Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
ECUtune forged pistons for NA SVXii

I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to the upcoming batch of forged pistons for naturally aspirated SVXii. There has been interest in and requests for forged pistons for naturally aspirated SVXii and we've got almost enough people who say they are ready to order to be able to get a batch made at an affordable price, $800 per set including rings and pins.

These pistons are geared for and will be optimized for naturally aspirated SVX's so there are some notable differences in the piston design from the ones we got made for forced induction. Most notably they will not have lateral gas porting so the rings will last longer and they will have a compression ratio in the range of 9.3 to 9.5. This compression ratio will work better with the poorer quality fuel they are selling these days and let us run mid grade and probably even regular unleaded.

They will have deep valve recesses to maintain zero interference with the ECUtune camshafts. They will use japanese rings and be designed the correct size to allow a good hone of the cyllinders.

I'll go collect up the names I have thus far for the head count on this batch and make another post to start the head count. I haven't done a good job of keeping track of people yet so if I forget you or count you and you weren't 100% ready and in please correct and repost the list.

thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Just some dude.

Ok, I know there are more but I couldn't find them so guys that I missed please add yourself and repost.

Headcount to date:
Nickfu S.
EarthWorm
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
/subscribe

Is the lower compression ratio going to have any other noticeable effects or advantages?
Disadvantages?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:14 AM

Mike why not up the compression ratio above standard then I would be interested. Matt had to shave the heads to increase his and that resulted in big problems for him. It would be better to do it with pistons.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Just some dude.

It must be nice to live somewhere where the gasoline is good enough to consider increasing the compression ratio. The petroleum refiners and the environmental protection agency have been on a spree of reformulating the gasoline over here in the states. Each new formulation seems worse than the last. For street use we'll make more power with lower compression.
To run higher compression here you'd have to run race gas.

If we can get together half a dozen people who want high compression pistons we can get a batch of those made too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
Mike why not up the compression ratio above standard then I would be interested. Matt had to shave the heads to increase his and that resulted in big problems for him. It would be better to do it with pistons.
Tony
Old 08-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Yeah, they don't offer premium fuel in Alaska so I won't be in for higher compression.
Octane booster are rising in price here too so lower comp would be paying for itself in the long run. (Very long run.. )

LAN, nobody is willing to install pistons (nobody I can trust), and it was difficult enough to even find someone to do the seals on my engine so I won't be installing these any time soon. I'll probably do it next year along with cams so time is no longer an issue.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 08-11-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:10 AM

Lower compression does cost some power, but honestly too many people raise the compression and end up with nothing better than stock.

9.5:1 is a good ratio for this as you lose little compared to the higher CR, yet it doesn't require the exacting tuning and ultra complex engine management that running 10:1 or higher on 87 octane takes.

I doubt that there is anyone here not willing to give up a couple peak HP for easier tuning, and extra reliablity in the real world where gas pumps can spit out stuff way off the pump label at times.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
we have stations around here that we can get 94, 97, 104, and 110 octane gas at. 110 is around 7.65 a gallon i believe
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Just some dude.

Well this thread isn't getting the attenion I would have hoped. The couple of people who said they were definitely in on forged pistons that I lost contact with are still lost. Come on now...who wants to build an SVX engine? I want to build a new engine for my pearlie soon. I'd like to get these pistons ordered asap.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,
Can you be a little more specific regarding what $800 buys? Tool steel wrist pins? How much lighter than stock? Good up to 20-30 psi (okay, so some of us might just stray into the pressurized arena in the future)? Type of compression and oil control rings?
Thanks.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Michael,
Can you be a little more specific regarding what $800 buys? Tool steel wrist pins? How much lighter than stock? Good up to 20-30 psi (okay, so some of us might just stray into the pressurized arena in the future)? Type of compression and oil control rings?
Thanks.
-Bill
Bill, if you want to be forced... get the 8.5cr pistons we already have made...

Tom
Old 09-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Bill, if you want to be forced... get the 8.5cr pistons we already have made...

Tom

Think I'd rather have the higher compression now and just have to "live" with only 5-6 psi in the future
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Think I'd rather have the higher compression now and just have to "live" with only 5-6 psi in the future
-Bill
Then keep the stock bottom end and just do the heads... These pistons are meant for an N/A build and will only be a restriction on boost if placed into a FI motor. I meant we are flowing ssssooooo many more CFM's with the lower compression pistons... with the 9psi pulley sicksubie is seeing 6.5-7psi at WOT. It could be an air leak but his AFR's are telling me otherwise

Tom
Old 09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Then keep the stock bottom end and just do the heads... These pistons are meant for an N/A build and will only be a restriction on boost if placed into a FI motor. I meant we are flowing ssssooooo many more CFM's with the lower compression pistons... with the 9psi pulley sicksubie is seeing 6.5-7psi at WOT. It could be an air leak but his AFR's are telling me otherwise

Tom
I hear you...I'm just worried about the ring lands that several folks (you included) have found a way to break off under only slightly severe use. I don't want to rebuild the engine with stock pistons only to have the pistons go south after a single 100 shot of NO2
-Bill

My Locker
Old 09-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
I hear you...I'm just worried about the ring lands that several folks (you included) have found a way to break off under only slightly severe use. I don't want to rebuild the engine with stock pistons only to have the pistons go south after a single 100 shot of NO2
-Bill

My lands gave way under heavy doses of detonation on 12psi... none of us have had issues with the 9psi setup. If you are gonna run big N20 meaning 100 shot or more I would say go with the better pistons but 10psi max is good for the stock pistons... the rods may be another story but don't you have Sti rods you are installing?

Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: