Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-05-2010, 07:25 PM

2WD Sucks in Snow

When I bought my '94 FWD Pearlie last summer I figured I'd willingly sacrifice AWD for easier maintenance and lower costs (less to go wrong!) Well, it's been a snowy couple of weeks in Utah and I've found my SVX to be worse in snow than other FWD cars I've had. Anyone else had that experience? I've already been stuck once (requiring a push from my AWD Subaru wagon!) and slipped around way more than I expected. Anyone else had that same experience? I'm running Goodyear TripleTred all seasons in the front which supposedly are great in snow, but I'm not seeing it. I'm seriously considering transferring over the AWD from my parts car!

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 12-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff
Registered SVX
Re: 2WD Sucks in Snow

Might be cheaper to pick up a good set of snows on someone's leftover factory wheels.

2WD /w good snow tires > AWD with good all seasons.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

TripleTreads are meh at best in snow, especially compared to real snow tires. They have heavy tread blocks and minimal siping. Goodyear says they're good in snow, but what else would they say?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Agreed, all-seasons and snow tires are two different animals. Passenger tires fall into two categories... ones that dont wear out fast, and ones that bite into snow. Its either or. Id try some good snow tires with lots of siping, im sure you will see a world of difference.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Not only are the TripleTreds 'meh' in snow, they're annoyingly noisy! If I was the original purchaser (they came on my parts car) I'd take them back and demand a refund.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 12-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Dedicated snow tires will cure your problem. I drove my Mercedes SL500 (rwd) all winter last year and didnt get stuck once. All it takes is a decent set of snows.
2001 Audi S8
Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I get to deal with that all the time. The shop I work for during the summer months sells a lot of Goodyear stuff, but we discourage people from buying the TripleTreds as much as possible. Despite being Goodyear's "premium" tire we have a constant flow of return customers saying they're noisy, they shake, the ride comfort isn't very good... And we've never once seen them hit the wear targets Goodyear advertises. They look great and have excellent wet traction (from a touring tire perspective), but that's about it.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-06-2010, 01:41 AM
more windows then a minivan..

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
2WD /w good snow tires > AWD with good all seasons.
LOL not even close.....

.....But I had the same problem with my 94 fwd so I bought another one. Only this time I bought an AWD one and it cured the problem lol and they look pretty cool sitting in the driveway together!

Can you get studded snow tires? My buddy has them on his new corolla and that thing gets crazy traction.
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings
Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 AM

Registered SVX

I tried my SVX out yesterday for the first time on the road ( I have been fixing everything since i bought it). I have 4 almost bald all season tires and it still went up my hill wich was really slick. We have about 6 inches of snow.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
When I bought my '94 FWD Pearlie last summer I figured I'd willingly sacrifice AWD for easier maintenance and lower costs (less to go wrong!) Well, it's been a snowy couple of weeks in Utah and I've found my SVX to be worse in snow than other FWD cars I've had. Anyone else had that experience? I've already been stuck once (requiring a push from my AWD Subaru wagon!) and slipped around way more than I expected. Anyone else had that same experience? I'm running Goodyear TripleTred all seasons in the front which supposedly are great in snow, but I'm not seeing it. I'm seriously considering transferring over the AWD from my parts car!
I agree a good set of snow tires will help. But the real problem is the car has 230 hp stock and only 2 tires, well one really as its an open diff. Then your have to realize the car is big, and heavy which will hurt everything from starting to stopping. Many good fwd cars are lighter, have a limited slip type diff and of course less power trying to spin that tire.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff
Registered SVX

LOL, yes even close.

AWD /w Dedicated Snows > AWD /w All Seasons >/= 2WD with Dedicated Snows > 2WD with All Seasons.

AWD with crappy tires is going to be better than 2WD with crappy tires, but the proper solution is to put good snows on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxAL View Post
LOL not even close.....

.....But I had the same problem with my 94 fwd so I bought another one. Only this time I bought an AWD one and it cured the problem lol and they look pretty cool sitting in the driveway together!

Can you get studded snow tires? My buddy has them on his new corolla and that thing gets crazy traction.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Blizzaks my man...the best way to fly. Whatever you do, don't just put them on the front because you have FWD. I did that once and had massive oversteer on packed snow and ice.

You can get good deals on ebay and sometimes even on craigslist.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 12-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
LOL, yes even close.

AWD /w Dedicated Snows > AWD /w All Seasons >/= 2WD with Dedicated Snows > 2WD with All Seasons.

AWD with crappy tires is going to be better than 2WD with crappy tires, but the proper solution is to put good snows on both.
I pretty much agree with this.... would like to add though that ANY car, AWD or not, will stop and steer far better with snow tires. AWD is awesome for propulsion, but thats about it.... stopping and steering in the snow is almost completely dependent on your tires. I would feel far safer in winter driving in any given car with snow tires over one with AWD and all-seasons. BUT AWD + snow tires = almost unstoppable!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
Yeah, my fwd XT6 could get itself stuck in a parking space. I'd bet I had more close calls with getting stuck in that car then I have with all my others combined. Winter tires helped but the real solution was a stick so I could start out in 3rd gear when it was slick out. Get the narrowest you can fit on your wheels! Best car I ever owned in the snow was FWD. My EA81 Hatch with cheapie all seasons was simply unstoppable (unless you bury the car so deep in a snow bank you need to crawl out the windows to dig it out but I blame that on the budwieser ice!). My BRAT was also superior to any AWD vehicle I've driven in snow as well also better than the hatch but its a truck not a baha.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 AM

Registered SVX

My XT Turbo was the best car I ever had in snow. I remeber one time when i was blocked in back when i lived in a trailer park and I had to drive through 2 yards to get out and there was about 6 inches of snow. I was pushing snow with the front of that car. My wife felt invicible in that car in the snow. Sometimes that can get you in troube. But my XT Turbo was definately the best vehicle i had in snow and that includes all of my trucks i have had.