IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Breck SVX

Carbon Intake Manifold...mmm

...all yours plus an engine for only $8,500
(though that was 3 years ago)
http://www.sdsefi.com/air34.htm
Out of curiosity, how much do you think it would cost to fabricate something like that?

I was trying to find that web page that has a pretty nice detailed section on svx engines for aircraft use but couldn't find it, does anyone know the link?

-Alex
Old 11-13-2003, 12:04 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Man, those headers look so shibby.

- Rob
Old 11-13-2003, 07:52 PM

to bad he dident use the eg33 after the crash.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Interesting. It seems there is, after all, a solution to the fuel management issues that have many saying that you will never be able to due too serious of a turbo mod to the EG33. Looks like the airplane folks have always known that which eludes many who want to turbo charge the SVX. Thing to find out is whether or not there is any reason it would not be adaptable to the SVX.

Quote:
Another major change was to discard the stock EFI controller and replace it with a simpler and more suitable dual redundant, fully programmable EFI which had been specifically designed for aircraft use. I chose the FuelnFire - manufactured by Compass Avionics as I felt that it would give the flexibility, redundancy and the simplicity I was looking for. The only difficult part to this installation was the design and manufacture of a mounting arrangement for the dual cam position sensor PC board as well as a mounting plate for the trigger magnets.
Food for thought

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Interesting. It seems there is, after all, a solution to the fuel management issues that have many saying that you will never be able to due too serious of a turbo mod to the EG33. Looks like the airplane folks have always known that which eludes many who want to turbo charge the SVX. Thing to find out is whether or not there is any reason it would not be adaptable to the SVX.

Food for thought
The author does very specifically say that the EFI controller he used was designed for aircraft use. That's not to say that it couldn't be adapted to street use, but I wouldn't bet on it being very easy.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
.... was designed for aircraft use.
I'm not sure if you guys know this, but anything aircraft related = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

- Rob
Old 11-16-2003, 10:19 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
the only reason the cost of airplane engine internals is so high is because the difference between your fuel management when you're driving down the highway and your fuel management when you're flying 5000ft in the air is rather large, one, your engine shuts off and you start coasting... the other, you engine shuts off, and you die. (notice how he stated redundancy) basically though, it still means it can be done, and it can be done right... we just haven't found the right thing to do it with

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Uh, I wasn't referring to engine internals, nor was anyone else. It was about engine management electronics, and anything aviation related is EXTREMELY expensive, for the reasons you just mentioned.

- Rob
Old 11-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Porter

There are a whole host of engine management systems that will work on the SVX.

They include:

Electromotive TEC-II and TEC-III
Haltec
Motec
Microtec
Greddy E-manage
Dastek Unichip

Plus a great many more that are less well-known, like the
SDS shown in the link. Too bad it's quite slow compared to the more modern setups like the TEC.

My personal favorite for simple bolt-on tunability is the Unichip, though it's nowhere near as powerful as something like a TEC-III... you don't have to tune from scratch as with the standalone systems.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:49 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
There are a whole host of engine management systems that will work on the SVX.

They include:

Electromotive TEC-II and TEC-III
Haltec
Motec
Microtec
Greddy E-manage
Dastek Unichip

Porter, in my research into stand-alone ecu's, I've noticed that several do not have the capability to fire 6 coils. I haven't researched the ones you mentioned yet. Do they all have the capability to fire 6 coils?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Porter, in my research into stand-alone ecu's, I've noticed that several do not have the capability to fire 6 coils. I haven't researched the ones you mentioned yet. Do they all have the capability to fire 6 coils?
The Unichip and E-Manage are actually piggybacks, but yes all of the above are 6-coil compatible in some fashion. There are several models of each available. Most of the above also support forced induction, anti-lag, launch control, and all kinds of other trickery like ECU controlled nitrous maps.