Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 06-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: First autoX for me since 2008

Honestly, the SVX can be locally comp. in some regions in the GS class, once you get out of that you're gonna see the car loose time against the competition in an autox, simple reason. Nationally, you need to have the car of the month set up the same way as the big boys). There is no quality aftermarket support for the car that is fully tested and developed. It did fairly well locally in E Prepared but that is an expensive proposition. It'll be sad to see ya sell but I completely understand. I think you'd have trouble getting into a TVR (well more likely out) and reality is it won't be the most comp. car either as you're going against the big boys in AS. I'm hoping to go down to one of Harry's Mercedes autox this summer. Still not sure which car to take as the TVR is pretty well suited but undergeared and 80s brakes, the XJR still scares me at full throttle and no traction control.

Is there a future for you standing by the side of the road cursing yourself for buying a Mini?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Thanks Ben. I agree with your comments. Unfortunately, many classes up here have top notch drivers with nicely developed cars. I forget the progression based on mods; GS, STX, SM...after those I'm lost. Obviously, EP from your message but what about Street Prepared? Is it ESP? If so, I'll get spanked by the local Mustang guys up here. There are a bunch of them locally. If its FSP, I'll get spanked by Neon, Rabbit and Civic drivers. Again, Detroit-go figure!

Yeah, I've been scratching my head thinking about options but a MINI won't be one of them

Todd
Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
Thanks Ben. I agree with your comments. Unfortunately, many classes up here have top notch drivers with nicely developed cars. I forget the progression based on mods; GS, STX, SM...after those I'm lost. Obviously, EP from your message but what about Street Prepared? Is it ESP? If so, I'll get spanked by the local Mustang guys up here. There are a bunch of them locally. If its FSP, I'll get spanked by Neon, Rabbit and Civic drivers. Again, Detroit-go figure!

Yeah, I've been scratching my head thinking about options but a MINI won't be one of them

Todd
EP and FP are the real prepared classes that have been around since the dawn of solo. They're for full race cars with very little in the way of streetability or those pesky ricer type mods. Its what we ran the racer in. All that you can do is keep your engine as it was delivered but cams, pistons, compression and that kind of stuff is all open etc. Body can be pretty much gutted to the point it is as stock as a "stock" car.

Don't scratch your head too much (you still have so hair at your age right) as there just isn't anything out there today that screams to me I gotta have. Thenew Morgan Trike looks promising, until you see the price for a Harley engined vehicle. If you were just looking for a toy car not a autox/trackable ride I'd suggest the last of the 4 cylinder Esprits as they are dirt cheap at the moment. Will start climbing in the next couple of years like the S1s have but a solid condition good driver can be had for around 10 grand. Not bad at all for the fastest car in the US in 0-60 times from 1987-90. I'll just stick with the stupid fast TVR (once lots of those Rustang 3.7 duratec find trees and ditches). 300hp, 2050lbs, a 51/49 weight dist., 6 speeds, true go kart handling/road feedback and 80s brakes, what isn't to love.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Sorry Ben, but the thought of an old British car regardless of how cool the Esprit may be, has little appeal to me.

Close your eyes, but I'm actually thinking of returning to my Ford roots and getting a Mustang. Good power from the factory, lots of mod potential, cheap (used-not new), and reliable ('05 and up). This will be a toy car and occasional driver so I can leave the autoX suspension and tires on her all the time. It's the best candidate for me right now.

Todd
Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
Sorry Ben, but the thought of an old British car regardless of how cool the Esprit may be, has little appeal to me.

Close your eyes, but I'm actually thinking of returning to my Ford roots and getting a Mustang. Good power from the factory, lots of mod potential, cheap (used-not new), and reliable ('05 and up). This will be a toy car and occasional driver so I can leave the autoX suspension and tires on her all the time. It's the best candidate for me right now.

Todd
Ah, they're plenty reliable, just so long as you keep a couple around. Actually, aside from a broken belt on the TVR and of course the sorting period involved in getting anything that sat for 10 years running right, I've had less issues with the Brits than I had with any Subaru I owned except my first Impreza. You just gotta keep feeding 'em gas faster than your Ram.

You'll need to leave that autox suspension on it. My summer pool kid has an 11 GT and I think my XJR would outhandle it. Nice engine, definately a little on the heavy side and a made to sell a bunch cheap rear suspension and seats. It does okay on decent roads but we don't have many of those here. You remember Potholevania right?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: