How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-06-2005, 02:34 AM

Exclamation Bad Naughty SVX 120 miles to tank

Hi i am a newby to site and have a 1993 SVX with 120000miles [200000klms]
I have done all the usual SVX things new g/box,radiator,discs etc etc but i am now getting this redicules fuel economy. The only authorised SVX dealer in South Oz [australia] is not so good and my local mechanic who is good but doesnt have the computer to read my cars codes tells me that it is running the right 02 read outs at exhaust but maybe a fraction rich at above 4000rpm a place i rarily get to [bugga] has anyone had these problems and if so what did they do to fix it is getting expensive filling this car with premium 2 plus times a week. I lied about newby i have been reading the forum for a year but not posted as the answers usually stacked up but i havnt found much related to this one yet.

Last edited by down under; 06-06-2005 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:16 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Is the low fuel light coming on? Or are you running the car out of gas until it stalls?.......These cars are known for a misleading gas level indicator. My car appears at the "E" level around 250 miles from the tank but I've never run my car until it ran out of gas or until the light came on. From what I hear, the tank can still get about 100 miles or more even though the needle doesn't show it. What I suggest is to have some extra gas with you and see how far you can actually go before you really run out of gas. I am eventually going to do the same thing because I do not like filling the tank up as frequently as I do now.

Also check to see how much gas you are putting in the tank at the gas station. If you only put in 5 gallons and the needle goes from E to F, then obviously you can drive much more because our tanks hold more than that. Not sure what the size our tanks can hold........12 to 15 gallons??
Old 06-06-2005, 04:30 AM

naughty bad svx

I have had car for a year and what i am talking about is the distance travelled on the same amount of fuel we use litres and klms here so i kept it simple as even though i am old enough to remeber miles and gallons i am not smart enough to be able to convert accurately. I used to get 400 klms from the same amount of litres put in tank that i now get 200 klms from not good!!!!! I dont trust the fuel gauge or temp gauge but i have kept a log of the fuel usage .
Old 06-06-2005, 09:58 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
You haven't said if you ran out of gas or the light came on to tell you how low you actually are.
It's very possible your fuel level indicator inside the gas tank has gone bad or something. My legacy has the same problem and the needle will go to E immediately after I fill the tank.......and then the needle will gradually rise as I drive but then drop again for awhile.........strange
Old 06-06-2005, 10:06 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
Not sure what the size our tanks can hold........12 to 15 gallons??

You must not run your tank all the way down and then fill it.....our tanks hold more than 18 gallons

Dave
Old 06-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
SVX Fuel Tank:
70L = 18.5USGal = 15.4ImpGal
Old 06-06-2005, 06:17 PM

no i havnt run it out of fuel and no lights have come on i am talking about getting 200klms [120 miles] from 60litres of fuel not a good result.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by down under
no i havnt run it out of fuel and no lights have come on i am talking about getting 200klms [120 miles] from 60litres of fuel not a good result.
Gid'ay, another Ozzie out of the closet.
That pretty low, I get 700k per 70Lt tank, 10Lt/100k, don't live in the city. You can pull the codes, under the right side kick panel, under the fuse box. The main problems that cause high consumption are O2 sensors, and the temp sensor. After 200,000k it would be prudent to fit a full set of sensors, that age with time.
1. the two O2 sensors.
2, the Temp sensor.
3. the magnetic pick-ups on the crank and cam sensors.

These bits will detorate with age, so you might as well do them now, as when they go one after another.

All the best,
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:31 PM

Talking

I have booked it in to the dodgy dealer here and will get them to replace them as you are probably right last time they told me that there where no codes showing but i think they didnt look. I did a trip to Alice Springs and had a lot of overheating on way up replaced water pump there amd timing belt on way back wheel bearings seized so rest of trip on truck. Probably i have cooked sensors anyway. I would be in love again if i could get anything over 400klms per 70litres let alone 700klms. I think i bought a well thrashed version and am paying the price now. starter motor, g/box, radiator, wheel bearings, disc rotors, free play in drive shaft etc etc but i will not be beaten i hope. Love the car hate the problems and the effect on my bank balance. Not like my old 92 Liberty other than clutchs and air suspension breakages [pays not to tow 1.5tonne boat] it was a gem and my mate still thinks he got a bargain [bugga]