Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Fixing an SVX rim that is not round, fixing a bent SVX rim, straightening an SVX rim.

Fixing an SVX rim that is not round, fixing a bent SVX rim, straightening an SVX rim. DIY

Well this is really making a rim round that has gotten to be out-of-round from running into pot holes or perhaps fallen tree logs, sumps or rocks if you take the SVX off road.

I have a way to fix an SVX rim and make it round. There two pictures are in my locker that show the basic idea. I made up some parts and bought some things to do this. I have a used wheel hub assembly (WHA), brake disk and lug nuts. I also use a dial indicator and hydraulic ram.

The WHA is mounted to the rim with the brake disk and lug nuts, torqued and then turned over. The magnetic base of the indicator is attached to the WHA and the needle on the indicator is set to zero and the WHA is spun around on the wheel. The needle in the dial reads high and low spots as the WHA is spun around and after a few complete turns the lowest sections are found and marked.

Then I set-up a hydraulic ram inside the rim as shown in the picture, the ram is set to push the section of the rim that has been pushed in from running into the pothole. The indicator is set as close to the end of the ram as possible to measure the deflection of the rim under the load from the ram. The hydraulic pressure is applied using the hand jack (not shown in the picture) and the movement of the indicator is recorded.

I go slow, make a few pumps watch the needle move on the indicator, relieve the pressure and see if the reading comes back to zero or if the rim has moved. I keep applying a higher load each time working up in steps until rim moves as shown by the no load position on the indicator. The change in the no-load reading is how much the rim has moved. Then I take out the ram and check the TIR on the rim again just to make sure things are moving in the right direction.

I have straightened out well no, actually straightening is not the right words, I have made eight rims “round” now within specifications limits. J Four have been on SVX for a year and the other two I want to get on this summer.

I got the indicator from Harbor Freight for about $20 and the hydraulic ram from Northern Hydraulics for about $110. It is sold as a tool for bodywork. You will notice some “custom” parts at the ram base made out of wood. There are two pieces two inches (1.5”) thick each, one behind the other. This wood at the base of the ram, I cut out on a band saw to fit the curve and angle of the SVX rim and to give the base a flat platform to push against. This is required to distribute the hydraulic ram load over the rim section that is NOT to be straightened.

The rim that was the worse had to moved .09” and that went well. It’s down at .02” now. The rest of the rim also checked out fine. I did not find any out-of-round or out of flat on the other bead closest to the mounting side. That appears to stand-up quite well to pot holes.

I am glad it worked out.J

Take care too,
John
Old 07-01-2006, 10:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
hummm its usually not a good idea to bend aluminum rims they break easily....
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 07-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
They break easily when smacked with a hammer or pried with a wrench. How do you suppose wheel-straightening shops perform their magic? Of course there are limits to everything, even the pros can't straighten them all - unless you want a cut and welded Frankenwheel.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
oooh god i have delt with sooo many welded 22+" rims they blance but im the only one in the shop that can do it... they are a pain i think the welds in them throw the weight off alot
need work done? Have tools will travel