Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Registered SVX
5 Speed Tiptronic On Its Way!

Hiya guys,

I have started on the 1st step of the 5 Speed tiptronic & steering wheel paddle change nightmare! lol

I have bought a damaged JDM Legacy RSK B4 Twin Turbo Blitzen in Japan
(pics are in my locker if anyone is interested)

Its a done job in Japan in 2 Alcyone's I know of and from what I hear is perfect for the car and engine and its a straight choice over a manual without question in Japan with a few others using just a 5 speed tiptronic without the paddle change on the wheel.

My box is perfect so its really only a personal thing why im doing it and with the paddle change on the steering wheel and the way the tiptronic shifts it will be fantastic for the type of driving I do and will be doing in the car.

Its going to be a winter project as the car wont be here until end of August and the Alcyone is running perfect so I will make use of it during the summer.

I would welcome any advice from anyone working on the electrics for the later box's I know a few of you from over the world are doing bits and bobs behind the scene and maybe we can all swap info, I am trying to get as much info and details from Japan for 1 of the swaps as my shipping agent knows the guy who has the car.

Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Sweeeeeeeeet
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Dayton-Dave

Registered SVX
Man after my own heart......

Your 66 MGB....exactly what we had when I met my wife.....she had bought it new. I asked at a party...."who owns the MGB out front!" A year later, we were married. Kept it for 3 years.

10 years later we got a 67 Sunbeam Tiger II...kept that one for 22 years, sold it 6 years ago because I bought and built up a TR-6 and it actually became a faster car. It has 200 horsepower and turns the 1/4 mile in 14.2. I built it to autocross and thus handles very well and a hell of a lot better than my Tiger.

My dream car....

and you own one. Hats off to ya!!!

Dave
Old 06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Old Guy

You would've thought TVR could make a proper grill for the car, but they had all those WWII landing mats, so might as well make good use of 'em.
Preston
Old 06-11-2007, 05:03 PM

Registered SVX
Hi Dave,

That is a lovley TR, still something about the 60's/70's classics nothing has come close to since. When cars were built by enthusiasts not accountants and computors.
Probably why I love the SVX, the biggest financial insanity the Japanese have made in years & then they must have sold the instruction book to VW to build the Bugatti Veyron

My MG was bought new by a Major when he retired in 66 and remained in his family until I bought it 8 years ago, it has every receipt for every penny spent on the car and a log of all its journeys it made up until 1994!
Get a life springs to mind but its been fasinating reading all the same and a nice little history i guess.

The guy with a TVR Tuscan that far from the factory is either very brave, very patient or in a padded cell now? lol
Mine has had all the usual TVR electrical problems, well I guess they actually need to work in the 1st place to become a problem! and also the head problem eating the cams and then killing off the cats, hense why I got the 420BHP conversion done at the same time the engine was rebuilt at 6300 miles.
One of those cars you love or hate depending on what mood she in when you start the ***** up to go & play

Darren.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

Old 06-11-2007, 05:03 PM

good luck with the swap.

I love teh 5spd sport shift in the current Legacys other than the stupid long shift time we get. I hope the JDM ones are quicker even at the expense of harshness on the manual selected shift. Kinda silly to have a .5- 1 sec delay like the US boxes.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Registered SVX
I drove an RSK TT for around 4 months with the tiptronic and paddle change and thats really what made me decide on it over a manual, there is no delay at all in the shifts up or down and its nicer to drive than the manual version.
There is also a diff controller available in Japan so I will probably get hold of 1 of those and have a play with that, I understand it will run 90% to 65% rear wheel drive and on another setting lock the diff 50/50 for snow/gravel the same as the Type R/Ra Impreza.

Darren.

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

Old 06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
I drove an RSK TT for around 4 months with the tiptronic and paddle change and thats really what made me decide on it over a manual, there is no delay at all in the shifts up or down and its nicer to drive than the manual version.
There is also a diff controller available in Japan so I will probably get hold of 1 of those and have a play with that, I understand it will run 90% to 65% rear wheel drive and on another setting lock the diff 50/50 for snow/gravel the same as the Type R/Ra Impreza.

Darren.
Hi Darren, Good luck with the swap as this is something I've been looking into for a while now. Please PM me when you get a moment with a list of the components necessary for the swap with diff controller if you could. Keep us informed of your progress when it begins as this is going to be so cool!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:42 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
TVR and an MG?!

