Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-18-2002, 05:32 PM
deligeds

Clunk/rattle in front suspension - driving me nuts!

I've searched for related posts and it sounds like other have experienced similar. In my case, I just installed new Koni struts and the K&B springs that Dayle imported. Handling is great, but ever since the install, I'm hearing a lot of front suspension noise, especially over small rigid bumps (e.g. gravel, washboard, seams, etc.). The noise could be described as somewhere between a clunk and a rattle . . . really more of a chattering sound. I also get some of this noise in the rear, but front seems to be the loudest.

At this point, I'm really frustrated with the issue. I've broken down, examined, retightened, stuck rubber in between, and reinstalled the struts and springs so many times that I could literally do it with my eyes closed. No, seriously. And yet she keeps right on chattering.

I'm guessing the next logical step is to replace all strut mounts (which I haven't tried yet). But I've looked at the mounts and I just can't see how they could be causing the noise. (Also, I don't want to shell out another $300 unless that's the consensus.)

So, other ideas? I've noticed that the front axles don't fit very tightly at the hub. Could this be it? Also, I noticed that someone else resolved a noise issue by tightening something on the tie rod or steering link (?). What about the stabilizer bar? I've checked all the bolts on the link and lever . . . anything else? I'm pretty sure the brake pads are fitting tightly.

I'm at wits end - any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Pearlywhites1992

clunking struts

Dorian, I too am at wits end about this!
I didn't acquire it until after I installed new struts. First I tried new strut mounts, that didn't work. Next, I will change the springs and everything else that isn't new, but reading your post I'm not so sure it will help. I seemed to have lost some "tightness" in the steering at the same time....just a coincidence? Any help would be appreciated!
Tim
Old 10-19-2002, 05:40 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
hmmm...I'm not too familiar with this issue but I was just wondering if a worn CV joint could cause this noise?

I'll be replacing a front axle in the spring because the CV joint is making noise during right hand turns. I'm also now noticing a suspension noise/rattle coming from the same side of the car.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Try lightly applying the brakes when going over the bumpy parts and see if the noise is still there.

Mine does this and it goes away with light braking. When I get around to redoing the pads I'll fix it. It is probably the caliper bushings rattling around.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 10-20-2002, 01:08 AM

Mine also does this. I think it is related to sloppy calipers or a out of adjustment steering rack.

Do you get any feedback into the steering wheel along with the rattle?

Mike

ps realize that eliminating the noise by depressing the brake pedal lightly could still point towards a worn rack.

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:54 AM
Pearlywhites1992

Try lightly applying the brakes when going over the bumpy parts and see if the noise

Trust me on this one guys, it's not the brakes I'm hearing,
and it didn't do it before the strut change.
Tim
Old 10-20-2002, 07:03 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Both of my SVXs have had the 'rattlies' when cold. The noise goes away once driven for a mile or so. I've always attributed it to the strut mounts (front and rear) being noisy when faced with a stiff strut. The cold oil in a strut will firm up the struts' action until it warms and thins. With regards to the Koni's, have you tried backing down on the firmness?
Old 10-20-2002, 04:27 PM
$VX

it could VERY possibly be the strut mounts. In my neon I blew my rear strut mounts, I'm not sure if they're similar to SVX strut mounts, but here's what happened. I kept getting this rattling noise louder and louder... well, turns out the high perf struts I put in (KYB GR2s) were a bit stiffer than stock (duh) and....well, the mounts are basically like a rubber circle with a little metal sleeve in the middle (the strut goes through the metal sleeve). What happened was that the metal sleeve had become loose from the rubber. Basically, it was moving, and it shouldn't be moving. The way to check this (pretty easy) is pop your hood and look at the top of the strut. Now push down on your bumper or something. If you see any freeplay BETWEEN the car and the top of the strut, your mounts are bad.

- Ca$h
Old 10-21-2002, 04:24 AM
Pearlywhites1992

it could VERY possibly be the strut mounts

his was the first thing I checked: I ordered a new pair of strut mounts, replaced them, and it didn't do a damn thing! My mechanic was surprised however at the amount of movement in both sets.....
Tim
Old 10-21-2002, 05:22 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have been chasing the "small bump noise" in my SVX for some time and I found the cause. It is the front sway bar in my car. I suggest you take the sway bar out, ruber bushings, clamps, and link ends, just for a test, and see if the noise goes away. If this is the problem in your car we can talk about how to make the noise go away.

I have decided to live with the noise as I know now that nothing is broken or malfunctioning.

Old 10-21-2002, 06:37 AM
Pearlywhites1992

It is the front sway bar in my car. I suggest you take the sway bar out, ruber bushin

It feels to me as if it may be just this, but how did it happen only after my strut change? Immediately too, not as a result. Maybe
improper jacking?
Tim
Old 10-21-2002, 10:16 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

If it is the front sway bar you will know for sure when you take it out and drive a round The bad news is that you may not be able to get rid of the noise It may just be the design of the suspension The rubber bushing that hold the the bar are also rubber clamps. There is a lot of friction between the rubber and the bar.

I have used lubricant, silicon and it lasted about a week. The silicon worked better on the rear bushings. IS your sway bar worn down to the metal? No more black epoxy paint or what ever it is? That's the way mine is now on the front and rear.

My bar also slides toward the driver side. I am thinking a bracket of some sort, coming off the bolts for the clamp to hold it in place. This also helps the noise.

The only way you will know for sure if it's the bar is take the bar out. I guess backing off on the clamp bolts may do the same thing also. So that the rubber hardly squeezes the bar. This would let you check out any problems from the stuts.

I have to come to believe the noise is part of the good handling
Old 10-21-2002, 04:32 PM
deligeds

Good to know that I'm not alone! I'm going to try removing the sway bar and see what happens. I don't think it's the calipers - braking doesn't seem to affect the noise. I'll let you know what happens. And thanks for the strut mount info, Tim. You must have been steaming when that didn't solve the problem!
Old 10-26-2002, 03:57 PM
deligeds

Back to the drawing board

Well, I removed the stabilizer links on both sides and the clunking is still there, so I guess it's not the sway bar. I also made sure that braking has no effect on the noise. (It doesn't.)

I don't know what to check for wear and tear on the steering rack. Steering feels fine, and it doesn't seem to make any noise when I jack her up and turn the front wheels by hand.

I'm still wondering about the ever-so-slight play that exists in my front axles. If I grab either axle and push/pull from side to side (i.e. between the tranny and the hub) there's a very small amount of play - 1 mm or less, but it could rattle. Is this play normal?

Then again, maybe the noise I'm hearing is just something inherent in a tighter SVX suspension. I'm 99% certain that there's nothing mechanically wrong or broken, and I have been known to obsess over barely noticable things. Maybe I'll just have to reluctantly live with this one.

Still open to other ideas.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:58 PM
I_Alcyone_I

why dnt you check the heatshielding on the exhaust, go underneath and tap at the heat shielding, I removed mine and to get it off I had to tear at it pretty badly, making it un-useable. Unfortunatly I did this before I read about the rattling with the brake shims and bushing, which is my actualy problem.