Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Getting Ready for Long-Needed Maintenance

Okay guys, I'm at 91k miles now and I'm finally getting around to doing the 60k service. Way late, I know, but stuff happens.

Anyway, here are the parts I already have.

-Timing Belt Kit w/ Water Pump (eBay kit, includes pulleys and such)
-Front L/R Timing Covers

I'm putting together an order for the rest of the timing covers (front center, rear L/R) as well as the seals for them. P/Ns are:

13566AA070 - Center Cover Assembly w/ seals
13532AA002 - Rear Timing Cover
13584AA090 - Rear Timing Seal
13533AA002 - Rear Timing Cover
13586AA060 - Rear Timing Seal

When I attempted to get my covers off originally, the plastic holding the bolts broke... and since then I've been leaking oil out of the covers. I'm guessing that's the seals.

Anything else I should be replacing while I'm at it? The thermostat and gasket are relatively new (within 2k miles).
Old 04-06-2008, 06:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
i would change the spark plugs too if they havent been changed in awhile. i noticed my car sounds a lot better after new plugs. they suck to put in, but i think it was worth it. its alot smoother and just purrs so much better.

also, i would do the tranny filter/gasket if you havent done it. mine looked as if no one ever changed it since they put the new transmission in. the fluid smelled terrible and i had to drain it in stages. plus you can clean off the magnet that collects any metal deposits!

do the oil while your working at everything else. maybe drop the pan and clean it out too..... just if your oil has ever been extremely dirty.

maybe a coolant flush..... thats on my list at least haha.

i would do the diffs too if the fluid smells wierd.

maybe a fuel filter? i was going to replace mine, but decided to wait and do some other stuff first. im not sure how long fuel filters last or anything like that.

not sure what else.... i just know im constantly checking/changing fluids in mine, im overly paranoid that ill run out of oil or something i think (or so people tell me). i do have good reason though!

oh, and dont forget to grease your rotors, you dont want those to rust up!
(please dont haha)

Last edited by JLHollowX13; 04-06-2008 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
maybe a coolant flush..... thats on my list at least haha.
Since I'm doing the water pump, that's required! Thanks for the other tips though. Most of it I've had done as maintenance along the way, but there are some things I'll add to my list.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
while your in there, id do the front main seal and lower cam seals. Mabey valve cover gaskets as well, just because its 15 year old rubber
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Retired

Okay, I ordered the parts along with the front main and the valve cover gaskets.

Anybody got the part numbers for the intake cam plugs? I hear they tend to leak and are good to replace since I'm taking everything off anyway.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Okay, I ordered the parts along with the front main and the valve cover gaskets.

Anybody got the part numbers for the intake cam plugs? I hear they tend to leak and are good to replace since I'm taking everything off anyway.
Could you take a picture of the valve cover gaskets when you get them? I wanna know if the gaskets I have are valve cover or not.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Could you take a picture of the valve cover gaskets when you get them? I wanna know if the gaskets I have are valve cover or not.
Roger that.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Maybe a bit late now, but it might have been easier to order the engine seal kit. I bought one, it has over 100 pieces to it (according to the description I have here), everything from head gaskets to water pump gaskets and more o-rings than I can shake a stick at. The only problem is they're all thrown in together, so you'll need to figure out which of the 15 or so o-rings is needed at the time.

I think the kit was around $200.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Valve cover gaskets:

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Valve cover gaskets:
image here
Thank you sir!
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Maybe a bit late now, but it might have been easier to order the engine seal kit. I bought one, it has over 100 pieces to it (according to the description I have here), everything from head gaskets to water pump gaskets and more o-rings than I can shake a stick at. The only problem is they're all thrown in together, so you'll need to figure out which of the 15 or so o-rings is needed at the time.

I think the kit was around $200.
For all the parts I needed it was $160, with the expensive bits being the timing belt covers. I didn't really have the funds to blow on the seal kit, so I'd rather just get the required ones instead of a crapload of ones I'll probably never ever use.

Anyone got those part numbers on the Intake Cam Plugs?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM

I may be mistaken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Okay guys, I'm at 91k miles now and I'm finally getting around to doing the 60k service. Way late, I know, but stuff happens.

When I attempted to get my covers off originally, the plastic holding the bolts broke... and since then I've been leaking oil out of the covers. I'm guessing that's the seals.

Anything else I should be replacing while I'm at it? The thermostat and gasket are relatively new (within 2k miles).
but I don't think the function of the timing belt covers is to hold oil in your car.

Could be just to keep critters, dirt and other stuff out?

Hove fun and good luck!
Keith
Old 04-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Retired

I'm leaking oil out of 'em 'cause some other seal somewhere is, it just wasn't noticed until I busted the covers. I'm replacing 'em because I don't care for the idea of dirt and stuff getting all over the timing belt hardware.