Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Re: SVX just not impressing people anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
I'm 67, a 65 year old lady I know thinks my SVX is awesome. Don't want to cause any nightmares here.
Gene
"I'm a Betty White fan.
Kept me laughing in public for a few minutes, Gene.

I know a thing or two about women and at least one thing about cars:

Women in general like passion and confidence. To the extent that they care about your car at all, as it is now they will sense your lack of confidence in your car (since you are doubting).

If you intend on using your car as an instrument in your skirt chasing, you must develope either confidence in or passion for your car, preferably both. If you know this car is solid, fast, safe, stylish and fairly unique and special, you can remain confident in it. It will then cease to be a point of anxiety on your dates. Being a bit on guard due to doubts about anything (in this case your car) can ruin any date.

Passion is something different altogether but, to the extent that you have or can develope passion for your car, women will be attracted to it. Women are easily dazzled by passion. They figure, if you can have such emotion for a car (or music, or art, or mountaineering or surfing or starving children or whatever), you are capable of harbouring such emotion for them. A lot of girls are sucked to this like instects to light. I suspect men are not very different but we have to allow for some cultural conventions here where men mostly fear passionate women (because they take initiative thereby robbing the man of his typical role). In the end, we are all very prone to "reward" and while smooth skind and some strategically emitted moisture is a great reward for a lot of blokes, winning over a man's (or a woman's) passion is equally rewarding for a woman

You can have every silly car you like, impressive or the oppostite, with a woman acutely aware or totally oblivious of it; as long as it is an object of your passion, she is more likely to get drawn to you than not. Keep in mind that passion is one mentality, nerdiness another (although a person who is already "open" to you will not differentiate much if the chemistry is ok to start with).

There is of course the type of girl that will boost her chest, develope eating disorders, make up too much and generally try to climb any ladder in sight. Unless you are quite rich or quite bad (many of these women have awful self esteem and hunt guys who are both mean and sometimes kind to them in order to fall in line with their self perception) you will probably not score them and quite frankly, I don't recommend you to.

At the end of the day, your sub $100k car is not going to stimulate any hormone or neurotransmitter release in a woman that's required to set about the necessary processes to get to bed and beyond. Meeting, mating, hooking up etc is much more a chemical game than you imagine and again, if you are stressed out or uncertain about the conditions of the situation (your car in this case), you will send a lot of tiny visual and pheromonal signals that you are not comfortable. The effect on her system will be inhibition of dopamine and oxytocin so you can wave any hayhopping good bye and probably not even get a second date.

If you just want a quick **** and don't feel confident in your car, just ask her out for dinner and dancing with a lot of alcohol included.
I'm ready to f...

Last edited by jetboy; 02-04-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 AM

Mine aren't pretty. They look their age. Still, I observed some kid in his early teens actually pressing his nose to the driver's side window in a parking lot the other day, then gesturing for his dad to come over and have a look.

One of my grandson's friends (another early teen) recently, from the vantage point of the back seat (and after the obligatory questions about the windows): "Ever had it over a hundred?"

Overheard a forty-something guy speaking to an acquaintance a few weeks ago: "What it that? That's all-wheel drive? For real? That's a good lookin' car."

Another of my grandson's friends: "I'll bet this thing attracts girls."

Well, sorry to say, not that I've noticed.

dcb
Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Here's a thought: If a date ever says to you, "Hey! Nice SVX!" Then you KNOW she is a keeper.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
Here's a thought: If a date ever says to you, "Hey! Nice SVX!" Then you KNOW she is a keeper.
+ 1
Currently pursuing a girl I know because she recognized and likes my SVX (as well as other reasons ).
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: SVX just not impressing people anymore?

I also notice that the SVX doesn't get looks like it used to.

It just doesn't seem to be anymore and I can't figure out why because the look is much more odd than most anything out there.

Well, Matt, since we all agree that the SVX was years (maybe decades) ahead of everything else on wheels, maybe it finally looks a bit like every other Hyundai/Benz/Nissan sittin' on the dealer's lot; & nobody notices funny windows whilst pokin' at an iPad. In 5 years yer' BRZ won't get noticed among all the Tata look-a-likes.

Ron (4 years ago, my lady said "That's the best lookin' car on the parking lot" ....kept her...& the car).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 02-04-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

Theres quite a few rubber neckers in Western Washington. I'm always getting looks and comments, a lot of them from girls at the espresso stands. Thats usually "What kind of car is that?"
Now, if I drive my Brat I get all kinds of people talking to me
My SVX is a car for me to enjoy, not to impress others. I have other cars for that
I've seriously been thinking of getting me something thats a major name brand with stigma attached. I like the car because its definitely sporty, has looks and luxury too.
BMW 840ci, 4.4L V8

Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

I have some lust for that car (850 CSi) but it's probably extremely costy to run due to the exotic components used. However, it's useless up here as it has no AWD. The purchasing cost is also outrageous.
I'm ready to f...
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I've loved those since day one. Buy in is affordable, but it's a time bomb! Much like the svx. First time I saw one the owner drove it on a flat for about 5 miles 2nd encounter http://higherearning.files.wordpress...ixt1qzbwkj.jpg

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I always wished the svx had pop-up headlights ala probe, supra, above BMW.
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/vehicle...990814-480.jpg
I think the svx eeked in during the death of the pop-up.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbone View Post
I've seriously been thinking of getting me something thats a major name brand with stigma attached. I like the car because its definitely sporty, has looks and luxury too.
BMW 840ci, 4.4L V8
if you like vanishing-Nikasil cylinder walls, go ahead. otherwise, stay FAR away.

the V12 on the other hand, doesn't have that problem. i would do some serious research on either one. they will make an SVX look like a Honda lawnmower as far as maintenance and repairs go.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Registered SVX

If you have CASH, this is the one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-...item1e76c32340
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
I always wished the svx had pop-up headlights ala probe, supra, above BMW.
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/vehicle...990814-480.jpg
I think the svx eeked in during the death of the pop-up.
Thank god it did... even Ferrari were ashamed to have done that to their cars during the 70's and 80's.

The SVX design works so well because the front and back lighting clusters are very similar and integrated nicely into the overall design. They have the same trait as a "bar" horizontally integrated across the front and back.

I took my car to Cars and Coffee in Irvine not too long ago. Everyone loved it. Lots of people looked through the widows and lots of smiles on faces when they realize that they hadn't seen one in a decade.

It was among some pretty heavy duty cars. Here is a shot in the restaurant parking lot after a few of us left the gathering and had breakfast.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc_irvine.jpg (432.6 KB, 457 views)

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 02-06-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
I have some lust for that car (850 CSi) but it's probably extremely costy to run due to the exotic components used. However, it's useless up here as it has no AWD. The purchasing cost is also outrageous.
Mechanically, it's the same as a 740/750 FYI with a few tweaks to the engine to eek out a bit more power.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/obj...nkode=35459388
I'm ready to f...
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
It costs 5 times a top trim SVX with same mileage.
I'm ready to f...