Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Arrow Beav.. and anyone else who might care.

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
If it turns out that the extra freon causes the temp to increase there is one other item you can try. That would be to change out the trinary switch with one from a later model SVX that originally came with R134. R134 normally runs lower low side pressure than R12 (c. 22# vs 32-34#). Some switches are a bit picky and will kick out the compressor, thinking that the freon is low.

Freon conversions can be a bit tricky sometimes but they aren't exactly rocket science either. It mostly boils down to the person doing the conversion taking the time to do the job right.

If I can be of anymore help, don't hesitate to ask.
.. The charge was a little low... I got most of the bubbles out with a 13.00 can of r134. ... that wasn't the problem... while I was playing with the fuses I pushed down on the #7 AC relay in the fuse box..... it was not down tight...... I pushed it down and the compressor came on and stayed on.... works like a charm when all of the parts are installed correctly! The pressure is at about 40# on the lowside and temp at the vent is 42 degrees.. I can live with that ... but is it to high? You say about 22# and that kind of worries me. And thank you ... I now know more about AC than I ever wanted to know! (but not enought to make money!!!!)

Feelin' cool now!
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
That's certainly a good thing.

R134 requires a more efficient (or just plain larger) condensor to pass off heat. The least little bit of obstruction/debris will raise the pressures. Driving will force more air through the condensor and lower the pressures also. It could also be that the system has some air in it and that will create bubbles too. Adding more freon would reduce the bubbles but raise the pressure in the process. (rough rule of thumb - one degree temp (f) for each pound of pressure in the low side)
Old 06-07-2002, 11:08 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
That's certainly a good thing.

R134 requires a more efficient (or just plain larger) condensor to pass off heat. The least little bit of obstruction/debris will raise the pressures. Driving will force more air through the condensor and lower the pressures also. It could also be that the system has some air in it and that will create bubbles too. Adding more freon would reduce the bubbles but raise the pressure in the process. (rough rule of thumb - one degree temp (f) for each pound of pressure in the low side)
So.... If I take it back down to 6# (like the guy at the shop had it) I could get down to 6 degrees.......... somehow I don't think that a rough thumb even comes close there!!

Thanks for you help .... !
Old 06-08-2002, 05:03 AM
Not as old as Randy

Responding for clarity...

Sure, if you can reach 6# with minimum bubbles and bypass the low pressure and evaporator temperature sensors. They have a reason for being, if unchecked the evaporator freezes up solid and that doesn't help your situation either.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:49 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Re: Responding for clarity...

Quote:
Sure, if you can reach 6# with minimum bubbles and bypass the low pressure and evaporator temperature sensors. They have a reason for being, if unchecked the evaporator freezes up solid and that doesn't help your situation either.
Beav! Beav! I WAS JOKING!!! I think you've been dealing with the general public too long! But then.... maybe you were just joking too??? and I've been dealing with idiots too much!!! Anyway I'm sure that if you hadn't clarified someone would have tried it! I'll be leaving this topic alone now (until the AC goes south again).

Time to start trying to figure out why my gas mileage is down to 13mph(in the city) and the car seems to drive and feel fine.!!!! Look for me to tack into a thead that deals with this after I change the sparkplugs........

again thanks for you help
Old 06-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Not as old as Randy

I was pretty certain that you were, but I've been wrong before...

There are actually a/c 'enhancers' on the market, a sort of 'high performance a/c in a can' type stuff that can work, to varying degrees. There's also little tricks for those so inclined and capable.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:51 PM

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today after not starting my car for a few, it sounded like a diesel. After a few secs, it was fine. This is probably irrelevent. Upon returing from the store, I noticed a big puddle stain under where my car was previously parked. At first I thought OIL!!! I checked my engine oil. A little low, but perfectly safe. I checked my tranny fluid. Way high up the stick, suggesting it was running scorching hot, but also fine. I checked my gear differential level. Again Fine. I then looked at my coolant resevoir. EMPTY. My question is, is it possible I screwed something up cleaning my condensor. A sensor perhaps? I figured for some reason, my car dumped a crap load of coolant onto the pavement where I was parked. I'm not sure it's coolant, but if it were oil, wouldn't it be really wet and dirty if it driped over the course of 4 days? I've also noticed my car has been running ever so slightly hotter.
Thanks, Dave.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:29 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today after not starting my car for a few, it sounded like a diesel. After a few secs, it was fine. This is probably irrelevent. Upon returing from the store, I noticed a big puddle stain under where my car was previously parked. At first I thought OIL!!! I checked my engine oil. A little low, but perfectly safe. I checked my tranny fluid. Way high up the stick, suggesting it was running scorching hot, but also fine. I checked my gear differential level. Again Fine. I then looked at my coolant resevoir. EMPTY. My question is, is it possible I screwed something up cleaning my condensor. A sensor perhaps? I figured for some reason, my car dumped a crap load of coolant onto the pavement where I was parked. I'm not sure it's coolant, but if it were oil, wouldn't it be really wet and dirty if it driped over the course of 4 days? I've also noticed my car has been running ever so slightly hotter.
Thanks, Dave.
Determining various fluids is a matter of color and smell. Tranny fluid (unless very old) will be pinkish (if old, brownish-red). Engine oil will be "honey-colored" with a slight "brownish" tint (if recently changed) or, chocolate brown if old. So, if it's engine oil, it will not have a "reddish" look to it. As for coolant, it will generally be green or yellowish green, and smell a bit like pancake syrup. I can't really descibe the smells of tranny oil and engine oil, but they are distinctly different. I guess you just have to smell it enough to know, and I've got tranny oil pretty much down pat.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aredubjay
[B]

As for coolant, it will generally be green or yellowish green, and smell a bit like pancake syrup.

Yes, & when mixed 50/50 with Motor Honey, makes a great topping for my Belchin' Waffles.

Emeril.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:21 PM

It had to have been coolant. I went out to where my car was parked this eavening and noticed the puddle stain had dissapeared. And no, it didn't rain. Oil doesn't evaporate like this. The only question now is, why did it dump its coolant?

Dave

Last edited by DavieGravy; 06-14-2002 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:09 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
The only question now is, why did it dump its coolant?

Dave
Well, you probably don't want to "go there." There could be a million possibilities. Check hoses first. Then, if all's well there, hope to God you didn't poke a pinhole in your radiator while doing your condenser cleaning and hope the radiator isn't cracked. THEN, if all's okay there (I don't even want to think this), I don't know about the SVX, but most water pumps have a "weep hole" that begins to weep coolant as an indication that the water pump is going bad. Those are just a few things to check, in order of "most hopeful to least hopeful scenario" order.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-14-2002, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

hope to God you didn't poke a pinhole in your radiator while doing your condenser cleaning and hope the radiator isn't cracked..
For some reason, I think the overflow valve was triggered, as the resevoir was drained and the radiator was completely full. I doubt I would have cracked my rad. There's just no way the end of that pipe could have gotton past those fins. I topped of the res today and it seems to be holding it.
Dave

Last edited by DavieGravy; 06-15-2002 at 10:42 PM.