SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2002, 10:49 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Seriously, with a PC you need a program to import dv, a program to edit it, a program to export it, and if you wanted to compress it you also need another program.

With macs...pffft.. . I just started using iMovie2. It's limited yeah, but I figure once I dominate it I'll just use Final Cut. DV rules.

- Ca$h

there's the problem - ITS LIMITED. i can do all of the above with Sony's DVGate that came installed on my computer. my computer isn't cute like a Mac, but it doesn't look too bad.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by sith
Actually, I was in best buy last night, overheard an employee joking mocking a girl for asking if they had apple gear. I stepped in with "Do the mac owners need to represent?!" and got to talking to the girl. So, macs do get girls. Sort of. Except I'll never see her again. Cry.
I feel the need to add to this. I was in physics class the other day and made comment about mapping a network drive to my mac, and the girl in front of me turned around and went "ohhh. you have a mac?!" to which I responded "Yes " and she said "Wow I love macs. My roomate has one." If I liked her I would have said. "Would you like to come over and pull down my apple menu?"

Macs Rule.

Mike.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:05 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

there's the problem - ITS LIMITED. i can do all of the above with Sony's DVGate that came installed on my computer. my computer isn't cute like a Mac, but it doesn't look too bad.
I also have a viao. 700mhz. It came with DV gate, and man is that confusing and horrible to use.

My 600mhz iMac with iMovie2 is MUUUUCCCHHH easier to use.

Think about it:

PCs: Cheap, everywhere, crappy, but fast. Sucks at DV, sucks at audio creation (exception ACID Pro)

Macs: More expensive, fewer around, high quality, fast, AWESOME at DV, great at audio creation. They ALSO do the 'day to day' email/web/word processing thing just as well as a PC.

- Ca$h
Old 09-18-2002, 01:35 PM
Hater

the problem is more expensive, and not too many around. not much software around, either. i have an EE degree, so i don't mind technical programs. i prefer them, actually, because you usually have more options than the "easy, 1-click" programs. more "friendly" graphical user interfaces = more memory used/processor wasted. if you're not real technical, then Macs are probably a good thing. i just don't like being limited.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-18-2002, 10:35 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
At circuit city, that was always our Mac sales pitch "is this your first computer?" if yes, then a Mac was a possibility, if no, then we didn't waste our time cause we knew they would never be happy with one.

I guess it is true that a PC is more for the technical minded. Im an Electrical engineer major myself, and i am a PC user. All the computers at the school of engineering are PCs, and the graphics labs all switched to SGI workstations last year.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:04 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
At circuit city, that was always our Mac sales pitch "is this your first computer?" if yes, then a Mac was a possibility, if no, then we didn't waste our time cause we knew they would never be happy with one.

I was a PC user till about a year ago when I bought my TiBook. I'll never go back. Quite honestly, I bought the mac cause it was visually attractive, and it was the hottest notebook at the time, but now I love its ease of use and stability. oh, and did I mention it has one of the brighest, best looking LCD's ive EVER seen! This screen is amazing!

Mike
Old 09-19-2002, 08:59 AM
$VX

Disagree. Who do you think is more intelligent, the averagePC user or the average Mac user? Duh. Easy answer. Also, since when is 'being among the few' and 'software harder to find' a bad thing?! LOOK AT WHAT CAR YOU DRIVE!!!!!! :P I have photoshop, ms office, and everything I need just like you. I have more programs than I know what to do with. As for PCs being more technical, NO WAY. The average windoze user is some dumbass 40 yr old who can't install a new HD. Head over to Macnn.com to see what I'm talking about.

- Ca$h
Old 09-19-2002, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Arrow Like the magpie

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I bought the mac cause it was visually attractive
Mike
The Studenticus Pennsylvanius Modicus is attracted to bright shiney things. He can be entertained by a sheet of tinfoil for hours!
Old 09-19-2002, 09:29 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Disagree. Who do you think is more intelligent, the averagePC user or the average Mac user?
Considering the Apple was developed so children could use a computer . . . .

Sheesh! Find something else to argue about -- on second thought -- no, first thought -- stop arguing altogether. Gee whiz!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-19-2002, 09:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
The average windoze user is some dumbass 40 yr old who can't install a new HD.
- Ca$h
Buddy, you just can't leave anyone alone, can you? Lemme see.

Neons are better, if you drive anything else, you're white trash.
Macs are better, if you don't use one you're a retard.

Methinks you have an "I" problem. A retinal rectumologist could take care of that for you.

Okay, let's just all admit that everything you have is better than anything anybody else has . . . that you are, by far, the superior intellect and the rest of the world is lowly maggot feces, unworthy of your presence and that we should just all, feel so honored that you would take so much of your valuable time to teach us ignorant plebes the finer points of all things. Now that THAT has been settled, could we just freakin' move on.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 09-19-2002 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:26 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Oi, I just can't resist throwing in my 1.3 cents.

WinXP comes with Windows Movie Maker, a program to import sequence DV's, and the ability to output as well. It's just as "limited" I think as iMovie2.

Most of the DV cards (even the el cheapo $30 jobs) will come with some sort of editing software anyways, such as U-Lead VideoStudio.

PC's will crash, yes. Mac's will crash, yes. But from my clients' experiences, they all crash just the same. The difference, in my opinion, is support.

One of my clients, a print shop, had MacOS 9.1 and 9.2 back in October, and couldn't figure out why it was always disconnecting to the Win2K server. For 3 weeks, we couldn't find the problem, kept checking the Mac settings, and the W2k server settings. It wasn't until the 4th week that Apple released 9.2.1 which fixes the built-in network card driver that would cause disconnects in large bandwidth environments. So for all those Mac fans, Mac's aren't "perfect". But neither are PC's.

From a support perspective, when I run into a problem with a PC or WinOS environment, chances are someone's already come across it, and it's a relatively easy task (for me) to find a fix. For Macs, unfortunately, I can't say the same.

It's the same story that I tell my clients when it comes to any hardware and their choice of manufacturers. Crap happens regardless of what you use, it's how they respond to it that matters. In this regard, IMHO Microsoft has one of the best websites for support and troubleshooting for their products.

VK
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Seriously, with a PC you need a program to import dv, a program to edit it, a program to export it, and if you wanted to compress it you also need another program.

With macs...pffft.. . I just started using iMovie2. It's limited yeah, but I figure once I dominate it I'll just use Final Cut. DV rules.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Oi, I just can't resist throwing in my 1.3 cents.
LMAO

Nice exchange rate funny!

Todd
Old 09-19-2002, 11:32 AM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Neons are better, if you drive anything else, you're white trash.
Macs are better, if you don't use one you're a retard.
If you're after performance in an econobox, yes, neons are better. And I never said if you use a PC you're a retard, I said that the MAJORITY of PC users are like the MAJORITY of americans: Dumb. I think most of you are somewhat intelligent, I never called any of you 'stupid' (except one person). But if 90% of the computer marketshare is dominated by beige PCs, and they're CHEAP, you get dumber people. People with more money buy more expensive things, and on the average, are more intelligent. Thats why you see more STUPID low income people driving around in crusty 80s buicks and more intelligent people driving around in 90s BMWs. Dig?

- Ca$h
Old 09-19-2002, 11:36 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

If you're after performance in an econobox, yes, neons are better. And I never said if you use a PC you're a retard, I said that the MAJORITY of PC users are like the MAJORITY of americans: Dumb. I think most of you are somewhat intelligent, I never called any of you 'stupid' (except one person). But if 90% of the computer marketshare is dominated by beige PCs, and they're CHEAP, you get dumber people. People with more money buy more expensive things, and on the average, are more intelligent. Thats why you see more STUPID low income people driving around in crusty 80s buicks and more intelligent people driving around in 90s BMWs. Dig?

- Ca$h
I've had 200.00 per ounce caviar and I've had 500.00 per bottle wine. They both tasted like absolute crap. If buying expensive things is what it takes to show your intellengience, somebody give me a lobotomy . . . . . . PLEASE!!!!!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-19-2002, 11:43 AM
$VX

hehe. I know what you mean... but I mean in GENERAL, the guy with the new car is going to be smarter than the guy driving the beat up 1984 cavalier.

- Ca$h