Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: SMOG.. . DeAtH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Glad to hear it all worked out Jim!

So you are now full Magnaflow from the 2nd cat all the way back if I'm understanding right?

I'm so glad this one didn't go the route of either be crushed or sent out of state.

I'm taking notes as I will be moving to CA in the future due to priorities (even greater ones than the SVX ) and would really like my car to be able to live with me there too.

I also assume as a last resort there is also some kind of registration for "classics" or "collector vehicle" that would take away any emissions requirements, provided one doesn't need to drive the car many miles per year and can afford another daily driver, etc. At least based on some of the cars I see driving around down there.
The classic vehicle registration is only for cars that are 25 or more years old, I was hoping to use that loophole myself You can check out the california DMV website at http://dmv.ca.gov to see the smog requirements. I know they mention something about non-california emissions vehicles...... this state is so laaaaaaame sometimes.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
The classic vehicle registration is only for cars that are 25 or more years old, I was hoping to use that loophole myself You can check out the california DMV website at http://dmv.ca.gov to see the smog requirements. I know they mention something about non-california emissions vehicles...... this state is so laaaaaaame sometimes.
25 years makes sense for "classic" status, but I guess it doesn't allow much wiggle room to consider something "collector" that is newer (as I think some other states allow).

Wonder what my friend plans to do with his vintage Lotus replica he is building from the ground up - don't think he's putting much in it in the way of emissions?

I don't have too much to go off of with my car as I haven't been required to pass anything for 7 years since I moved out of an "urban area" in WA. Guess I'll make sure to have everything fixed by then and hope for the best like the rest of you.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
25 years makes sense for "classic" status, but I guess it doesn't allow much wiggle room to consider something "collector" that is newer (as I think some other states allow).

Wonder what my friend plans to do with his vintage Lotus replica he is building from the ground up - don't think he's putting much in it in the way of emissions?

I don't have too much to go off of with my car as I haven't been required to pass anything for 7 years since I moved out of an "urban area" in WA. Guess I'll make sure to have everything fixed by then and hope for the best like the rest of you.
If they dont make an issue out of the federal emissions system, you have an advantage here being the SVX is an AWD. They cant test our emissions system under load, since the smog stations are set up for 2WD. They use rollers similar to dyno testing to check your emissions while the engine is under load, but since were AWD, they can only idle and rev test, which is much much easier to pass

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Sounds good.

Not to get too far off topic, but how is CA about other little things like say, dark tinted windows or no front license plate? It looks like those things may be forbidden, as they are here as well, but I see plenty of cars driving around like that in both CA and WA. I get pulled over specifically for no front plate about once a year by some jurisdiction or another and given a warning, say I'll fix it, then forget.

Are these things that would never need to be addressed, need to be temporarily fixed to get registered in the state initially, or need to be fixed permenently to avoid tons of harrassment on the highways from CHP (or yearly inspections failure)?

Sorry to hijack.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Sounds good.

Not to get too far off topic, but how is CA about other little things like say, dark tinted windows or no front license plate? It looks like those things may be forbidden, as they are here as well, but I see plenty of cars driving around like that in both CA and WA. I get pulled over specifically for no front plate about once a year by some jurisdiction or another and given a warning, say I'll fix it, then forget.

Are these things that would never need to be addressed, need to be temporarily fixed to get registered in the state initially, or need to be fixed permenently to avoid tons of harrassment on the highways from CHP (or yearly inspections failure)?

Sorry to hijack.
Its funny you ask about the front plate, I just got back from Home Depot with fasteners to attach mine finally. Nobody gave me any grief about it for over a year, and I see others without them so its probably only something they would mention if you got pulled over for something else first.

The tint on the other hand they might harass you for...... CA is home of the drive-bys and cop shootings on traffic stops so they are more nazi about that, they want to see whats going on in the car. Neither the absence of the front plate nor the tint will prevent you from registering it though.... they only do VIN inspections, at least here in San Bernardino county. I did all my crap thru the AAA office anyways..... I HATE the DMV with a passion.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Thanks for all the tips!

Figured I'd post again in case no one else did, that way you wouldn't have 5 thread kills to your name this week.

(from someone that has probably killed a few hundred here over the years )

Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks for all the tips!

Figured I'd post again in case no one else did, that way you wouldn't have 5 thread kills to your name this week.

