Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 01-22-2007, 03:42 AM

What's the deal?

So, I'm new to the svx (just put 40 miles on my 'new' 92), but per this forum I'm gathering that most people are more concerned w/ need to put more time into keeping their cars running v/s hop'in em up. I thinking that if it's broke, then make it better, not just fix it. Are these things a money pit? Hope not.
So for a newb, what should I look to for upgrades. ECUTUNE? Exhaust? Other?
I've spent atleast 15 hours reading various threads, and just am looking for some good opinions. What has been the best 1K spent on your car?
thanks,
Shaun
Old 01-22-2007, 04:45 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
without a doubt the 5 speed. I paid 2200 for everything i needed and sold my auto for 1200 on ebay. I did the labor. and tomssvx made my pedals x-member and linkage.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 01-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
If you do not want the 5mt conversion... a little over 1k will get you the koni/gc coilover suspension, which was by far the BEST investment I put into my old 5mt. That coupled with a set of low profile 245's on a set of 18's will make it a handling monster

Tom
Old 01-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I would say look into.
ECUtune stage 1
SS brake lines
trany cooler
Old 01-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I might be biased but I would say buy the transmission rebuild kit I'm coming out with next week and a stag1v5. The stage 1v5 will improve accleration and power. The transmission rebuild kit will make your car last a lot longer, make it worth a lot more, and by way of decreasing the % of drivetrain loss make your car fastaar and improve fuel economy.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Best 1k$ spent? Peic a cake...A spare svx as a project car. Hell, then you dont need to de-commission your daily driver to make a faster car

Best 1,000$ would probly be tires. Doesnt matter what kind of suspension work you do, what kind of engien work, ect. If you're driving on bald h-rated al seasons, odds are you're not getting the proformance whee it's needed. That and itll make you spin the car around into trees and **** (Dont ask)
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to berger
dvd player was my best $1000 spent
Old 01-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Only thing I ever spent 1k on was a windshield, and boy did that suck. It was the last new windsheild available in the country so it's bronze, and doesn't match all the other blue windows.

As far as mods go, all of mine suck. I still maintain my car was much faster before I started screwing with it. The stage 1v4 is nice, but without power going to my rear tires (for whatever reason my AWD isn't working) I can't really utilize it. My fronts just spin all day. 1v5 is out or coming out and should be better so if you want cheap "gofast" I'd get that.

If everything works, good good wheels and tires are hands down the second best ting you can get. I wanna say the Konis are on top but I have never felt them. I can only imagine having better handling in this car. It would be really sweet.

If not everything works, fix it, unless it's the transmission or AWD system, then replace it with as you say something better. My tranny was rebuilt for $2500 after it broke but apparently that didn't include powering my rear wheels so, I intend to do an MT swap sometime down the line. I won't waste money making my AWD work before then.

ECUTune + koni/springs + sweet tires = aweSomeVX

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-22-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
We'll actually have the complete solution for a bad *ss 4eat soon. We figured out through bolting the transfer clutch drum to avoid your "what the h*ll I'm 2wd" issue a while ago. In another week we'll be carying a complete overhaul kit with graphite frictions in increased #'s and and the parts to mod the line pressure to prevent slippage. Things are looking pretty good for the 4eat.

We're on the dawn of the days when we'll be able to choose which ever trans we want because that's what we want not because that's what we think will continue to work. If you want a manual get a manual. If you want an auto build your auto.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
We'll actually have the complete solution for a bad *ss 4eat soon. We figured out through bolting the transfer clutch drum to avoid your "what the h*ll I'm 2wd" issue a while ago. In another week we'll be carying a complete overhaul kit with graphite frictions in increased #'s and and the parts to mod the line pressure to prevent slippage. Things are looking pretty good for the 4eat.

We're on the dawn of the days when we'll be able to choose which ever trans we want because that's what we want not because that's what we think will continue to work. If you want a manual get a manual. If you want an auto build your auto.
I would love to build and rebuild the auto. The only reasons I consider a manual for this car is the slight weight reduction which isn't too important, and the whp gain (oh and the easy diagnosis ).
Do you have a thread for the progress on this project or does it even need one? Got a ballpark for the cost?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-22-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:26 AM

I do need to fix the multiple problems first, but I want a plan of action for the upgrades. So after makeing the dual exhaust and fitting the trans remote filter, trans super cooler and AL pulley this up coming weekend, I have a power steering leak to deal with. Doing that will solve most of the cars major issues. I will have to do something about the random 'running like a 3cylinder SBC' thing as soon as it is less elusive.

But anyway I was thinking either 1) go fast : eek: (stage 2 to compliment the exhaust, and some sort of fresh air intake deal) or 2) handling (Koni and springs). Where do you get GC coils from? Are they made for our cars, or are they 'made to fit' our cars?

The trans, rad, brakes, ball joints, cam and crank seals, VCG's, tbelt, wpump and couple other little trouble spots have been replaced by dealer just a few thousand miles ago. So yeah, I'm keeping the slush box.
I do want wheels and tires, but that is more for the looks now.
S.S. lines? Really that high up on the list of mods, above good pads? I have noticed a lack of bite from these oem pads. Hmmm

BTW Tom, what wheel tire combo fit well as a 245/??/18. I was pricing out a 225/40/18 to stay under 1k, but would love the added grip a 245 could give me. And was that a foot control for a TIG I saw in one of your pics?
Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
I think the SVX is underpowered or over tyred, one or the other.

In other words it has plenty of grip, but not enough power to break traction and liven up the handling.

So in that respect, a change to 245s will give you more grip for sure. But the extra drag will bog down the car on dry tarmac, slow up your progress.

In the last year of sales, OEM tyres on the SVX dropped from 225 to 215.

Unless you really, really want the look of it, my advice is don't go for 245s unless you are at least thinking of supercharging your car.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-23-2007, 03:41 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
I think the SVX is underpowered or over tyred, one or the other.

In other words it has plenty of grip, but not enough power to break traction and liven up the handling.

Joe
Joe, the more grip the less fun.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Joe, the more grip the less fun.
I'm glad somebody agrees with me!

Down through the years I have always found you can have more fun with a car as the tyres near the end of their life.

In the wet, of course, you could be nearing the end of yours!!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I am pretty sure they are 245/35/r18...

And yes... I have a tig machine at my folks' house... why?

Tom