Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2002, 08:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
My tranny's 10 lives

I'm pretty sure it's on the 10th.

I'll briefly describe my symptoms again:

While accelerating, the transmission would either flare from 3-4 or it would skip 2. Really, it'd just slide for several seconds and settle on third.

These symptoms suggested that I needed to adjust the brake band, which I tackled yesterday.

Literally tackled, by the way. You have to lay on the engine to get to it. I also removed the intake tubing and zip-tied a heater hose out of the way, but I did not remove the starter as was suggested by another member.

I used a 12-point 17mm box wrench to loosen (then hold) the locknut (I don't recommend a 6-point wrench - you just can't turn the nut enough) and a 7mm open wrench to tweak the adjuster. The adjuster is square, so you can't use a box wrench. I tightened it 3/4 of a turn, then locked it down again. The adjuster, by the way, will more than likely turn with the locknut. So don't loosen the locknut too much or you'll end up removing the adjuster completely - and that'll necessitate a tranny rebuild just for that reason alone. Anyway, you don't have to account for the adjuster loosening when you crack the locknut, because it's going to be put back when you secure the locknut when you're all done.

The 3/4 turn adjustment helped a lot. My car found second gear for the first time in probably a month. Under light throttle, it shifts through all the gears with only a little slipping from 1-2. Under heavier throttle, it flares a little from 3-4. Before I drive it any more, I plan on turning the adjuster another 3/4 turn. I am greatly encouraged by the improvement the first adjustment made, so hopefully another crack at it will make the tranny operate normally until I replace it.

Hopefully it only takes one more adjustment - you work pretty much blindly and it's a very tight fit. Very annoying.

And, I swear that someday I'm going to perform as repair or adjustment on one of my cars and not need to buy any tools to finish the job. Someday. I swear. Because for both days in the garage, I had to make trips to Sears. For the Legacy, one of the caliper bracket bolts wouldn't budge. For the SVX, I didn't have any combo wrenches. This was the first job I really needed 'em for.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 10-28-2002 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:12 AM
Green1995SVX

Congrats, Nick! I'm very glad to hear it's working for you again.

Mike
Old 10-28-2002, 02:40 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hey Nick Way to go

I can't believe you did that without taking out the starter.

Where the heck did you find room to move the lock nut wrench 17mm
How long was that 7mm wrench? Heck I could not even get an open end on it.

Well I know two people that have done this now. You and me I did mine before it got real bad. Mine was just slipping under light throttle between shifts 2 to 3. It's stopped that now.

It is a real tight spot in there for sure. You know I was reading a write-up on (all-data?) to do this and it said, from the bottom with the exhaust out. I looked at that when I had my exhaust out. I could not even get a hand up on the side of the trans.

I was asking a trans shop if they wanted to give this a try. The guy says "Adjust the band? On most cars the band can't be adjusted? Are you sure you can do that?" I am glad it is there on the SVX.

We really have to thank Beav as he's the one that suggested this in the frist place.

So here I go spewing dispersions and doubt....... How many people have gotten there whole SVX trans rebuilt when it was only a band adjustment that was required? Who knows?
Old 10-28-2002, 02:50 PM

Registered SVX
The starter wasn't really in the way too much. I thought about taking it out, but also thought about removing the throttle body and engine wiring harness brackets.

The 17mm box wrench was definitely a tight fit. My 7mm wrench can't be more than like 4" long. We tried using an adjustable, but the problem is that it's adjustable. I'll put this in bold:

Do not use an adjustable wrench on the band adjuster screw!!!

Since you're working blind, it's really easy to accidentally adjust the wrench, and with such a small screw it's easy to round off the head.

I actually thought that you had to get to the adjuster from the bottom of the car. So I was about to jack the car up and my father-in-law says, 'you can't get to it with the car on the ground?'

Yeah, you can. And you should. I don't see why you'd do it any other way.

No disrespect to Beav, but the first time I read of this adjustment was back in Fall '99 in the original SVX FAQ. Kudos if he's been a proponent of this adjustment, because you're probably right - if the symptoms were treated correctly, we'd see fewer tranny replacements.

As a matter of fact, you could argue that, if it's adjustable, there's a reason for it. :P

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-28-2002, 03:05 PM
Hater

Re: My tranny's 10 lives

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Before I drive it any more, I plan on turning the adjuster another 3/4 turn. I am greatly encouraged by the improvement the first adjustment made, so hopefully another crack at it will make the tranny operate normally until I replace it.
i'm not sure you want to just "experiment" with this - here's the procedure from the Chilton's manual:

..tighten the adjusting screw to 18 ft-lbs (25 Nm), then turn it back exactly 3/4 turn.
this is the factory specified setting.
However, if any of the following conditions are detected, the adjusting screw can be moved 1/4 turn in either direction:

turn 1/4 clockwise if
-jolts when shifting from 1st to 2nd
-engine speed abruptly rises from 2nd to 3rd, or
-shift delays in kickdown from 3rd to 2nd

turn 1/4 counterclockwise if
-car slips from 1st to 2nd
-there is braking action at shift from 2nd to 3rd

hope that helps,

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-28-2002, 03:11 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: My tranny's 10 lives

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

i'm not sure you want to just "experiment" with this - here's the procedure from the Chilton's manual:

..tighten the adjusting screw to 18 ft-lbs (25 Nm), then turn it back exactly 3/4 turn.
this is the factory specified setting.
However, if any of the following conditions are detected, the adjusting screw can be moved 1/4 turn in either direction:

turn 1/4 clockwise if
-jolts when shifting from 1st to 2nd
-engine speed abruptly rises from 2nd to 3rd, or
-shift delays in kickdown from 3rd to 2nd

turn 1/4 counterclockwise if
-car slips from 1st to 2nd
-there is braking action at shift from 2nd to 3rd

hope that helps,
The Chilton's manual is similar to the page I have from the factory SVX manual, but not the same. The factory manual suggests adjusting the band screw by 3/4-turn increments. I'll take another look when I get home, but it seems to me that the tranny was slipping REALLY badly before I adjusted it. Now, after I adjusted it, it's only slipping a little. So I'll tighten it a little more. If that seems to cause other problems, I'll put it back. This is an annoying procedure, but obviously I want to do right by the car.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-28-2002, 03:39 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Sounds like what's really needed is an access hatch so you can get to it from inside the car.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 10-28-2002, 04:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Personally I'd go by the factory manual with the 3/4 turns, not by the Chilton.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:20 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young
Sounds like what's really needed is an access hatch so you can get to it from inside the car.
Wouldn't help much - the access hatch would be inside the cabin, behind the dash. :P

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-28-2002, 04:37 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Wouldn't help much - the access hatch would be inside the cabin, behind the dash. :P
Yeah - Mr. Fumblefingers here hit the submit button a little early. What I meant to add was "and then all you'd have to do is remove the dash and console. Why do car manufacturers make things so dang hard to work on? "

That's what I MEANT to say.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 10-28-2002, 07:35 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young

Yeah - Mr. Fumblefingers here hit the submit button a little early. What I meant to add was "and then all you'd have to do is remove the dash and console. Why do car manufacturers make things so dang hard to work on? "

That's what I MEANT to say.

We're on to something. Why can't there be another sliding switch ala "winter position" that's the band adjuster? Perhaps another "Press & turn" for oil plug removal. Now THAT'S innovation, I'd pay for in a new car. Oh..... Gotta replace trannies. Service department gotta stay busy.

Never mind - Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:07 PM
Hater

how about a ball-valve instead of an oil drain plug? had one on my old car, and made oil changes a little easier. i wish i could remember where i got it - wouldn't mind having one on the SVX if they made one that fit.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-28-2002, 11:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

We're on to something. Why can't there be another sliding switch ala "winter position" that's the band adjuster? Perhaps another "Press & turn" for oil plug removal. Now THAT'S innovation, I'd pay for in a new car. Oh..... Gotta replace trannies. Service department gotta stay busy.

Never mind - Ron.
Hey now, you're trying to cut into my paycheck! Why not a button for "remove stain from blue dress", "rebate for republicans only", "makes Carvel actually say what he thinks", etc.? You know, something that would actually benefit humanity...
Old 10-29-2002, 07:30 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I thought about getting one of those ball-valve oil plugs in the past until I heard horror stories of them accidentally getting hit and turned while driving. Nothing like having your oil vanish while driving down the highway Made me appreciate the old fashioned way a little more.

Now if they could make the band adjusters with a ratcheting dial like the shocks on my old motorcycle... Reach on in and give it a twist! That'd be sweet, but then again Mr Goodscrew, er I mean Mr Goodwrench, hasn't cornered the market on the job security of it's mechanics. If they made a car that would be simple to work on and made sense we wouldn't be able to afford to buy it after they compensated for all the service money they'd lose in the deal.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:06 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

If they made a car that would be simple to work on and made sense we wouldn't be able to afford to buy it after they compensated for all the service money they'd lose in the deal. [/B][/QUOTE]

Bingo, Johnny - American econonics 101.

I wonder what that Epson printer that was virtually given away would cost if the ink cartridges sold for the two bucks they're actually worth?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 10-29-2002 at 09:09 AM.