(from someone that has probably killed a few hundred here over the years )
No problem Im thinking either I just make the last point, or I stink up the thread so bad even computers wont go there

Ooops I did it again?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:49 PM
The Molinator

1) Front plate technically required.. . most won't enforce, but piss them off (speeding, but can't prove!) and they'll write a fix it ticket! [I removed front plate after getting fixit ticket signed.. . Our SVX's look too good without!]
2) Tint is illegal on windshield (even top tint only!) and side front windows. Same pissed off Sheriif made me remove those that the previous owner had installed in Nevada/Arizona!
3) I'm presently getting "stalked" by different police agencies because of my one rear plate! Not because of the missing front.. . BUT, because some DwEeB stole one plate [personalized: GSLUVSU] about 2 years ago and they let me keep the personalized plate [GSLUVSU], by my submission of the one plate I had left.. . and they returned 2 new ones [GSLUVSU] to me (I keep the second one in my trunk). HOWEVER, because they love to run my plate (???).. .I have been pulled over twice in the last 1 - 2 months to make sure I'm not the guy who stole my plate! {It shows one plate stolen, even tho they let me keep that [GSLUVSU] plate configuration}!
4) Yes, CA is ridiculous on smog/environment/etc.. . What makes CA’s arrogance in this liberal area so absurd, is the fact that CA is beeeeyoooooond bankrupt! [NOW, Obama and his kind are making sure everything sacred, like capitalism, private sector jobs, health care choice, and success are impossible (watch for the coming CrAsH!).] I recommend repentance/torture for Al Gore and any of his kind.
5) It's my understanding that the classic car exemption was frozen at 1976?
[My 1995 Ferrari barely qualified for this a few years ago.]
6) Yes, we do 2 idle smog test here since AWD, which is easier!
7) My SVX has a "new" problem (after the recent discovery of an apparent
axle clicking).. . See "NEW DRIVESHAFT NOISE"
Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:28 PM

Jim, Chris, and Troy, (and all)
I just had my 163K mile '92 smogged. Test only, as all my cars are too old for the regular regimen. No dyno, since it is listed in the tester's book as AWD, and he didn't even want to talk about putting in the fuse and running it on the dyno. It passed. I gave it about a 30 mile freeway run before taking it in, so it was all cleaned out.

Numbers were:
Idle - CO2 - 14.8; HC - 71; CO - 0.18
2600 rpm - CO2 - 14.9; HC - 4; CO - 0.03

Result, PASS.
Was I nervous? Yes, because of a dumb cone filter on the air intake, and because of an occasional CEL. The CEL seems to be knock-sensor related, however, and I have been waiting to find a filter box top to replace the cone, and get some cold air into the engine. Otherwise, it's running nicely, smooth idle, lots of power, and 21MPG in the city.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 07-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDexler View Post
Jim, Chris, and Troy, (and all)
I just had my 163K mile '92 smogged. Test only, as all my cars are too old for the regular regimen. No dyno, since it is listed in the tester's book as AWD, and he didn't even want to talk about putting in the fuse and running it on the dyno. It passed. I gave it about a 30 mile freeway run before taking it in, so it was all cleaned out.

Numbers were:
Idle - CO2 - 14.8; HC - 71; CO - 0.18
2600 rpm - CO2 - 14.9; HC - 4; CO - 0.03

Result, PASS.
Was I nervous? Yes, because of a dumb cone filter on the air intake, and because of an occasional CEL. The CEL seems to be knock-sensor related, however, and I have been waiting to find a filter box top to replace the cone, and get some cold air into the engine. Otherwise, it's running nicely, smooth idle, lots of power, and 21MPG in the city.
Paul
Nice, glad you passed without issue. The alternative here in CA is a real PITA.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDexler View Post
Was I nervous? Yes, because of a dumb cone filter on the air intake
Paul
He must of been shady because he could of lost his license. You should of failed the visual inspection. I don't know of any cone filter that has an EO# on it for the SVX.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

I'm waiting for my smog results right now. I've added an ecutune stage 2v7f and about 30k miles since my last one. Wish me luck, I'll post results when I get them.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Ha! They couldn't even test my car at the same shop I used two years ago. So now I'm back at work, and searching for another shop to do the test tomorrow. Worst case scenario; if I fail on my first test I'll just fill it up with E85 and run it clean. If they want me to follow the rules, they're going to have to make rules that I can follow AND keep my car on the road.
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Maganflow advertises that their cats are 50 state legal.
No longer. They have 49 state legal and then California,

HERE is the NEW California law concerning catalytic converters.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Talking Re: SMOG.. . DeAtH!

I'm a happy camper! Passed with flying colors on my first attempt. Results are Idle (596rpm) / Load (2688rpm)

%CO2 14.14/14.30
%O2 0.3/0.0 (zero percent under load)
HC ppm 42/36
%CO 0.01/0.10

All results are less than half of MAX, although HC was over average by a bit.

Consider this an endorsement for ECUTune's chip and Subaru's longevity. I'm so relieved that this went smooth, I was preparing for the worst. The hardest part of it was the bureaucratic run around and being charged extra and told that I had fewer choices of test location because of my OBDI car.

I'm not prone to superstition, but it was a good omen seeing a '93AE drive by as I left the smog station. We traded waves and honks before the light changed. Now she's getting washed while I work, so this is a good day for my SVX.