How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-01-2002, 04:37 PM
uconnscott

Seat belt motor broken

Last night my seat-belt (the shoulder belt) wouldn't move down when I shut the door. I went to the dealer today and got bad news. He said some "swicth and/or motor need to be replaced". He said the part was over $100 and with labor the total would be about $320!!

I think that sounds high. Thankfully for $35 they manually lowered the belt (with an allen wrench they said) to the down position where it now stays so I can at least drive safely. However, when I started up the car the seat-belt light now flahes non-stop. It is driving me crazy.

I wonder if anybody else has had this problem, and if I can go to another person than the dealer for cheaper, or any other suggestions. I apprecitate it as always!
Old 03-01-2002, 09:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
http://www.svxparts.com/diag/?model=...category=645-B

labor to replace the motor is 1.4 hours.

You could always pull the bulb out.

Beav
Old 03-02-2002, 10:31 AM
uconnscott

thanks

Thanks for the link. It looks like the motor is in fact over $100. They (the subaru dealer) quoted labor at 3 hours. This seems like WAY too much. Could you tell me how you came up with the 1.4 figure. If I could go in with some evidence I may be able to talk him down. Thanks again!!
Old 03-02-2002, 02:35 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Labor . SkillLevel . Warr. . Std.

Seat Belt Motor .
Replace

Motor Assembly . B . 1.0 . 1.4
Straight from the book - Alldata

Of course there is more than one labor book, however most are within a couple 'points' of each other. Plus nobody said you couldn't charge more, the book is just a guideline (read: competetive.)

Beav
Old 03-02-2002, 03:22 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The drivers side seatbelt stopped working in my wife's svx one day. I took the thing apart, wiggled wires, but couldn't find anything loose. On eddycat's advice I disconnected the battery overnight. The seatbelt worked the next morning.
Check this thread out as well.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...light=seatbelt
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:19 PM
uconnscott

Angry $1100 seatbelt!!

Just to follow up my driver-side broken seat belt issue......The dealer quoted replacing the moter, with parts and labor at $1105!!!!!!.................11 hundred and 5 freaking dollars!

I guess now I just have to find out who will shut the damn blinking seatbelt light off for me (the dealer said they aren't allowed). How frustrating.