SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-08-2003, 02:11 PM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
Stacey,
You really do your homework, don't you! (I trust you're that enthusiastic about your classes. )
The current cars you're seeing not only look like a better (safer) deal than you would get here, but they're a lot more convenient for you. As much as I would like to see the local claret (pics in my Locker, guys/gals) go to someone who would love it, and get Teresa out from under her burden, I think the ones you're looking at are probably more suitable for you.
For me the chase was always more exciting than ownership - until I got my SVX. Enjoy the chase, pursue your dream, and then relish the outcome.
Happy shopping.
Yes, Steve, I do my homework. I've just been slacking lately. One more month and the semester is over.
I really do like the claret color better than black now, I think it brings out the difference with the windows/windshield. The chase is making me too anxious...Butterflies in my stomach or something. I can't wait to get one. I just hope I don't get hasty. Watch, I'll get the car here and then at Reading I will be so jealous of everyone else's.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

I love the stock system. The only issue is that the speakers will eventually get brittle and tear. There are many posts about good replacement speakers. I see no need to replace the stock stereo/CD player. It gets good reception, goes loud enough to hurt my ears and looks great.

Doug
I agree with everything Doug says, if you needed a second on that.

I got my claret LS-L at in August '02 with 96K miles - the front speaker surrounds were completely vaporized, thanks to Texas heat and humidity, and were a cinch to replace with 6 1/2" Jensens. The rear speakers still sound great, which is fortunate because they're tedious to replace.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 04-08-2003, 04:54 PM
iyamwutiam

This may seem inappropriate but I would hold off and buy a car from an enthusiast on the board - like the Pittsburg guy. When you don't have money and you sink it in to a car - if it blows up on you - you are in real trouble - especially since it will be your only vehicle.
Just a word of caution - that it is a risk and unless you have an additional 2 to 3K in the bank for just in case stuff - it might be prudent to get a hold of SVX gratification impulses till you are more settled.But hey - its free advice - which means nothing.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:23 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I belive in just jumping into a deep end. That's how memories and stories are made.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-08-2003, 06:57 PM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I belive in just jumping into a deep end. That's how memories and stories are made.

L
I'm with you there I'm sure during my SVX rebuild I'm gonna have alot of things to talk about and I'm sure I'll have a real sense of pride when it is done.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXdriver_007

I'm with you there I'm sure during my SVX rebuild I'm gonna have alot of things to talk about and I'm sure I'll have a real sense of pride when it is done.
Not only that but you will be one with the car.

This is my 3rd SVX. This one, I am not going to get rid of... This one is personal and it's my hard work and tinkering that went in the most.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 04-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

Stacey, did you say this is the original owner? What's his age? What other vehicles does he have? I like the fact that he has records & besides the check engine light, all seems accounted for. Check engine lights USUALLY indicate a problem with the emission control system, so, if the car needs an emission inspection for you to buy it, I'd get SOME mechanic to do a test on it. I know - it's on e-Bay, but let this guy know you're serious IF all checks out. I too believe in the "Flash Cash" method of payment. Green always commands attention.

I don't know your financial capabilities, but I bought the identical car two plus years ago for $6,500.00 with 78K on it. It now has 115K & other than doing the recommended timing belt & other stuff, (OK, one wheel bearing) I haven't regretted the purchase for a moment.

ALWAYS assume there will be $1000 worth of odds & ends you'll need or want to do with ANY used vehicle. If you can get the car for $3-3,500, it's worth it, assuming you've driven the car, the A/C & all electrical assessories are working. The big PLUS with this car - the wheels are actually mounted correctly! A rare treat.

Good luck & try to visit the hordes in Denver uh... Reading.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:54 AM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Originally posted by iyamwutiam
This may seem inappropriate but I would hold off and buy a car from an enthusiast on the board - like the Pittsburg guy.
No, you're completely right. I would rather buy a car from someone off here because then I know that they know what they're doing and that everything will be how they say it is. I really do want to get Pittkid's car...I'm trying to work out a way to do so.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:56 AM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

L
I think anxious would be the word for me right now.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:58 AM
StaceyVX

Well, I saw the car last night and was somewhat disappointed...Here's what I saw:

The top coat was coming off the car all over, it needed new tires when he said it didn't (tread wasn't all that great), the rear left wheel well's rubber was warped, scrape on the right side of the car, sap all over the car, paint on rear spoiler was missing, leaking weather stripping near driver's rear view mirror, all wiper arms rusted, weather stripping above passenger side was warped, the seats sucked, and there was condensation on the rear left brake light. God knows what it looked like underneath...

I was expecting the "minor" dings or whatnot, but this was a little too much for me...Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist? Nah, I just don't think he's been maintaining the car since he got whatever car he is driving now. Oh and I was thankful for once to the snow because it showed the moisture in the weather stripping...Also, it was still covered and he knew I was coming to see it...So I'm guessing whenever it snowed this year (which was ALOT), he probably let the snow sit on there...Which isn't good for the wipers or car in general.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX

paint on rear spoiler was missing
That is normal. I have seen it happen in a lot of SVXes before. Someone need to find the right paint and a ton of clear coat for the back spoiler.

Quote:
weather stripping
ah... she said WEATHER STRIPPING!!!

Sorry, a MWM joke!
Old 04-09-2003, 07:48 AM
StaceyVX

Oh no! What happened? Is that not right to say?
Old 04-09-2003, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Oh no! What happened? Is that not right to say?
No... It's just a funny moment at MWM with the president's choice of reading material and his comments on it.

L
Old 04-09-2003, 08:09 AM
iyamwutiam

Paint / Rear Spoiler and one more thing :)

First - how much is it to paint an SVX - to make it look "like new" in the tristate area - a ball park should do.
Second - Stacy Did you ever find that windshield?
Last-
How much milage can an SVX do before it disintegrates - 200k? 300k?
I notice a lot of the people don't put a lot of milage on the SVX - since few of them are really daily drivers - since I am (along with Stacy) actively pursuing SVXs) interested in knowing what would be a cut off - 150K?? 120k??
Is it worth paying the extra 2K or more for a low milage SVX if the car with high milage is adequately cared for ??
Let me know
Old 04-09-2003, 08:12 AM
StaceyVX

The windshield was for the claret SVX...The one I'm talking about here is a black one. I don't know how much a paint job is, but I just don't feel this car is worth it anymore...Oh, and someone told me if keep well, the engine should last up to 500K. That could be wrong...I don't know.