Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 07-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
Looked back at your original post and the fact that you're running tires with a treadwear rating of 200 explains a lot -- they are pretty "sticky" for street tires! Looks like SCCA is actually going to raise the treadwear requirement on their "street tire" class to 140 (or is it 160?) for next year. The Azenis that most folks are running this year have a treadwear rating of 120. If I remember right, the Yokohama ES100s I'm running on the street have a rating of 300 - not exactly as sticky as my race Hoosiers with their rating of 40
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Actually, I think the original Azenis were 180 (which translates into about 10k). Granted I think Chike has single A traction and temp ratings rather than the double A that most race and ultra high performance tires have but it still is much more than the OEM tire by far.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Actually, I think the original Azenis were 180 (which translates into about 10k). Granted I think Chike has single A traction and temp ratings rather than the double A that most race and ultra high performance tires have but it still is much more than the OEM tire by far.
Correct Ben - my Dunlop's have a single 'A' rating for traction and temperature. I actually think the 295/45 Goodyear F1 supercar tires on my former SVT Lightning had a double 'AA' rating for traction.

However, the treadwear rating of 200 does explain a good deal as to why my car sticks to the road like glue when the g-loads climb.

I really love the Dunlop SP Sport 8000's and I can get them for pretty cheap as they're the previous model from Dunlop in their line of max performance summer tires (current model is the SP Sport 9000). The tirerack actually rates the 8000's higher than the newer 9000's...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/sp9000_rd.jsp

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-04-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
the bigest diference between the f355 and the svx was body roll. you can really feel that the svx wants to andle better but when the 3500lbs body starts to lean the tires follow suite. i think harder springs and some nice "low pro" tires with thick side walls will help out. personaly i wouldnt lower the car because it will f up the geometry of the suspension.
I can see that. The SVX is definitely very hefty, and the chassis always seems to take a 'set' just a few ticks behind the suspension. That's why weight reduction is so important in these cars if you have intentions to race...

Mychailo can make custom springs which won't lower the ride height, and stiffen up the spring rates. I can wait to install them when I get the extra money this Xmas!

-Chike

P.S. To answer your other question - if money isn't a factor, the best wet/dry tire out there IMHO is the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 pole position. They cost just a hair over $200 each but grip like no other in the wet or dry!

Old 07-04-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd

P.S. To answer your other question - if money isn't a factor, the best wet/dry tire out there IMHO is the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 pole position. They cost just a hair over $200 each but grip like no other in the wet or dry!
We need to get you on a set of R compounds. Just wear a diaper! Actually I'd say your best bet now for non R compounds I'd go with the new Azenis. Should cost about $100 or so per tire. Granted you'll only get about 10k out of them but I'm guessing that's what will go on mine next.

As for lowering. No messing up geometrics so long as you do it right. You can actually use it to your advantage with camber that Subies shouldn't have!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
We need to get you on a set of R compounds. Just wear a diaper! Actually I'd say your best bet now for non R compounds I'd go with the new Azenis. Should cost about $100 or so per tire. Granted you'll only get about 10k out of them but I'm guessing that's what will go on mine next.

As for lowering. No messing up geometrics so long as you do it right. You can actually use it to your advantage with camber that Subies shouldn't have!
Ben,
You going to shave down (5/32) a set of 615s?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-04-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Ben,
You going to shave down (5/32) a set of 615s?
-Bill
Naw, I was talking about my street car that is currently sitting on half rotten A540s with more than enough life left in 'em aside from the cracks. Might as well pay less per tire, get more out of 'em performance wise and actually get rid of tires that should be thrown out.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:59 AM
ThetaReactor

Quote:
Correct Ben - my Dunlop's have a single 'A' rating for traction and temperature. I actually think the 295/45 Goodyear F1 supercar tires on my former SVT Lightning had a double 'AA' rating for traction.

However, the treadwear rating of 200 does explain a good deal as to why my car sticks to the road like glue when the g-loads climb.

I really love the Dunlop SP Sport 8000's and I can get them for pretty cheap as they're the previous model from Dunlop in their line of max performance summer tires (current model is the SP Sport 9000). The tirerack actually rates the 8000's higher than the newer 9000's...

-Chike
How does that work? I'd imagine a lower treadwear rating [sticky] would generally indicate a better traction rating. My tires are AA rated for traction, but they're 280 treadwear.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaReactor
How does that work? I'd imagine a lower treadwear rating [sticky] would generally indicate a better traction rating. My tires are AA rated for traction, but they're 280 treadwear.

