How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2002, 12:35 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Wooo Whooooo!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Gee. I'm crushed. Sounds like you'd been handed down a death sentence or something.

And I was kinda looking forward to talking to you.
OOPS! Seems that is what I'm always doing... I got so excited about the immediate solultion or answer that I missed the fact that there was an opportunity to talk..... Well, Get my pm
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Wooo Whooooo!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

OOPS! Seems that is what I'm always doing... I got so excited about the immediate solultion or answer that I missed the fact that there was an opportunity to talk..... Well, Get my pm
Yeah, sure. No problem. Excitement is good. Enjoy it while you're still young and can do something about it.

I notice you've changed your status to "My front end wobbles." So, you may have trouble with your "wobble plate" after all.

Good luck on the diag.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Boone

Lightbulb Re: Re: Re: Re: Wooo! Whoooo!

Always a pleasure to help. I think that a passed diag is indicated by "00". It was posted by "likethecube". Hmm.. I should get the FSM. I've got a scanner and the time. B.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wooo! Whoooo!

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Always a pleasure to help. I think that a passed diag is indicated by "00". It was posted by "likethecube". Hmm.. I should get the FSM. I've got a scanner and the time. B.
Get this....... Do you think I could get it to malfunction at lunch.....??? the compressor worked every time.... for more than one hour of turning it off and on. I ran the diag in the garage and got 13...... in the sun got 00. I think thats good.... right? to me it means that the sun sensor was closed in the dark and working in the sun....??

...... But do you think it heard us talking?? could it be that my car has a wireless connection to the internet that nobody knows about????? Thank guys.... I'm sure we scared it in to working again
Old 06-05-2002, 02:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wooo! Whoooo!

Quote:

Get this....... Do you think I could get it to malfunction at lunch.....??? the compressor worked every time.... for more than one hour of turning it off and on. I ran the diag in the garage and got 13...... in the sun got 00. I think thats good.... right? to me it means that the sun sensor was closed in the dark and working in the sun....??

...... But do you think it heard us talking?? could it be that my car has a wireless connection to the internet that nobody knows about????? Thank guys.... I'm sure we scared it in to working again
I know the feeling. When I was working in radio, if a turntable, or a cart machine would malfunction (yes, folks, it was a long time ago), the sure way to get it to work would be to call an engineer. Alls he had to do was walk into the studio and everything worked properly again. Whassup wid dat?!?!?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-05-2002, 03:18 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wooo! Whoooo!

Quote:

I know the feeling. When I was working in radio, if a turntable, or a cart machine would malfunction (yes, folks, it was a long time ago), the sure way to get it to work would be to call an engineer. Alls he had to do was walk into the studio and everything worked properly again. Whassup wid dat?!?!?
I worked at real high end stations...... if the (yes most of the time we only had one at the KBUH in beautiful downtown Brigham City, Utah) cart didn't work we read the copy and tried to throw some music behind..... When I got to the Salt Lake market we did it all on cassette..(real nice to cue up!!!)

However, I know for a fact that when I pick up the date tonight the AC will crap out again!! She thinks all I do is work on this car and replace things that fall off....(and spend money on the car) come to think of it ..... SHE'S RIGHT!!!!
Old 06-05-2002, 03:36 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wooo! Whoooo!

Quote:

I worked at real high end stations...... if the (yes most of the time we only had one at the KBUH in beautiful downtown Brigham City, Utah) cart didn't work we read the copy and tried to throw some music behind..... When I got to the Salt Lake market we did it all on cassette..(real nice to cue up!!!)

However, I know for a fact that when I pick up the date tonight the AC will crap out again!! She thinks all I do is work on this car and replace things that fall off....(and spend money on the car) come to think of it ..... SHE'S RIGHT!!!!

Cassette!?!? Good lord, I can't imagine that. It was bad enough working with "Spotmasters," the kind you had to "cock" before you "pulled the trigger."

I recently went to the open house of the new studios for the last radio station I worked for. Everything is touch screen and everything is logged automatically. At least cueing carts and records and filling out the commercial log, gave us "old timers" something to do. Now, all you have to do is touch the screen to fire off your next song or commercial set. Even at "request time," just touch the screen to bring up the music library and search for a song title and set it in the que. Sheesh. Dunno if I could get used to that.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your A/C tonight. Luckily, my "date" has to deal with my obsession. She promised . . . for better or for worse. She's stuck it out for 26 years now, so, hopefully, she'll keep on keeping her promise.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-05-2002, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Earthworm, this is what I understood also. I'd have to check my service manuals for solid confirmation, but, I'm *almost* certain this is the case with the SVX.
Thanks Aredubjay. You just made my Year!!!
Old 06-05-2002, 08:02 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I just 'found' this thread, the network is all screwy on both of my computers tonight.

Even though it seems to be blowing cold when the compressor kicks in it could be a low charge of freon that's causing the problem. If you haven't had it checked in a while this would be good reason to do so.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:22 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Beav!

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I just 'found' this thread, the network is all screwy on both of my computers tonight.

Even though it seems to be blowing cold when the compressor kicks in it could be a low charge of freon that's causing the problem. If you haven't had it checked in a while this would be good reason to do so.
I just had the ac recharged and converted.. the sight glass shows the "lots of small bubbles white and foamy" image that the manual says is good, and since I found out how to run the diag program ..... it's worked! So, we'll see.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2002, 09:57 PM
Not as old as Randy

Uh...I don't know who wrote your manual but the sightglass should be clear - bubbles mean the system is not fully charged or it has an air contamination.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Quote:
Uh...I don't know who wrote your manual but the sightglass should be clear - bubbles mean the system is not fully charged or it has an air contamination.
Errr... That's what I get for trying to remember what I read I'll go back to the drawing board....i mean ... the book tonight and the AC shop tomorrow.... Thanks Beav.... gods know you know more than me here!!!
Old 06-05-2002, 11:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

Thanks Aredubjay. You just made my Year!!!

Wow. Cool. I guess I should quit while I'm ahead. Maybe I should quit posting for a while ...............................................
.................................................. ................................NAH!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-06-2002, 01:31 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Talking Hey Beav....

Quote:
I went back to the shop today to complain... I need a second opinion. He said that because of the conversion and r134 expands more he left out 20% of the charge..... He said that bubbles were always going to be there (manual says different but WAS written for R12). Should I go back and raise hell or just take it someplace else for a charge. For what I paid him for the conversion and the replacement of the condesor and radiator (221.00) I'm not sure which way to jump. All of a sudden I'm not sure I trust him......... wa da ya think?
Old 06-06-2002, 07:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

It's true that the system doesn't hold as much R134 as it did R12, typically only 75-80%. The tricky part is that most cars haven't had sight glasses in them for years now. However I've found that the ones that do occasionally have a few bubbles in them when I add the calculated amount. There's a huge difference between a few bubbles and a foamy stream. I have found that I can add enough R134 beyond the calculated amount, get rid of the bubbles and still have cold air. (Too much freon can be as bad as not enough in an a/c.)

The theory (that pans out true even in conversions, in my book) is that the expansion valve needs a flow of liquid to do its job properly and if there are bubbles present that indicates the freon isn't totally liquified. Seeing how you're having problems with the a/c operating intermittently and not cooling well I'd be adding more R134, at least enough to keep the compressor cycling. Once it runs continuously drive it down the road a couple miles with a thermometer in the center dash register. It should be blowing around 34-38 degrees with the fan on 3/4 speed. If it turns out that the extra freon causes the a/c to run warmer they can always reclaim a portion of it. Sometimes this is the only way to get the amount right (by experimentation) and they should realize that when they sell a conversion they may have to spend a little more time in order to nail it down correctly.

If it turns out that the extra freon causes the temp to increase there is one other item you can try. That would be to change out the trinary switch with one from a later model SVX that originally came with R134. R134 normally runs lower low side pressure than R12 (c. 22# vs 32-34#). Some switches are a bit picky and will kick out the compressor, thinking that the freon is low.

Freon conversions can be a bit tricky sometimes but they aren't exactly rocket science either. It mostly boils down to the person doing the conversion taking the time to do the job right.

If I can be of anymore help, don't hesitate to ask.