Dude... Teach me...

Seriously, me and my pal have been wanting so bad to own a TVR it's suicidal .

But yeah that's cool about the tiptronic and the jdm leganus and such.

Give us an update when it's finished!

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 06-12-2007, 03:06 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Hiya guys,

I have started on the 1st step of the 5 Speed tiptronic & steering wheel paddle change nightmare! lol

I have bought a damaged JDM Legacy RSK B4 Twin Turbo Blitzen in Japan
(pics are in my locker if anyone is interested)

Its a done job in Japan in 2 Alcyone's I know of and from what I hear is perfect for the car and engine and its a straight choice over a manual without question in Japan with a few others using just a 5 speed tiptronic without the paddle change on the wheel.

My box is perfect so its really only a personal thing why im doing it and with the paddle change on the steering wheel and the way the tiptronic shifts it will be fantastic for the type of driving I do and will be doing in the car.

Its going to be a winter project as the car wont be here until end of August and the Alcyone is running perfect so I will make use of it during the summer.

I would welcome any advice from anyone working on the electrics for the later box's I know a few of you from over the world are doing bits and bobs behind the scene and maybe we can all swap info, I am trying to get as much info and details from Japan for 1 of the swaps as my shipping agent knows the guy who has the car.

Darren
We need to talk to Paddles. He would know where to start looking in Japan to get info from the guys who have done the conversion.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
British stoicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton-Dave
Your 66 MGB....exactly what we had when I met my wife.....she had bought it new. I asked at a party...."who owns the MGB out front!" A year later, we were married. Kept it for 3 years.

10 years later we got a 67 Sunbeam Tiger II...kept that one for 22 years, sold it 6 years ago because I bought and built up a TR-6 and it actually became a faster car. It has 200 horsepower and turns the 1/4 mile in 14.2. I built it to autocross and thus handles very well and a hell of a lot better than my Tiger.

My dream car....

Dave
Dave, a friend of mine in the UK was in the TVR club [He sold the car after one of our mutual mates was killed in a spin off the road ]

One of the guys came out with a beaut at a barbeque we were having; "People have the impression TVRs are very low cars, but in their natural environment, on the back of a trailer, they're quite tall, really"

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
British stoicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton-Dave

My dream car....

Dave
Dave, a friend of mine in the UK was in the TVR club [He sold the car after one of our mutual mates was killed in a spin off the road ]

One of the guys came out with a beaut at a barbeque we were having; "People have the impression TVRs are very low cars, but in their natural environment, on the back of a trailer, they're quite tall, really"

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 AM

Registered SVX
Hiya Joe,

Its bad when the AA & RAC know you on 1st name terms and invite you to weddings and parties as your such close friends with a TVR lol

I have the guy in Japan who has 1 already in the SVX, its getting the details from him to my agent and then to English, I will get there eventually!
I have even thought about shipping the car back out to Japan and getting him to do the whole job, its an extra £1000 in shipping costs but im thinking I might save most of that if I get a problem and need to get extra autolecs in to solve them and even then they are not gonna be fully aware of either the SVX or the JDM Legacy. Plus I wont be doing the job myself so Im paying someone anyway here or there.

Darren

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Have you got the Workshop Manual?

Wiring will be critical.

You will need to maintain all the input feeds to the ECU from the NEW transmission computer that the engine computer currently needs to have in order to work properly with the 4EAT transmission.

You will also need to use the tiptronic 5-speed computer from the Legacy to operate the new transmission. In order to get this working properly, I can see you needing to research the input-output diagram from the 5-speed in relation to differences from the 4EAT. In other words if there are additional signal sensors [or different ones!] required to inform the 5-speed computer, then you will either have to fit these to the EG33, or bluff the new TCU into thinking that it is reading acceptable signal values for these extra sensor inputs.

It needs a little bit of TCU electronics knowledge to get this working, but I see no reason why it could not be done.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
I have the guy in Japan who has 1 already in the SVX, its getting the details from him to my agent and then to English, I will get there eventually!
Oh man, would I ever like to talk to that guy... he must enjoy the heck out of that car.

Best of luck with the project... only problem is, if you have a guy in Japan do it for you, you'd have to dismantle it to figure out what he did! Hahaha. I mean, I totally understand the having-others-do-impossible-things part, but then we don't learn anything.

That said, boy would I love that transmission in my car...