Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 PM

Re: SVX Broke down

About the ignition module, the guy meant to say special ordered it. He had first said he had it specially made but after being called out he changed his response to it being special ordered and he couldn't return it. He has given me the freedom to use his shop and tools if you can give many any advice on what to do. Also the car died and will not restart it ran fine and then while driving on the highway it started to run sluggish and the rpm fluctuated back and forth and then it died and it wont restart. Thanks again
Old 06-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

D

It sounds from what you say that your mechanic guy knows a little but maybe does not know enough about Subarus to fix this car for you. You might be better going to a mechanic who is familiar with the SVX. It's up to you, and a number of people have warned you now already.

That said we will help if we can. From what you describe your engine stalled while driving and now will not restart. Have I got that right? This would indicate some critical component failed, and it is usually a process of elimination to see what caused the failure.

Fuel pressure is up, you say, so it is not the fuel pump. That's one possible eliminated.

I'm assuming as you have fuel pressure your starter is turning over the engine. Please confirm. If so this eliminates seized crank or seized camshaft which are physical problems and might not throw a relevant code.

You have no sparks, but you fitted a brand new spark module and it makes no difference, that's another possible fault put to one side.

Huck mentioned the timing belt, but your mechanic says it is not broken. This does not eliminate this belt as the possible cause of your problem. Yet. If the belt has become loose [which can happen because it is old and worn or because the tensioners have weakened] it's possible it may have skipped one or more teeth. If this has happened then the engine timing would be way off. Skip one tooth and the running would be rough. Skip more than one tooth and it probably can't start. This should be high on your list of things to check. Does your mechanic guy understand the engine enough to check this out? And re-time it? Your call.

If the belt skipping teeth has caused your problem, again this would be a mechanical fault and a trouble code may not show for this.

If you are certain the belt has not skipped teeth, your next port of call would be the ECU. It is up under the dashboard near the steering column. The two computers are "nested". The ECU is the bigger one with the yellow connectors:

Does your mechanic have enough information to check if the ECU is faulty? It is not kosher with these cars to keep firing in new components until you hit on the one that failed. With any cars. Too expensive. Bull in a china shop.

Regards reading the trouble codes, I'm unsure what your mechanic means when he says "jumping the two blue wires". There is a procedure for this:

How to read the codes

What the engine codes mean

Please run these diagnostics and revert with whatever codes you find.

Please check if your mechanic can say with certainty the timing belt did/did not jump one or more teeth. If it has done so, can he reset the engine timing?

Please check also if your guy knows how to check the ECU wiring. Does he have the Subaru Select Monitor for checking the engine?

Best of luck with the work.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriffin View Post
just got back from the garage. I took my buddy with me and he asked the guy a ton of questions and my buddy tested some sensors while we were there. Basically what it is coming down to is there is no voltage going to the injectors and no spark. We checked the fuel pressure and it was fine we also put on a new ignition module and still nothing. He said he tried to do the diognostic by jumping to blue wires together and counting flashes but he said he was getting no response. I'm not to sure I understand what he means when he is talking about this. We also checked the MAF and cleaned it but I wouldn't think this would keep it from getting any spark or sending any voltage to the injectors when I turn it over. The guy was actually really helpful when I went today. He said he has tried everything he knows to do and can't figure it out. Do you guys have any ideas of what to try next or what this could possibly be also. Could you explain the whole diognostic thing by jumping the two blue wires that are on the driver side under the dash. The guy said his next thing to try is the computer but he said there was two and he didnt know which one it would be any advice on this. Thanks in advance for the help.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

"No voltage to the injectors and no spark"...... this could be something as simple as a bad ground or even a worn ignition switch contact for the "ON" circuit. I surely wouldnt keep throwing money into it replacing non-returnable electrical parts.

First order of business is like Joe said, check for stored ECU codes, its so easy a caveman could do it. Since it just up and died on you after choking momentarily... this really seems like an electrical wiring issue, have you opened up your main fuse box and looked at the fusible link? Its pretty rare for an ECU to go bad unless its been soaked at some point..... I would really start with the basics and make sure all the power connections you can see under the hood near the battery are clean and secure.

You should DEFINITELY download the online service manual (link is right below in my signature) which contains multiple flow charts to help you diagnose the problem.... best of all its FREE.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.