Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 04:13 PM

Don't know how to find the how to folder, but reaper's site has a pdf file on A/C that shows info and an exploded diagram of the expansion valve (inside under the dash).

http://reaper450128.homeftp.net/servicecd.htm

One thing not mentioned (that I saw anyway) was that the system has to be evacuated using a vacuum pump before the drier is installed and the freon put back in...maybe you already knew that, just making sure.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:22 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
One thing not mentioned (that I saw anyway) was that the system has to be evacuated using a vacuum pump before the drier is installed and the freon put back in...maybe you already knew that, just making sure.
Ok thats what i thought. Thanks for the help. i'll get it evacuated tomorrow then bring it home and install the drier and valve then take it back up to get it recharged.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How-to folder is on the top of every page here.

The article is hopefully also in the SVXipedia on http://svx-iw.com/
Old 06-14-2005, 04:54 PM
You're mine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
How-to folder is on the top of every page here.

The article is hopefully also in the SVXipedia on http://svx-iw.com/
ooohhh thanks alot!!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_4187
Ok thats what i thought. Thanks for the help. i'll get it evacuated tomorrow then bring it home and install the drier and valve then take it back up to get it recharged.
flush the system if the compressor failed, then install the drier and valve, then get it evacuated - it removes air & moisture during the evacuation process to give the drier a running start.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:24 PM
You're mine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
flush the system if the compressor failed, then install the drier and valve, then get it evacuated - it removes air & moisture during the evacuation process to give the drier a running start.
The compressor didnt fail, it just freezes every 20 seconds or so. Can i flush it myself or do i need a shop to do that? Thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
There's a reason for that and it's not because of the drier or expansion valve.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_4187
The compressor didnt fail, it just freezes every 20 seconds or so.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:56 PM
You're mine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
There's a reason for that and it's not because of the drier or expansion valve.

KuoH

Oh, i see. The shop i took it to didnt say anything about it so i figured it was doing that because of the drier or valve. They said something about it needing to go to the dealer because it wasnt blowing right but they didnt say anything about the compressor. The only problem is there arent too many subaru dealers in FL.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
As memory serves, I paid my guys under $50 for a new filter/dryer when they switched my car to 134a. The part came from NAPA.

dcb
So much for my memory. For the record, I checked the receipt: Paid $84 for the filter/dryer and $26 for "R134, fittings, etc." The labor total for performing the A/C upgrade AND replacing a rear wheel bearing was $225.

Rob, if I were you I'd try look for another shop, tell (or show) them what the compressor's doing and what you've done, and see what they say. This may be an instance where you need the services of a hands-on pro. You don't necessarily have to take the car to a dealership, either, just a competent mechanic.

dcb
Old 06-17-2005, 01:03 PM
You're mine!!

Ok so now i come to find that there are no shops that have the equiptment to flush my system but the guy at firestone told me that if i unscrewed the drier/reviever it would all come out and that would flush it. I dont really see how that could flush the whole system. He said to do that then put a couple ounces of oil in the drier and it would be good to go. Is this a good solution or does anyone know of a better way?