup along with the good old 4wd it has a transfer case position that can be kept in 4wd 365 days a year regardless of the weather. I rarely use this position cause of the killer effect it has on the gas mileage. I never took the time find out exactly how it works but it makes for a pretty versatile vehicle. The transfer case can be shifted into "Part time lock" ( 4wd high), "Full Time" (awd), or if needed "Part time low lock" ( 4wd low). I'm not sure how long they used the 242 transfer case but ive seen a coupla late model cherokees with it and was told that durangos had the option. Seems like a winner to me.
If I recall correctly they used to call it "Quadra-trac". They had several systems under various names and I think this is the one you are referring to. At the time though it was the one to avoid as it was very problematic compared to the other less complex offerings. Perhaps one who is more into Jeeps offerings could support or negate this though.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Shot king

Cigar it was called Selec-Trac the Quadra-Drive as far as i know did'nt give ya the option of switching out of 4wd. Yes there were rumors of it not being the most reliable transfer case but those have been dashed along time ago its second in reliability to the New Process 232 transfer case (Command-Trac). It just needs to be adjusted more frequently than the other t/cases.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Cigar it was called Selec-Trac the Quadra-Drive as far as i know did'nt give ya the option of switching out of 4wd. Yes there were rumors of it not being the most reliable transfer case but those have been dashed along time ago its second in reliability to the New Process 232 transfer case (Command-Trac). It just needs to be adjusted more frequently than the other t/cases.
That does indeed ring a bell. Thanks! I knew there would be someone who knew these things better than I.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:04 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
my '01 grand cherokee has the "quadra-drive" system. it's a full-time 4wd system with the capability of going into 4-low.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles