Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-06-2002, 05:24 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
backpressure

I think I've gone too low in backpressure with all my exhaust mods. Can anybody tell me how I can raise it a little bit temporarily to see if mileage/power seem to increase? I just want a temporary test solution...like sticking a potato in one tail pipe
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 11-07-2002, 03:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: backpressure

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
I think I've gone too low in backpressure with all my exhaust mods. Can anybody tell me how I can raise it a little bit temporarily to see if mileage/power seem to increase? I just want a temporary test solution...like sticking a potato in one tail pipe
What have you done to the exhaust and why do you think you have a problem.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:40 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
hmm backpressure.....dont you mean scavenging?
Old 11-07-2002, 04:07 PM
cjoffe

Some backpressure is actually necessary for low-end torque. Open exhausts make high-end HP at the expense of low-end torque. You either need a good compromise or a power valve, like some motorcycles.

CJ
Old 11-07-2002, 04:12 PM

Like a Vulture!

Yea I mean scavenging. It's related to backpressure and exhaust flow, so I just called it backpressure. Anyway, I have the 2.5" cat back pipes from the KC kit with 2 magnaflow mufflers. That alone should reduce backpressure. I also made the mistake of cutting out the first 2 cats and replacing with straight pipe. The guy at Midas told me one was cracked and falling apart, so I decided to just get rid of both before they damaged the third one. So, I think there may be a problem because I have a mad buzzing noise (probably a leak...I'll explore that when I have a chance to get the car up), but I also seem to have lost low end power. I have also dropped in gas mileage by 1-2MPG city and 5-6MPG highway. Finally, the check engine light comes on often. Usually it comes on after I've driven for a while and stop for just a few minutes (gas, grocery store), and restart. The light usually goes off, but sometimes it remains on. Also, probably unrelated to the exhaust, I have a problem with hesitation and stumbling when the car is cold. So, there's a whole lot of info to work with. Can you tell me what's wrong, Doc?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 11-07-2002, 04:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Like a Vulture!

Ask your ECU what's wrong.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:15 PM

ah dun did!

I axed the ECU what was wrong, and the ECU dun said Knock Sensor #?. The same Knock Sensor that has been replaced. So, I don' trust that thar ECU. I shuud, but I don' cuz I don' wanna re-replace mah Knock Sensor.

Old 11-08-2002, 07:23 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

hmmmm welll thatr mad buzzing sound is fro mreomving the cats/resinators....install a 14" straight through resinator before the mufflers..or two smaller ones where youtook out thecats.....this will get rid of your buzzing sound as long as tou dont have a bad gasket somehwere...
speaking from experience on this subject,
phil
Old 11-08-2002, 07:36 AM

interesting

Hmmm, sounds interesting. What kind of buzz was it. Mine is there only from about 2000-5000 rpm...was yours like that. I'd gladly put resonators where the cats were cut, but I wanna make sure its the same kind of buzz as you had. I'll also try the gasket thing firts too, cuz that costs alot less. Also, how do I pick a resonator...don't some make your exhaust sound like a$$? Do you know why this buzzing occurs when you don't have cats?

Old 11-08-2002, 10:51 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

buzzing occurs due to severe resonation, and the fact that without any sort of resontaors nothing is there to catch the the exhuast that" doubles back" in the piping......you need to get a STRAIGHT THROUGH resonator, not a glass pack., A straight through resonators has little pockets to catche the air from doubling back and keep if flowing correctly, which is is succeeded in the stock exhuast system by the beeds in the cat and the primary/sec muffler to an extent, maybe not directly speaking, will keep resination to a minimum. Ever here a honda "fart" thats becuase honda owners have no clue what they are doing and install a canister and remove the chambered resinator becuase they feel it is restrictive. They dont however know that a straight through resinator is not restrictive, especially on a NA car. You get it between certain RPM's becuase the wavelength is resinating at that range......ya physics!!....anyways im not completly accuareate on this....but as much as needed. IM me at BIGDHILLL if you want to talk about it further.... But i spent alot of trial and error getting the exhuast system on my last SVX to growl and not fart or blurb...ask svxboy about it....it was mean....

phil
Old 11-08-2002, 04:18 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Like a Vulture!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
Yea I mean scavenging. It's related to backpressure and exhaust flow, so I just called it backpressure. Anyway, I have the 2.5" cat back pipes from the KC kit with 2 magnaflow mufflers. That alone should reduce backpressure. I also made the mistake of cutting out the first 2 cats and replacing with straight pipe. The guy at Midas told me one was cracked and falling apart, so I decided to just get rid of both before they damaged the third one. So, I think there may be a problem because I have a mad buzzing noise (probably a leak...I'll explore that when I have a chance to get the car up), but I also seem to have lost low end power. I have also dropped in gas mileage by 1-2MPG city and 5-6MPG highway. Finally, the check engine light comes on often. Usually it comes on after I've driven for a while and stop for just a few minutes (gas, grocery store), and restart. The light usually goes off, but sometimes it remains on. Also, probably unrelated to the exhaust, I have a problem with hesitation and stumbling when the car is cold. So, there's a whole lot of info to work with. Can you tell me what's wrong, Doc?
I have open pipes from the manifolds then a y-pipe, then a single glasspack and open pipes back to a flowmaster 1 in 2-out muffler. I still get about the same exact gas mileage - 26 highway and around 19-21 city. No CE light yet. I feel that I have lost some low end torque measured on the butt-o-meter and the way my wife's svx jumps off the line a little quicker than mine but I catch back up and equal or pass her's in the top end. Her's is stock.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Re: Like a Vulture!

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby

measured on the butt-o-meter and the way my wife's svx jumps off the line a little quicker than mine. Her's is stock.
Hey Matt, when was the last time you had your butt calibrated?

Like my wifes car, Kim's car is faster than Matts!
Old 11-08-2002, 04:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I should have known you'd pounce on that one

Todd: 2
Matt: 1

I'll be watching...
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Game ON!

Bring it brother!

Todd (fat old non-threatening white guy trying to sound tuff)
Old 11-09-2002, 09:11 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Re: Like a Vulture!

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby

I have open pipes from the manifolds then a y-pipe, then a single glasspack and open pipes back to a flowmaster 1 in 2-out muffler. I still get about the same exact gas mileage - 26 highway and around 19-21 city. No CE light yet. I feel that I have lost some low end torque measured on the butt-o-meter and the way my wife's svx jumps off the line a little quicker than mine but I catch back up and equal or pass her's in the top end. Her's is stock.
Which model Flowmaster did you use? Did you dump all the Cats?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.