How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-22-2002, 04:38 PM
DonL

Question Help with Potential Purchase '94 SVX

I'm currently looking at a 1994 SVX, 81000 miles. Owner states, in the ad, automatic with warranty. I would assume that means it has a new or rebuilt transmission already.

Price is $6000.00. Which to me..sounds like a great deal.

I'm wondering what questions should I be asking of the current owner?

What sights and sounds should I be looking for while test driving and looking under the hood?

I already know to look for the transmission ID# and run the "Power" diag after driving it. And I should be listening for the lions roar from the back end while driving.

And "After the Purchase" questions:

Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid,etc..etc..
Should I immediately get a transmission cooler?
Are there any other essential mods that should be installed?

I have always admired(lusted) the SVX. I first saw it (1991) at a Subura dealer, when I was purchasing my Mits Eclipse so many years ago (traded in a XT6 and still regret it to this day). After a somewhat brief conversation with the sales guy we determined I could not possibly afford it.

But now..I can. yet after reading the horror stories, I have to wonder, is this the car for me. I'm not extremely automotively inclined. I do not want to end up purchasing another hanger queen (my SAAB does that nicely).

I know I'm asking for allot of info here, but I would like no unpleasant surprises with the SVX (and keep my wife off my ass) Any help and/or insight that you owners can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also..I think a new buyers FAQ would be an incredible addition to the SVX sites. If there is one I haven't been able to locate it. But this forum has been an amazing help.

More questions to follow...

Thanks to All in Advance,

Don Leggett
"Still driving da Mits"

Last edited by DonL; 04-22-2002 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Green1995SVX

Just a small note. With it being a 94, check to asure that it is, indeed, an AWD model. Many of the 94's were FWD.

If it has leather interior, it has AWD. That's an easy way to tell

-Mike
Old 04-22-2002, 05:52 PM
DonL

Thanks for the info Mike.

Is the transmission problem more common to the AWD?

DonL
Old 04-22-2002, 05:57 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by DonL

DonL
It seems to me that the tranny problem lurks within both the FWD and AWD models.

-Mike
Old 04-22-2002, 08:32 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by DonL
Thanks for the info Mike.

DonL
I have a 94L (FWD) and it has trouble with the tranny.
<<What sights and sounds should I be looking for while test driving and looking under the hood? >>

Well, every SVX sounds different. But you will know if it is howling, that it has a bearing issue and it can come from all 4 wheels. Engine should be in great shape. Open the engine bay and check for oil, as well as Power Steering Fluid levels. Also check for the tranny fluid. It may not be bright red but should not be brown and should not have ANY particles in it. Check the brakes for warpage.

<<And "After the Purchase" questions:
Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid,etc..etc..
Should I immediately get a transmission cooler?
Are there any other essential mods that should be installed? >>

First thing before I get it would be call 1800 SUBARU-3 and ask them if the car had anything major serviced and check and see if the tranny was replaced at any SOA dealers. If so, you are better off then getting a rebuilt tranny.

After gettting the car, go to the dealer for the first oilchange and check up. It will run you about 120ish. 30 odd for oil change and the remaining for check up. They should let you know if the car is in decent condition. If the tranny is running fine, do not mess with it. Do not do any flushes. If you want to flush it out, slowly drain a little tranny fluid at a time and replace slowly. A sudden flush can really screw up your tranny. Also check for your differential fluid.

Buying a SVX can all be luck if you are new to the SVX. The best is to have a SVXer from the network go and check the car out for you. My 94 was a steal. I got it for 4800. It had 75k miles. Tranny died within 3 months and out of a year I owned, it was in the shop for 2 months.

I recently got a 92 to add on to my collection. 92 has been running great -- Tranny upgrade was done by the dealer and it has no cooler yet.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!