Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2002, 02:43 PM
clarkerussell

New Tire Time

OK, I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I need some advice on tires. My car has mismatched, wrong sized tires and I need to replace them ASAP. I've read that the Yokohama AVS dB tires are a good choice, as are the Pirelli P7000's. Since this is my commuting car, I need my tires to last a while (20-25K miles would be nice), they should be quiet, and they should handle fairly well. What are the recommendations of the members here? Thanks in advance.

Clarke
Old 09-11-2002, 02:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: New Tire Time

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkerussell
OK, I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I need some advice on tires. My car has mismatched, wrong sized tires and I need to replace them ASAP. I've read that the Yokohama AVS dB tires are a good choice, as are the Pirelli P7000's. Since this is my commuting car, I need my tires to last a while (20-25K miles would be nice), they should be quiet, and they should handle fairly well. What are the recommendations of the members here? Thanks in advance.

Clarke
I have been nothing but happy with Dunlop D60-A2 JLB tires. No, they're not autocrossing tires, but they handle anything the road will throw at you with grace and confidence. And they last.

I've literally had mine in snow that was deeper than the car had ground clearance.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-11-2002, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
clarke i have always liked perrili i have 18s on the car and get a little over 10,000 miles out of them,, my prefrences is perili just might be a little on the costly side
Old 09-11-2002, 03:05 PM
clarkerussell

How about the Yoko's

I guess I should let everyone know that I'm in South Carolina. We get at MOST 4" of snow a year, and it usually lasts about a day. I'm not concerned with snow, just rain. Anyway:

Tire rack is blowing out the Yokohama AVS Intermediates for $60 each. That's VERY tempting. My other two choices were the AVS dB for $100 and the P7000 for $107. Comments?
Old 09-11-2002, 03:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: How about the Yoko's

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkerussell
I guess I should let everyone know that I'm in South Carolina. We get at MOST 4" of snow a year, and it usually lasts about a day. I'm not concerned with snow, just rain.
The D60s do an amazing job in rain, too.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-11-2002, 03:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
D60 A2s were great on my XT6 for all-weathers. Unfortunately they are discontinued.

If you are going all-seasons go for Dunlop SP5000s. Best all-weather tire out there.

I just bought the AVS Intermediates for $60 I had them on my XT6 and they are great spring->fall tires. No snow traction but you shouldn't need it.

-mike
Old 09-11-2002, 04:55 PM

I've got the AVS dBs on my SVX, and they've been a great handling tire in the rain, and pretty decent in snow too. When new they were much quieter than the old tires, but now that I've put 20,000 miles on them, they seem to be getting quite a bit noisier. Still plenty of tread left though.

I also have the AVS Intermediates on my 89 Honda CRX, which I use for autocrossing. They're great tires for the price, and they're standing up well to the abuse I give them. As for their handling in the rain, I haven't had any problems with them, and I've driven it in some pretty heavy rain.

Another good tire for the rain, and great for high performance, is the Bridgestone Potenza RE730. I had a set of these on my 96 Nissan 300Z, and with them it changed from a nightmare to drive in the rain to an absolute dream. I'm considering getting some for my SVX when the AVS dBs wear out.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:06 PM
Green1995SVX

I've got dunlop SP Sport A2's on my 'winter, stock wheels' I love them. Very quiet, very good ride, and excellent in the snow. They have JLB construction and are H speed rated. I will replace this set with another set of the A2's when they wear out.

Mike
Old 09-11-2002, 05:06 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I had the db's when I was running stock rims and they are great tires and are well suited to the climate in SC. My wife has yoko avid V4's - they are pretty good but not as grippy as the db's. I have yoko avs sports on mine now in 17" and they are super sticky in dry but lose compared to the db's in the rain.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:38 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Cooper Cobra XST are H rated so should last. Compare the tread to the AVON's used on Aston Martin's. Cooper (a US manufacturer) came out with the XST the year after they bought AVON.

Pictures in my locker.

I also like Nokian NRV which is V rated.

Both do great in the rain. Neither of these is an all season, so no compromise on the intended use, Dry & Wet roads that are not frozen.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:52 PM
CGLathrop

Quote:
Originally posted by Paisan
D60 .

If you are going all-seasons go for Dunlop SP5000s. Best all-weather tire out there.

-mike
I bought these for my SVX and they have 30K on them. Living in ND I wanted a tire that I thought would be good on snow or dry pavement. They have been good all around, though one of my tires (front left) developed a little bit of a cuping. I think it is from the 50MPH cross winds I have to drive through sometimes. but other then that.. still has a lot of good tread left.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:48 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

I've been running the Yoko AVS dbs for the last 6K. Bought'em for the Indy meet. Drove through some hellish rains on the trip, with no spin-outs. It hasn't rained since, & they do very well in drought conditions as well. I don't thrash the car at all, except at meets, where it's expected to show off. I just wondered who out there has gotten the most miles out of their dbs, or other tires? I don't mean that the steel belts have to show either; just down to the point of making you nervous.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:06 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Tire choice

I have stuck with Yoko a540s however, they were discontinued last year. With less than spirited driving they're good for 35+K if you keep 'em rotated evenly. They also have a Z speed rating I think or whatever is around 160mph. Handle acceptable in light snow or ice and are great in the rain. They do have a little road noise but it doesn't really come into the cabin w/ the windows up.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:37 PM
clarkerussell

Another choice.

Has anyone used the Yokohama AVS ES100's? They look great, have good reviews, and they are only $79 each.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:12 PM
deadeye95

I run the Dunlop D60-A2 tires also - and am sorry to see that they have been discontinued. They have 25K miles on them and expect 20K more. Keep it under 130 as they are not "VR" speed rated.

Had a set of Pirelli 7000's. Lasted 24K miles. Flats all the time. Even got a flat from a bolt (as in nut and bolt). Cost twice as much as the Dunlops.

Got 44K on the original Bridgestones.