97 red beginning of mods
Old 01-16-2005, 01:15 AM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by KCROGUEDOG
Hey Im in Alaska right now and should be leaving to go back to KC in august. Driving Heh Heh. I think it would be a very good spot. Ive lived there 20 years and for windy road you don't need to go to Branson. Just on the outer edges of the city we got tons of lake roads and well built curving back roads. Fun for drinking. So Ive heard
OMG, that brings back memories.....
<-------- KC native.....

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 01-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: My $ .02

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
Would work best for scheduling purposes during summer (kids out of school, no college, etc.) Late June-August.

Then, if summer months were agreed best, the location choice should take into account weather in those months. If some places are miserable at that time, that is a valid concern (I didn't make the 10th Anniversary, but understand there were some complaints about heat?).

Beyond climate, the location should have some general appeal. The type of place a family would probably be willing to drive halfway across the country for just on a normal roadtrip vacation, event or not. Of course anywhere you have to travel some distance to, you can find lots of good roadtrip attractions along the way (as I'm sure many did going to Lafayette, which by itself doesn't sound that exciting). The thrill is in the journey so to speak. But still, if the meet location itself has some great scenic appeal, tourist attractions, recreation, etc, I think it would be that much more interesting, and an easier sell for people with spouses and/or families.

Definitely a good thing to start the planning now for an event of this (hopefully) size. The key to attendance will be to establish that it is going to be something big - THE one event of 2007 that every SVXer worth his or her salt needs to be at no matter how far you have to travel. Plan early, plan big, and have people commit to coming.
I agree totally with everything MacGyver said; a central location, preferably with tolerable weather in mid-summer and other local attractions so that those of us who will be making this a "family vacation" can appease those family members to whom driving 15-20 hours to meet up with other SVX owners (regardless of how "special" the occasion) does not sound like a good time. Svxfiles and I have 2 teen-age boys, and getting them to go to Reading for a weekend is difficult enough.

However, having lived my entire life east of the Ohio River, I know next to nothing about the central part of the country. We need some input from those SVXers who actually live there.

Anyone with ideas or suggestions, feel free to jump in and give us the benefit of your knowledge and experience. This forum can serve as a "brainstorming" session until we come up with enough ideas to vote on.

I would be happy to help with anything, as long as it can be done "remotely", via phone, fax, computer, etc. I'm looking forward to breaking some attendance records. BTW, both of svxfiles' sons will be old enough to drive their own SVX's to this meet!

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 01-28-2005, 12:56 PM

Re: 15th Anniversary SVX Meeting

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
I have been thinking of holding it in Kansas City, due to its central.
I also think it should be held in early October, so that it is not too hot or cold.
looking at the US map, you couldn't get more central. as for weather, October gets the nod:

"OCTOBER: This region is the first to feel the heat of summer and is often the last to see it go. Average temperatures continue to accelerate downwards and by October have finally reached comfortable levels. The first polar fronts reach the region bringing pleasant temperatures but more importantly lower levels of humidity. Thunderstorms are much less common and together with the reduced tropical activity causes precipitation to diminish by 25 % in the south to more than 50% in the northern parts of this region from September levels.
Kansas City, MO
Average High: 68 Record High: 98
Average Low: 47 Record Low: 17
Average Precipitation: 3.10 inches
Number of rain days: 8

JUNE : With the main jet stream shifted to the north of this region, hot weather prevails with daily temperatures frequently rising into the 90's and 100's. On many days the atmosphere is very unstable, but often thunderstorm development is capped (suppressed) by warm temperatures in middle levels of the atmosphere. Thunderstorms that do form are often severe, and strong tornadoes can occur, especially during the first half of the month.
Kansas City, MO
Average High: 83.3 Record High: 105
Average Low: 63.1 Record Low: 47
Average Precipitation: 4.31 inches
Average Number of Days with Rain: 10"

any svxers in the middle of the country who will offer advice/opinions/assistance?

Last edited by seasvx; 01-28-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:03 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
We are KC natives......
I understand the summer idea... but it's really hot there in the summer.... pretty much like Indiana was in 2002... hot!

Early fall in the midwest is usually better.... climate-wise.

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 01-28-2005, 11:17 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
i was in olathe, ks (kc suburb) sometime during the summer. it was so humid, i couldn't bear to leave the air-conditioned house. keep in mind, i'm a colorado native and it doesn't get much drier than here.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 01-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
You could always dome to Minnesota(LOL), its really hot and humid here everyonce in awhile, no seriously, 75-85 and humid, so its not that bad, just a though, although I maybe impartial.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
So I guess the big point is:

What's more important to people?

Having the meet dead center in the U.S.

or

Having the meet in the summer months.

Because with all info and personal experiences presented so far, we can't have both.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 01-31-2005, 11:18 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
We could always keep going north until we reach a suitable temperature. I hear Winnipeg is nice in the summer
Old 01-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
We could always keep going north until we reach a suitable temperature. I hear Winnipeg is nice in the summer
<---Canadian............Canada! I need to get back to my roots in Toronto........Winnipeg in 07? Id be there
Old 02-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Own'eded

Well I hear Minneapolis is WONDERFUL that time of year, nice people there too I hear.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Winterpeg would be nice. - In Summer - If you like mosquitoes.

Seriously, it's a nice city. Great aerospace stuff. Our southern friends could enjoy the Dakota's on their way up.

If you want moderate temps I think east or west coast are the only options than north.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:14 PM
KCROGUEDOG

no one wants to go to those boring places the mid west would be best. my top pic would be kc it would be the funnest. but there is also st louis, denver or colorado springs. kc is the best to drive in by far. you got the best city and country driving all in one area. colorado areas are decent but packed and can be very confusing to people. kc temps can be hot but in the begining of oct should be no problem. very suitable for a meet. if held in july or august a dusk meet is very nice. they also got kcir speedway for races and 1/4 mile times. it would be nice to see alot of svxs there i seen few. very rare.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Own'eded

SPARK IN MY HEAD!

MN, no seriously, go to brainerd, BIR(Brainerd International Raceway) its a full road course that real drivers have graced(Mario Andretti Sound good?) and also they have a famous 1/4 mile drag strip, the weather is great and the people are the best from anywhere, also its a great temp especially up north because of the cool lake breezes, Honestly, you guys should consider MN.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:46 PM
KCROGUEDOG

that actually dont sound bad.