How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 AM

Decisions, decisions

OK, could spend $400 on a used engine, add a timing belt, waterpump, valve cover gaskets (boy those are pricey) and swap out the one that is in the car then at a later date rebuild it. OR I can pull what is in there, find problem (I'm hoping head gasket as there is coolant smell at the tail pipe) Disassemble, new bearings, rings, gaskets, water pump, timing belt and reinstall. In the long run option two seems best. Now looking for suggestions on where to buy the parts, or what parts brands work best. Especially the head gaskets. I can order a gasket set from Rock Auto for $250 complete. should I use those head gaskets or get different ones? Where to get the head bolts, rings, and bearings and water pump? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:51 AM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX
Re: Decisions, decisions

Obviously the decision is going to come down to how long you can go with the car being undriveable.

The first option would be the most efficient and much cheaper too, well as long as the used engine is in decent condition. Timing belt kit can be found on Ebay (This is what I have and have been running it for 6+ years and no isssues) SVX Timing belt kit Mizumo Auto, as to the water pump, water pump gasket and valve cover gaskets I would recommend going with OEM products.

Like you said option two would be the best in the long run, but the car would be off duty for quite a few months. The hold up would be the head bolts as they can no longer be had through SUBARU. The current group buy for ARP head bolts is through Flat Irons Tuning out of Boulder, CO and a set of those is around $280 + tax. I would recommend Cometic headgaskets as they are MLS (Multiple layer of steel) which makes them more durable than the OEM ones. If you shop around you can get a better deal than the ones I linked. All other engine components I would go with OEM as I'm afraid there is no aftermarket support.
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker
Old 08-03-2015, 03:58 PM

Thanks SVX95. I seem to remember you telling about the head gaskets in a previous post. So you're saying to not use a complete gasket set from Rock Auto? I thought I'd use it but with the different head gaskets. I'd love to be driving the car today but if it'll take a while that is not "real" problem except I'll miss it. And if I read your message correctly, you're saying to not use bearings and rings that are aftermarket either? There are some good brand name options available it seems. I've not priced OEM but generally feel OEM anything is too expensive when something else will work just as well.

Don
Old 08-03-2015, 11:27 PM

Registered SVX

At 150kmiles my rings and main bearings were still within new engine specs. The engine has been turbo charged for over 100kmiles of its life. Valve guides, stems and seat surfaces as well as the oil pump were all within wear tolerances.

I only replaced the big ends, which I mixed and matched from two sets to be on the high side of clearance tolerance.

I used OEM gasket set, Cometic gaskets and ARP studs. PCV-valve, belts, pulleys and water pump all OEM. I replaced all hoses - water and vacuum - with OEM parts. Even the clips are still available for small change. For the factory look :-)

And while the engine was out I replaced the flex plate to the thick one.

Good luck,

Tapani
Old 08-04-2015, 05:01 PM

I truly appreciate the advice. I've used Rock Auto, and they have head bolts for less than $100 available, a complete gasket set for $250, a Gates waterpump for $50, timing belt kit (no tensioner) for $130, and a tensioner for from Aisin for $70. rod bearings for less than $40 for two sets for a 2.2 Legacy. I didn't find Main bearings yet. Just how inferior are these parts? My engine has 127k on it and failed. I've always had good luck with aftermarket parts in the past with all types of vehicles. Have people used these parts and had failures? I admit I've not priced OEM, and I know that there is a dealer listed on the boards that will give a good price. I'll have to check them out.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by solodon View Post
I truly appreciate the advice. I've used Rock Auto, and they have head bolts for less than $100 available, a complete gasket set for $250, a Gates waterpump for $50, timing belt kit (no tensioner) for $130, and a tensioner for from Aisin for $70. rod bearings for less than $40 for two sets for a 2.2 Legacy. I didn't find Main bearings yet. Just how inferior are these parts? My engine has 127k on it and failed. I've always had good luck with aftermarket parts in the past with all types of vehicles. Have people used these parts and had failures? I admit I've not priced OEM, and I know that there is a dealer listed on the boards that will give a good price. I'll have to check them out.
The water pump design on most aftermarket will not move enough water, especially on the svx which has a bad problem with the pump not moving enough water over 5krpm's as it is.
The timing belt kit on ebay I think is cheaper, and contains everything as to head bolts didn't think any were available period right now. The other parts you found should be fine. I have dealt with rock auto many times they seem good.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the information about the water pump. That's not something one would find out except for a group like this. Granted I'm not above 5K often but don't need the flow be be less..