Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-22-2002, 12:03 PM
Boone

Tranny Wierdness..

Randy,
Do you have an update? Should I burn more candles? D.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Okay, here's the skinny. I went out to pull codes Saturday afternoon. I got a "normal" for current problems and "stored" codes for, not only solenoid C, but, solenoid B as well.

The funny thing about it is, my car seems to be running tighter than it ever has. It's accelerating better, it "feels" solid on the road and around the twisties. Even the exhaust buzz has almost disappeared.

Screw it! I'll ignore the flashing light and keep running 'til she grenades or something. She's just running too darned good for me to be without her.

One question. Would running her with all four wheels off the ground possibly trigger an erroneous trouble code? I'm going to remove my negative cable tonight to clear the codes and pray that I won't get them back.

Burn them candles Boone and pray that the codes were just a fluke.

Oh, and anyone living in my area can blame me for the rain over the weekend. I washed and waxed my car -- sure sign of rain.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Boone

[Would running her with all four wheels off the ground possibly trigger an erroneous trouble code?] I can't imagine that would generate a code. Mebbe code TU (shiny side down) Gotta go get more Dextron.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
[Would running her with all four wheels off the ground possibly trigger an erroneous trouble code?] I can't imagine that would generate a code. Mebbe code TU (shiny side down) Gotta go get more Dextron.

Oh well. I'm just grasping for anything that would say, "Everything's going to be alright. You don't need to take it in to a shop to have it looked at." But, then, what would life be like to have an SVX that runs perfectly for an extended period of time? Remember, I bought her in Aug of '99. My whole tranny saga began in March, 2000 and have seemed to churn up every six months or so since then. I guess I'll just learn to live with it.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2002, 12:08 PM

Registered SVX
Just to keep y'all informed: The car is acting as if 50/50 AWD is engaged at all times. Y'know, like when you're backing up, if feels like the e-brake is engaged.

I'm still getting trouble codes for B&C solenoids, although I get no power light flashes when I first start it up on the morning.

I dicided to do a little R&D and put my FWD fuse in to see what would happen. I did not get an FWD light on the dash, and, the feeling of 50/50 AWD was still there.

I'm frustrated. Of course, if it's just a solenoid pack swap, I might take it back to the tranny shop and tell them to do it, if I can bring the car in one morning and drive it out the same afternoon. I WILL NOT leave it at their shop any more.

Or, do I just drive it around 'til the transfer gears are toasted? AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Boone

Re: Re: Re: Wierdy Tranness

Randy, We know that duty C is transfer clutch but what about B? I'm suspicious about the fuse not putting you in FWD even if you do the 8's or go drive, park, reverse to "break " it loose.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:54 PM
Still a member

Send a message via ICQ to strange179 Send a message via AIM to strange179 Send a message via Yahoo to strange179
soleniods

Hi Randy,
I just read through this thread and I wanted to add my comments. First, Duty Solenoid "C" isn't in the solenoid pack with the other 3 solenoids. It's in the tail section of the transmission where the front/rear transfer clutch pack is. Second, It kinda sounds like the solenoid isn't releasing the way it should, as if it always had power to it. The FWD fuse stops power from going to that solenoid so if it is still binding the solenoid may be mechanically stuck open.
Good luck, I'll keep checking back here as often as I can.
Jay

Black '92 LSl 270Kmi 5MT (W00t! for 1/4 million on 4/27/07)
Laguna Blue '94 L about 130Kmi (I think) for parts, in storage
previous: Green '92 LSl 253Kmi 5MT (sold to ron post moose adventure, sold to someone else)
previous: Maroon '92 LSl 130Kmi +- (sold to Ron, mashed by moose, crushed)
Black '89 XT6 5spd AWD (storage)
Old 04-24-2002, 02:28 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Wierdy Tranness

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Randy, We know that duty C is transfer clutch but what about B? I'm suspicious about the fuse not putting you in FWD even if you do the 8's or go drive, park, reverse to "break " it loose.

I put the fuse in while the car was idling. Then, I took it around the parking lot. Couldn't do 8's, but, I pulled some tight turns.

I figured, maybe if I shut the car off, and re-start it, then, it'll kick into FWD. No dice. Did a few more tight turns, still no dice.

Jay, thanks for your response. We'll see what shakes out.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2002, 02:31 PM

Registered SVX
Re: soleniods

Quote:
Originally posted by strange179
Hi Randy,
I just read through this thread and I wanted to add my comments. First, Duty Solenoid "C" isn't in the solenoid pack with the other 3 solenoids. It's in the tail section of the transmission where the front/rear transfer clutch pack is. Second, It kinda sounds like the solenoid isn't releasing the way it should, as if it always had power to it. The FWD fuse stops power from going to that solenoid so if it is still binding the solenoid may be mechanically stuck open.
Good luck, I'll keep checking back here as often as I can.
Jay
Jay,
Apparently, it's realeasing when I turn the key off. Thus the experience I described in my first post in this thread. Hmmmm.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2002, 05:29 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: soleniods C.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Jay,
Apparently, it's realeasing when I turn the key off. Thus the experience I described in my first post in this thread. Hmmmm.
I'm back, thanks.

The C solenoid fails safe, in the full rear wheel drive mode.
B solenoid fails safe in no converter lock up mode.

Didn't they have trouble with the wiring differences when they tried to fit the new solenoid pack to the old legacy box.
May be a wiring problem. No power to them will produce your problems, as the fuse won't turn it off, seems like no connection, fault in the wiring ?.
watdeyah recon ?
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
[i]Or, do I just drive it around 'til the transfer gears are toasted? [/B]
I am sure you meant clutches, transfer clutches, there are no transfer gears. You will only wear out the cluthes sooner and then you have FWD. However if you can run thru a turn and it doesn't seem that bad maybe it's not binding real bad. Some other owners have had a lot of noise and sever binding when turning corners when the solenoid C wire has been cut.

Come on over and I'll measure the transfer pressure for you. That will tell the story. I got a 300 psi gauge, high pressure hose, 1/8' nipple and a street elbow modified to fit the case and an extra plug. Just in case the one that's in there gets lost in the unplugged zone No charge and immediate service once your car is here
Old 04-24-2002, 08:29 PM
$13000 and counting...

Send a message via AIM to Crusader Send a message via MSN to Crusader Send a message via Yahoo to Crusader
Hey guys, I don't know if anyone was paying attention or not, but I am the one who asked for the process of pulling/reading codes in another thread.... never got the codes out, but I am sure that it is a problem similar to the one discussed in this thread. The binding/grinding in tight, slow turns isn't too bad yet, so I'll ride it out for a while... whenever you get your problem figured out, tell me... I would like to know the processes involved and *sigh* how much it'll cost me.....
---MIKE---
Oh yeah and one more thing.... this never happend at all to me untill I had the (non-subaru) dealer replace my brake booster, so I'm suspecting that they may be the cause of my problem, possibly in wiring or something.... but I really don't know.....

Last edited by Crusader; 04-24-2002 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:24 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: soleniods C.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

I'm back, thanks.

The C solenoid fails safe, in the full rear wheel drive mode.
B solenoid fails safe in no converter lock up mode.

Didn't they have trouble with the wiring differences when they tried to fit the new solenoid pack to the old legacy box.
May be a wiring problem. No power to them will produce your problems, as the fuse won't turn it off, seems like no connection, fault in the wiring ?.
watdeyah recon ?
Harvey.
Harvey, your memory serves you correctly. They ordered a SVX solenoid array for the Legacy box. The Legacy packs are wired in series while the SVX packs are wired separately. They had to re-wire the SVX packs to fit the Legacy wiring.

Now, here's where it gets confusing. After the rebuild, they used the re-wired packs for the SVX transmission (I suppose they re-wired them). But, during my latest 30 day diagnostic ordeal, they supposedly put new solenoid packs in to test them. I don't know if they left the new ones in, or took them out and replaced them with the "rewired" ones. I'm going to call for clarification tomorrow.

I'm really getting tired of this.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2002, 11:27 PM

Registered SVX
Yes, John, I meant clutches. Cut me a break, it's been a rough day.

Maybe, If I have to drive up to pick up Kat's 94, I'll swing by Jersey and have you check things out.

And, don't worry. This oil plug ISN'T budging!!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2002, 11:59 PM

Registered SVX
Beav,
You're being awfully quiet. Do you have any insights? Do you guys take trannies apart at your shop?

I'm going to call to clarify the solenoid issue with the tranny shop tomorrow, and, depending upon the answers I get, I may end up in Tennesee. I can't stand this much longer.
Subaru Ambassador