How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Glass Headlight Tilt??

There are a few countries that had glass headlights. are the frenzel(sp?) lens cut the same way for all our lights, or are they different, depending what side of the road you drive on? Or is that tilt set by something else that can be swapped out w/ US parts? (not talking about the electronic tilt)

James
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!

Last edited by zavikan; 04-02-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: adding
Old 04-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Registered SVX
AFAIK, the projectors aren't a fresnel lens......... If it were, you would notice it right away with all the cuts that would be on it.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 AM

mmm

I know the projectors have the clear section of plastic in front of them, but the fogs and highbeams are certainly behind frenzel lenses.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
I know the projectors have the clear section of plastic in front of them, but the fogs and highbeams are certainly behind frenzel lenses.
You are correct about this, the fogs and main beams are behind fluted lenses, fresnels if you like.

I will check some pictures I have of German glass lamps vs the UK ones I have, to see if there is any difference. There should be no difference.

The "dip to the right" or "dip to the left" function is handled by the projector beam which shines through a clear panel of plastic or glass. The side it dips towards is set in the factory before the lamp is sealed by shifting the bulb holder 90 degrees to one side or the other, depending where the car is to be marketed.

James, when you ask " is the tilt set?" do you mean the up and down setting for load, or do you mean dip right or dip left?

I've just explained the dip mechanism above. On UK cars there is a motor to move the lamp up and down, with a positional switch on the console.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Jdm

I have a pair of JDM headlights and was also wondering if there is a light pattern difference to compensate for right versus left drive. I haven't had a chance to try to determine that at this point. They are still in the box so have not even evaluated electrical connection compatibility yet. They are not glass, of course.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post

As was stated before, the fogs and highs are in behind a fluted cover. A fresnel lens is something very different.... It's a projector lens that has several different cuts on the lens, and each cut is different to help focus the beam where you want it to be. It's what they use in lighthouses, and some sweet led flashlights.

Last edited by dragoontwo; 04-03-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post

The "dip to the right" or "dip to the left" function is handled by the projector beam which shines through a clear panel of plastic or glass. The side it dips towards is set in the factory before the lamp is sealed by shifting the bulb holder 90 degrees to one side or the other, depending where the car is to be marketed.

Joe

Yes, I meant Dip. So, do you think this could be flipped? when you say 'sealed' I think not...

I also wonder if our plastic housings will hold the glass lens, and we can simply switch that instead.

James
Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Yes James it can be flipped. You just need to unseal the headlamp in an oven, and change to the other position.

It is my opinion, and it is only that, that the European glass front can be sealed to the US or jdm headlamp body. And will work.

Go ahead. Make my day.

Prove me wrong.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl