How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Getting the arms off the rear hub.

I need to replace the rear bearing. Got everything off the p.side but can't get the bolt of the trailing arm and can't get the huge bolt out of the two lateral? arms. Need to get it up and running tomorrow as the 6 took a crap on the highway tonight while taking the kid for a late night sleepy time ride. I think one of the t-belts took life off at all of 45k
Old 07-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Green1995SVX

Hey Ben-

I've always just soaked everything well with PB Blaster and then used a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a long pipe on the end. Works every time for me.

Mike
Old 07-05-2005, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX
Hey Ben-

I've always just soaked everything well with PB Blaster and then used a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a long pipe on the end. Works every time for me.

Mike

Glad to see someone else is awake. I need much more than this. The hub side the only thing I can get on it is a open ended wrench. The other side won't move (or just moves the rubber bushing enough that it won't get enough tension. The nut is off the laterals but I cant get the stinking 12 inch bolt to move. Soaked everything in PB for a week or so now.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 AM

So nobody has a clue how to get the trailing link bolt and nut loose and out or the bolt for the lateral arms out? I need to know today as the 6 will not be running anytime soon so I need a baby transport. The whole breaker bar thing just won't work with the lateral arm bolt. It isn't like this car has ever been apart back there so it wasn't reinstalled loosely by a ignorant mechanic. The bolt and nut on the lateral arm is actually starting to deshape from the pressure I'm putting on 'em.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 AM

I had to saw it off!!!

I had to saw the long bolt off it was so corroded. It just started turning the rubber bushing and would not break loose no matter how long the breaker bar. You should be able to put a closed ended wrench on the short trailing arm bolt and a socket with breaker bar on the other side.
Be sure to disconnect the abs sensor from under the rear seat instead of trying to remove it while hub is still on the car. It will be much easier and cheaper (easy to damage) to do with the hub off. Use a chisel under the sides of it. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxstarship
I had to saw the long bolt off it was so corroded. It just started turning the rubber bushing and would not break loose no matter how long the breaker bar. You should be able to put a closed ended wrench on the short trailing arm bolt and a socket with breaker bar on the other side.
Be sure to disconnect the abs sensor from under the rear seat instead of trying to remove it while hub is still on the car. It will be much easier and cheaper (easy to damage) to do with the hub off. Use a chisel under the sides of it. Good luck.
Already said the closed end wrench won't work. Even with a 3 foot pipe on the end of it. The bolt is actually giving rather than braeaking. ABS sensor wasn't a huge deal came fairly easily after turning it with the back. It literly is 2 bolts. 1st person to come get it out and replace the bearing gets $200!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I had the same problem. Here's what I did.

Unbolt the lateral links from the subframe. Unbolt hub from strut, remove axle nut, bring the whole crap to a nice open place to work on it.

Using a torch, heat the lateral link inner metal bushing on the nut side of the long bolt. The bushing will burn, stink, alert the fire dept, etc. While doing so, knock the bolt out with a hammer. Obviously use a nut and an impact socket to protect the bolt. The bolt and head side lateral link will come out as one unit.

Then I used a wire wheel to clean up the rust flakes from the bolt and used the torch and a pickle fork to seperate the bolt from the remaining lateral link.

The lateral link bushings are identical on the hub end (20252PA000), different for the sub frame end (20251PA010 for the front - Violet stripe and 20251AA021 for the rear - Brown stripe).

2 20252PA000 Pillow Ball Bush $29.65 Ea.
1 20251PA010 Bushing Lateral Link $9.97 Ea.
1 20251AA021 Bushing Lateral Link $8.06Ea.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-05-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
I had the same problem. Here's what I did.

Unbolt the lateral links from the subframe. Unbolt hub from strut, remove axle nut, bring the whole crap to a nice open place to work on it.

Using a torch, heat the lateral link inner metal bushing on the nut side of the long bolt. The bushing will burn, stink, alert the fire dept, etc. While doing so, knock the bolt out with a hammer. Obviously use a nut and an impact socket to protect the bolt. The bolt and head side lateral link will come out as one unit.

Then I used a wire wheel to clean up the rust flakes from the bolt and used the torch and a pickle fork to seperate the bolt from the remaining lateral link.

The lateral link bushings are identical on the hub end (20252PA000), different for the sub frame end (20251PA010 for the front - Violet stripe and 20251AA021 for the rear - Brown stripe).

2 20252PA000 Pillow Ball Bush $29.65 Ea.
1 20251PA010 Bushing Lateral Link $9.97 Ea.
1 20251AA021 Bushing Lateral Link $8.06Ea.

Doug
Defiantely not worth it to me. Who's the idiot who designed the crap to seize? Why would you need to take it all off can't you just press a new one in there and leave it?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
So just drive the little one around in the race car (she's already in diapers, so there's no problem with running R-Comps)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Northern Car

Blame it on a rusty northern car and not the designer. I have had no problems with mine.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
not sure what to tell you but i think I know someone who can help... here is their # 717-569-4514 and ask for service..

Seriously though....if you need a press you know how to find me...I can help with that aspect of it.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
We used heat to get mine off as well (we were changing the bushing so that part didn't matter).
Old 07-05-2005, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Blame it on a rusty northern car and not the designer. I have had no problems with mine.

Lee

Ah but its a garage queen who doesn't venture out in the winter much, summer either for that matter. The fact that they are original is probably what is kiling it!
Old 07-05-2005, 07:30 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
bob,
im having the same problem you are as of now. I got the big long bolt out but cant get the lower control arm bolt off. I was wondering if you could give me a little bit more info as to how to get the abs sensor off. I dont want to hurt it in the process. Also, the ebrake looks like its gonna be fun to put back together as well.
phil
Old 07-05-2005, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
bob,
im having the same problem you are as of now. I got the big long bolt out but cant get the lower control arm bolt off. I was wondering if you could give me a little bit more info as to how to get the abs sensor off. I dont want to hurt it in the process. Also, the ebrake looks like its gonna be fun to put back together as well.
phil

Yeah, my e brake kinda came apart too quickly to pay attention to where the weird parts go. As for the abs sensor I soaked it a day or so with pb blaster then first I used a punch to wack the mounting bracket around (then a screw driver to move it back). Did this a few times then used the punch very lightly on the shiney sides to slowly work it out. Did that only after trying to then pry it out with a small pry bar from the back only to have the bracket bend.