Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Interesting announcement from Subaru

My daily blog from Automotive News included this this morning:

Toyota sports car to arrive in 2011 with Subaru engine

Hans Greimel
Automotive News
April 10, 2008 - 10:46 am ET

TOKYO -- Toyota's long-anticipated sports car will arrive in 2011. It will be jointly developed with Su-baru and boast a boxer engine.
The compact, rear-wheel-drive " affordable" car will be built at a new Japanese plant to be set up by Fuji Heavy Industries, parent of the Subaru brand. Each company will market the car separately and badge it as its own. The model is part of a sweeping expansion of the tie-up between the Japanese companies.

At a news conference here today, CEO Katsuaki Watanabe also said that Toyota Motor Corp. would boost its stake in Fuji Heavy to 16.5 percent, from its current 8.7 percent. Toyota will pay 31.1 billion yen ($311 million) for the increased holding, effectively snapping up the last of the shares sold back to Fuji Heavy by General Motors in 2005.

Under the growing partnership, Toyota will supply Fuji Heavy with a compact car. Fuji Heavy also will start receiving minivehicles -- cars with engines no bigger than 660cc -- from Toyota affiliate Daihatsu, start-ing in 2009.

No more minicars
Fuji Heavy will eventually jettison all of its own minicar development.
Under the hood of the sports car will be Subaru's trademark horizontally opposed engine. The companies did not say how many cylinders the engine will have. The car will sit on a new Subaru platform and be " de-signed" by Toyota, the companies said. " I think there is high potential for this car," Watanabe said, adding that it will be sold in Japan and overseas. " We haven't had a sports car for a long time. This is a long-awaited-for model." Pricing would be " not prohibitively high," he said.

Other details, such as engine displacement and production volume, are under wraps. But Fuji Heavy President Ikuo Mori said he has driven the test vehicle and is pleased.
" I'm confident we have an excellent car," Mori said.

New Fuji plant
Fuji Heavy will build a plant next to its Gunma Oizumi engine and transmission factory to manufacture the sports car. It will start operation in late 2011. Work there may expand to include other Toyota-commissioned vehicles, Mori said. Fuji Heavy is deciding how big to make the plant and how much money to invest.

The new car fills a gap left by the retirement of the MR2 two-seater. Toyota's midengined MR2 dates back to 1984. It was rechristened the MRS in 1999 and retired last year. Other sporty models over the years have included the Celica, which was discontinued in 2006, and the Supra, on the roads for nearly a quarter of a century from 1978 to 2002.

Watanabe said the success of the joint manufacturing at Fuji Heavy's Lafayette, Ind., plant pushed him to go ahead with the sports car. That plant now makes Camrys for Toyota. " We thought what might be the next step," he said. " Fuji Heavy is a very reliable partner. I hope to identify new areas for collaboration as we continue with the relationship."

Thought you all would be interested.

Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Am I the only one that read that as
Quote:
blah blahblah a rwd transmission that will bolt to an eg33 blah blah blah
Old 04-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
now your talking!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

What I'm seeing is: A Subaru engineered platform with a body/interior designed by Toyota. Could we be on the verge of seeing a good looking new Subie? Dare I hope?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post

What I'm seeing is: A Subaru engineered platform with a body/interior designed by Toyota. Could we be on the verge of seeing a good looking new Subie? Dare I hope?
Yeah like the Tercel wagon, 1st gen Rav4 and the ever stylish Corolla
Old 04-10-2008, 07:58 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Please don't say they're going to stick a Subaru engine in a car with a Toyota badge. That's just blasphemy.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Yeah like the Tercel wagon, 1st gen Rav4 and the ever stylish Corolla
...if it has the taillights of the lexus Is, I'm in... I have an odd obsession with them recently
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Please don't say they're going to stick a Subaru engine in a car with a Toyota badge. That's just blasphemy. That is madness!
Madness?

THIS
IS
MERGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see this car, honestly. Should be pretty cool.

(And the current Impreza sedan looks like a Toyota anyway...)
Old 04-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Other than RWD celica's, early MR2's, and late 80's/early 90's supras, there's not much I like about toyota. They've left the sports car era, and are doing economy class vehicles, which are valued at a dime a dozen. Nothing stands out about their vehicles. I just hope this is done right...
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:38 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
Other than RWD celica's, early MR2's, and late 80's/early 90's supras, there's not much I like about toyota. They've left the sports car era, and are doing economy class vehicles, which are valued at a dime a dozen. Nothing stands out about their vehicles. I just hope this is done right...
Hmm...kinda like Subaru's current lineup!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Please don't say they're going to stick a Subaru engine in a car with a Toyota badge. That's just blasphemy.
Way better than the Chevy-badged Foresters GM was selling in India.

Just what the world needs; another "sports" car. Gas will soon cost four bucks per gallon. Somebody wake me when Subaru announces a revolutionary, high-mileage, sporty commuter (that's not upchuck-ugly).

dcb
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
In another word, the buick of japan!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Hmm...kinda like Subaru's current lineup!
The WRX STi is quite standing out. Speed close to the fastest of corvettes, for less than half the price, with all the modern technologies available. When's the last time Toyota did something interesting? Last time I thought about them was when they re-introduced the MR2 in early 2000's.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thanks for the info Paul, that is interesting all right.

Subaru had a pretty concept car at the Tokyo 2003 show. They called it the B9 Scrambler. [nothing related to the Tribeca SFAIK] It was supposed to be AWD with variable height suspension for off road stuff, and it was meant to have a hybrid engine.

If it comes out looking as good as that concept did, it would sell by the shed-loads.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-11-2008, 08:08 AM

I was just about to post something about the b9 scrambler too... But it looks like it'll finally be competition to the Miata. The Saturn Sky, Dodge Demon, and another that escapes me, came close, but failed, in weight, power, maneuverability, comfort, virtually every category. But at least people are trying.