How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Paxton71

Question Front wheel bearing tips and tricks?

I have done a search. I read Beav's comments on slide hammers and stuff. I do have a 12T press.

Any DIYs who have done this? I value the knowledge of "those who have gone before!" Hints/tricks?

Thanks

Last edited by Paxton71; 03-17-2003 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:00 PM
Paxton71

now that it is done, I'll post a couple

Well, that was fun.

Yes, you do need a press. The bigger the better.
My 12T didn't move the race until I started wailing on the cast housing with my hammer.

I wouldn't bother trying to do it on the car with a slide hammer.

These units were not designed to be serviced. A couple of machined notches in the housing ridge would let you get after the race with a punch and a hammer instead of a press...But that isn't part of Subaru's plan. (It was on my Volvo and Toyota.)

The FSM doesn't mention or picture that you have to have the rotor dust shield on BEFORE you start pressing the hub back together. It wouldn't be a problem if you left the pulse ring for the ABS off...

The old bearing race is great for installing the new race. The race is so thick that you can get it all the way home with the old race driving it without driving the old race into the housing (where it is hard to remove).

Toyota 8 inch differential pinion gear bearings are the perfect size for driving the bearings onto the hub shaft.

I can't figure out what keeps the hub in the bearings either. If it were not for the caliper bracket and the rotor, I think the wheel could fall off! *laughs* Why isn't there a snap ring on the hub shaft too? That would keep the shaft in the bearings better than an interference fit. I guess it's OK, it jsut doesn't sit well with my old(er) school mechanics.

I'm an old(er) school shade tree wrench turner. I prefer a brass hammer or punch to a press when installing bearings and races. I have better...FEEL. I also enjoy packing bearings by hand instead of with a bearing packer. (I know, a pro shop just doesn't have time to hand pack bearings)
Old 03-18-2003, 04:31 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Thanks for the information.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:31 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Don't ya just love looking down and seeing a part that should have gone on before you just pressed that last piece into place? Not that I've ever done that... heheheh

For safety sake never strike a race with another race. Never strike one hammer with another. The reason is that they are hardened pieces and can shatter, sending pieces of sharp metal into your flesh and/or eyes.

Once the cv shaft is in place and the large nut is torqued down there's no place for the hub to go.

BTW, the HubTamer makes a 30 minute job of this (the fronts are easier than the rear.) It's worth the money if you do these regularly.

Last edited by Beav; 03-18-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Paxton71

Thanks, Beav

Ah, that's right! The CV joint will stop it from backing out. I feel MUCH safer!

Thanks for the safety tip on race on race. I'll keep that in mind. (time to go buy the big snap-on driver set, eh?)

I really don't plan on doing wheel bearings too often. *laughs*
Old 03-18-2003, 12:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Speaking of Hub tamer, wouldn't it be great if we can just rent the set from Beav! Then send it to the next guy who needs it. Mean while Beav just gets the rental fee from one guy to the next!

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 03-18-2003, 01:10 PM
Not as old as Randy

Yeah, and the shipping cost will make it all worthwhile. I'd guess around 45#.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:55 AM
The Molinator

Smile Tame THIS!

Beav, I don't know if you saw from my (Rear Bearing) thread that I (in a weak moment) bought a HubTamer (from usatoolwaehouse) off eBay last weekend (for $205.) to do my rear bearings (you scared me, alright!). Don't have it yet, but the nice picture makes it look like a dandy little kit.

Well, I guess we'll have to start a price war on our HubTamer rental fees! I'm gonna give a discount to anyone who picks up the HubTamer for rental personally (to save those heavy shipping charges, huh!)

[Maybe if we send the HubTamer "book rate" (they'll never know!), our HubTamer rental business will boom!]

I'll let everyone know how mine works.
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 03-20-2003 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Since you don't need to use the entire tool set for a typical wheel bearing job, maybe we can just rent what's needed. But realistically, I rather have my own set since I got two subies. It was just a humorous thought!

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 03-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Not as old as Randy

You can have all the rentals you want. I'm stingy and want to keep mine all to myself. "I'm sorry but I can't do your wheel bearings until so-and-so in Timbuktu returns my tools."