Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 06-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Post My new exhaust system!

Big thanks to Svxfiles for his help and Green_eyed_lady for her hospitality. Spent the weekend with Tom, installing the parts for my new exhaust system.

All that is left from my old exhaust are the Magnaflow muffler and tips. My new set-up was centered around a 2-into-1 high-flow Magnaflow cat (part # 94037) I purchased from performancepeddler.com for $60.77 shipped to my door!

I'll post pics of the final set-up by next Saturday, as I have everything held together by clamps at this point (will have it welded next Saturday).

My new exhaust lay-out is as follows:

1. From stock headers back to the pair of front O2 sensors is the stock exhaust pipe (removed heat shields - will eventually wrap in some insulating exhaust wrap from Summit).

2. Directly behind the two O2 sensors, is 2" O.D. (1 7/8" I.D.) pipe that goes straight back past the trans and then makes a bend into the area where the stock secondary cat resides.

3. Two pipes go into the Magnaflow 2-into-1 high-flow cat (2" dual inlets, 2.5" single outlet). This particular high-flow cat comes with a bung to accept the OBDII third O2 sensor.

4. 2.5" pipe then goes back to the Magnaflow muffler and tips.

The current sound is great but a bit raspy due to a few small exhaust leaks. Around 2000-2500 rpms is does get a little blarish, but within a week, when I get the pipes welded, I also have a high flow 2.5" resonator installed as well.(after which I'll take the final pics!)

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
Nice system! Sounds exactly like mine - except I've got a MagnaFlow "Y" that feeds into their highflow 2.5 in/out Cat and I've got the stock muffler along with Dayle's 2.5 in/out resonator. No resonance issues at all!! Pics in my locker in the "Exhaust Manifold" folder.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-13-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
Nice system! Sounds exactly like mine - except I've got a MagnaFlow "Y" that feeds into their highflow 2.5 in/out Cat and I've got the stock muffler along with Dayle's 2.5 in/out resonator. No resonance issues at all!! Pics in my locker in the "Exhaust Manifold" folder.
-Bill
Brilliant minds think alike Bill!

I forgot to mention, that without a resonator/glasspack in place, when I'm cruising the interstate at 70mph, let off the gas and get back on it again, I can hear unburnt fuel in my pipes exploding! I'll have to get someone to follow me around at night to see if I'm shooting out flames or not!

-Chike

Old 06-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Brilliant minds think alike Bill!

I forgot to mention, that without a resonator/glasspack in place, when I'm cruising the interstate at 70mph, let off the gas and get back on it again, I can hear unburnt fuel in my pipes exploding! I'll have to get someone to follow me around at night to see if I'm shooting out flames or not!

-Chike
Won't that ruin your cats or is it happening further back?

Or did I just hear that somewhere and believe it?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Won't that ruin your cats or is it happening further back?
Don't know, and don't really care. I only have one cat on my car right now which cost me $60 - i.e. cheap to replace.

Honestly though, I think little 'explosions'/ 'backfires' happen all the time in most exhaust systems - the two primary cats, secondary cat, resonator and muffler in the stock SVX exhaust just cancel out the noise so you don't hear it.

-Chike

P.S. I got an appointment at the muffler place tomorrow afternoon at 5pm. I should have some pics up by Tuesday evening. The 2.5" in/out glasspack should get rid of the raspy edge in my exhaust note, and cancel out the backfires.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
when I'm cruising the interstate at 70mph, let off the gas and get back on it again, I can hear unburnt fuel in my pipes exploding!
The Stebro does this too.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:28 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Don't know, and don't really care. I only have one cat on my car right now which cost me $60 - i.e. cheap to replace.

Honestly though, I think little 'explosions'/ 'backfires' happen all the time in most exhaust systems - the two primary cats, secondary cat, resonator and muffler in the stock SVX exhaust just cancel out the noise so you don't hear it.

-Chike

P.S. I got an appointment at the muffler place tomorrow afternoon at 5pm. I should have some pics up by Tuesday evening. The 2.5" in/out glasspack should get rid of the raspy edge in my exhaust note, and cancel out the backfires.
I have/had a resonatorless Magnaflow system on my SVX. When I had a leaking cat flange repaired I had the shop add a reversed glasspack to act as a resonator. I was told it would not effect the sound at all but I find that it was a huge mistake. I had no resonation issue before that and the best sounding exaust i have ever heard on an SVX lost it's punch. One of these weekends the hack saw is coming out and I will be putting a length of straight pipe where the glasspack is. Don't do it, Chike.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:58 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarJohnny
I have/had a resonatorless Magnaflow system on my SVX. When I had a leaking cat flange repaired I had the shop add a reversed glasspack to act as a resonator. I was told it would not effect the sound at all but I find that it was a huge mistake. I had no resonation issue before that and the best sounding exaust i have ever heard on an SVX lost it's punch. One of these weekends the hack saw is coming out and I will be putting a length of straight pipe where the glasspack is. Don't do it, Chike.

Johnny
Bill also has a louvered glasspack after the cat in his system, but he gets no resonance. I'm wondering if his has the louvers pointing towards the rear rather than the front.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Bill also has a louvered glasspack after the cat in his system, but he gets no resonance. I'm wondering if his has the louvers pointing towards the rear rather than the front.
Mine is currently reversed as well so that it acts like a resonator more than a muffler but it definitely cut the balls off the exaust note.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:29 PM
no limitation as limitation

if i do an exaust it will be a muffler bypass.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarJohnny

Johnny
I'm confused. Are you getting a ton of resonation right now with a very dull sound? If you had installed the glasspack in the correct direction, would the sound and exhaust flow be much different?

Right now my exhaust is much louder than I'd like. I seriously doubt the glasspack will affect my exhaust flow much, and I'd really like to quiet down my exhaust from the level it is at right now...

-Chike

Old 06-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
I'm running one of Dayle's high flow resonators - 2.5 inlet and outlet. I'm guessing anything you can find similar to it will quiet things down just right
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-13-2005, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Chike,
I'm running one of Dayle's high flow resonators - 2.5 inlet and outlet. I'm guessing anything you can find similar to it will quiet things down just right
-Bill
I can't use one of Dayle's resonators, as this exhaust shop will only install their parts. I'm going with the glasspack, as it shouldn't affect flow and will quiet things down a bunch...

-Chike

Old 06-13-2005, 08:52 PM
no limitation as limitation

Quote:
I can't use one of Dayle's resonators, as this exhaust shop will only install their parts. I'm going with the glasspack, as it shouldn't affect flow and will quiet things down a bunch...

-Chike

yeah but who wants a quiet svx

a loud car prevents me from having stupid conversations about makeup and fluffy dogs with the ditzy girls i entertain.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:27 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Chike,
-Bill
Aren't those louvered? If so, its not high flow compared to a perforated tube resonator, say, from Magnaflow.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.