Each manufacture rates their own BUT they must put a rating on it. Hence Bridgestone may say blank tire has a rating of 400 for a 40k tire where Dunlop might rate theirs at 380 for a 50k tire. In other words they don't mean much except for generalization. Of course SVXride's Hoosiers with a 40 rating aren't gonna live as long as a 400 rated tire from anybody. The traction and temp ratings though to my knowledge are universal.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:43 AM
ThetaReactor

So Kumho is just being very generous in estimating the life expectancy of my rubber...
Old 07-05-2005, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaReactor
So Kumho is just being very generous in estimating the life expectancy of my rubber...
Not necessarly, 280 IMO would be good for about 15-20k. The double AA is what I'd look for in both temp and traction. If just in traction you'll definately cook your tires at an autox in 90 degree weather after the 2nd hard run. Just fine for the street but not ideal on a track. I think the Potenza RE-92s I had on my Impreza from new had a rating of like 380 and I got 60k even out of them!
Old 07-05-2005, 02:24 AM
ThetaReactor

These tires were a compromise, anyhow. They're quieter, wear better, and handle the rain better than the super-sticky Yokohamas I did have. And they were about $100 cheaper [each] than the BF Goodrich KDW 2s that I'd been considering. I'm not racing anytime soon, so I'm quite happy to emphasize the "touring" bits of the car.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Each manufacture rates their own BUT they must put a rating on it. Hence Bridgestone may say blank tire has a rating of 400 for a 40k tire where Dunlop might rate theirs at 380 for a 50k tire. In other words they don't mean much except for generalization. Of course SVXride's Hoosiers with a 40 rating aren't gonna live as long as a 400 rated tire from anybody. The traction and temp ratings though to my knowledge are universal.
Ben,

I'm wondering if the traction and temp ratings are relative as well??? In the Tirerack test I linked higher-up on this page:

They compare the new Dunlop SP Sport 9000's to the previous SP Sport 8000's. The new 9000's have a treadwear of 280 and double 'AA' rating for traction - while the 8000's have a treadwear of 200 and a single 'A' rating for traction.

In their testing, the 8000's got better ratings in every handling/braking test they did, with the 9000's only shining in road comfort/noise level...

They also noted about the 8000's: "We have recommended the SP Sport 8000 for drivers who have the need of a dual purpose street and driver's school track tire. While it can't match the lap times of today's DOT-Legal competition tires, it provides a lot of performance and durability."

I find it hard to believe that the SP Sport 8000 would get their recommendation as a good street/track tire, if the single 'A' rating for traction & temp caused the tires to be cooked after a few hot laps on a summer day???

-Chike

Old 07-06-2005, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Ben,

I'm wondering if the traction and temp ratings are relative as well??? In the Tirerack test I linked higher-up on this page:

They compare the new Dunlop SP Sport 9000's to the previous SP Sport 8000's. The new 9000's have a treadwear of 280 and double 'AA' rating for traction - while the 8000's have a treadwear of 200 and a single 'A' rating for traction.

In their testing, the 8000's got better ratings in every handling/braking test they did, with the 9000's only shining in road comfort/noise level...

They also noted about the 8000's: "We have recommended the SP Sport 8000 for drivers who have the need of a dual purpose street and driver's school track tire. While it can't match the lap times of today's DOT-Legal competition tires, it provides a lot of performance and durability."

I find it hard to believe that the SP Sport 8000 would get their recommendation as a good street/track tire, if the single 'A' rating for traction & temp caused the tires to be cooked after a few hot laps on a summer day???

-Chike

To my knowledge they are based on Gov't standards. What those standard are I don't know. Typically a AA tire will overheat heat up as fast but then each manufacture uses different compounds (like an autox and road racing compound for instance). As for the 8000 being a better tire. That may be. Look at the Yoko A540 vs the 550. The A540 is a much better tire then the 550 ever could be. It was also about a 1/3 pricier. Just because one is a replacement doesn't make it better. Just different and if it corner's a market or gets enough sales from the previous tire then the bean counters are happy. Personally, I don't see the need for a AA tire for the street in most cases but its like faulting someone from buying top of the line Michelin's for $200 when they could've put 3 Sumitomo's on for that price.
As for cooking tires. I'll cook anyone's tires in a lap or two on a warm day. Just give me the chance!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 09:34 AM
ilsegretosvx

I have the 8000s on stock rims and would buy them again. Flip side not much experience in the wet, I'm in California