Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 01-02-2005, 06:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
I see. 10 watts doesn't seem like it would case any harness damage either ....that is a worthy investment - it's a shame I just bought new headlight bulbs about 2 weeks ago. Silverstars too - they work good.....expensive though - think I shoulda just shelled out the extra cash for HIDs

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 01-02-2005, 06:52 PM
nick_06

Thanks for all the opinions... think I'm gonna go with the Sylvania Cool Blue 9005s and do the mod for the low beams. Adjusting the lights so you don't blind the other drivers seems like the hardest part to do though.......
Old 01-03-2005, 10:05 AM
justiceSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by nick_06
Thanks for all the opinions... think I'm gonna go with the Sylvania Cool Blue 9005s and do the mod for the low beams. Adjusting the lights so you don't blind the other drivers seems like the hardest part to do though.......
There should be no need to readjust hte headlights if they were already okay. Check your cutoffs against a wall. They should probably be fine.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
I bought silverstars last year - one burnt out in 2 months, the other in 5 months.
i've had mine for over a year. i assume you didn't touch the lens with your fingers, right? hopefully my Silverstars keep on a' workin' for a lot longer....

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Nope, no finger touchy for this n00b. Glad to hear yours are still working.

I do drive with the headlights on all the time and my 92 is fastAr than your 97 so that may have reduced the life some.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Hater

Quote:

I do drive with the headlights on all the time and my 92 is fastAr than your 97 so that may have reduced the life some.

bring it, O Fast n' Furious One.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:03 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93

Their definitley not crap....i have them and love em.
Do you even understand why I said they're crap? Do you even understand why they're bad bulbs? This isn't an objective opinion, this is factual.

And I said I was done on the lighting subject
Old 01-04-2005, 10:07 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

If your done on the lighting subject then dont reply. You saying the bulbs are crap is your opinion not factual. There are plenty of people who use them and love them.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 01-04-2005, 10:16 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
I bought silverstars last year - one burnt out in 2 months, the other in 5 months.
going over a year and a half on the silverstars.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 01-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Weasel 22

ive used the silverstars in several of my vehicles and now in my SVX and no problems at all..the Subaru club up here..several Evos in the group too lol..use the silverstars..love em..and I recommend em
Old 01-04-2005, 10:38 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
If your done on the lighting subject then dont reply. You saying the bulbs are crap is your opinion not factual. There are plenty of people who use them and love them.
Yeah, I guess I'm not done then. Good to see you didn't even bother to research anything about the bulbs before trying to contradict me. You could argue that my calling them "crap" is an opinion but you can't argue that they are a good bulb. Read the facts and then try to explain why they're a good bulb: http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/...blue/blue.html instead of just going by what you think you know. You are only going by your preception. That is a qualitative measurement. You're letting your checkbook influence your brain. Congratulations, Silvania's marketing plan worked on you! To suffice Silvania Silverstars are not good bulbs.

Seriously though, I give up. You guys can do whatever you want.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by THAWA

Yeah, I guess I'm not done then. Good to see you didn't even bother to research anything about the bulbs before trying to contradict me. You could argue that my calling them "crap" is an opinion but you can't argue that they are a good bulb. Read the facts and then try to explain why they're a good bulb: http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/...blue/blue.html instead of just going by what you think you know. You are only going by your preception. That is a qualitative measurement. You're letting your checkbook influence your brain. Congratulations, Silvania's marketing plan worked on you! To suffice Silvania Silverstars are not good bulbs.

Seriously though, I give up. You guys can do whatever you want.
maybe YOU should read the facts. per danielsternlighting.com:

"It took Osram-Sylvania, Philips, and other major-name bulb makers quite a bit of research and development to produce blue filters that would not drop the bulb output below the legal minimum while still altering the appearance of the operating headlamp enough to appeal to consumers after a "whiter" appearance to their headlamps........
There's no conclusive evidence that the type of light produced by this sort of bulb actually allows drivers to see better than the type of light produced by a regular, clear bulb. And there've been no studies on the effect of this type of light upon seeing and glare in bad weather, for instance. Can you see better with this sort of bulb? Perhaps, and perhaps not. Some people seem to think so. But what if that's exactly the problem — they think they can see better than they actually can?"

are they worse that regular bulbs? no. blue-coated ebay crap may be, but Silverstars have some technology behind them. are they "better"? probably not. i happen to like the way they look on the car and the road. so i spent an extra $20 to get bulbs i'm happy with - i think my wallet will survive this massive expenditure..

Old 01-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
From Daniel Sterns page:Question-Why do you specify "Outside North America only" on the SilverStar bulbs

Osram, the well-established German lampmaker, sells a line of automotive bulbs they call "SilverStar". These are Osram's top-of-the-range headlamp bulbs, equivalent to Philips VisionPlus and Tungsram Megalight Premium. They produce the maximum legal amount of light while staying within legal power consumption limits. They have clear glass.

Osram bought the well-established American lampmaker Sylvania in the early 1990s, so Osram is now Sylvania's parent company. Sylvania also sells a line of automotive bulbs they call "SilverStar", but it's not the same product at all. These bulbs have a blue coating on them. Light output is of legal levels, but as with all blue-filtered bulbs, you do not get more light from them. The Sylvania SilverStar bulbs have a very short lifetime, because the filament is selected so as to be overdriven. This is necessary because the blue filtration coating "steals" so much light that only an overdriven filament can push enough light through the filter to be legal. The Sylvania SilverStar bulbs are also priced quite high. This is not because they cost a lot to make, and not because they're based on some exotic new technology. It's because the goal with this product is to take market share away from other overpriced bulbs like the PIAA line.

For best headlamp performance and best value, choose only bulbs with clear glass.
This is where Thawa get's (some) of his "hate" for silverstars.
The question I ask you though Thawa is "Have you ever tried them or just went with what is on this page?"

I installed them on my wife's Outback, and they are infinatly better the stock bulbs, Have (so far) lasted over a year without a problem and IMHO worth the money I spent on them. Are the better bulbs out there?? Probably, but Im satisfied with them and would buy them again.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:59 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
Thumbs up I was bored today so...

I bought some 9005 Cool Blue's ($10 a piece), did the mod, and installed them. I have to say, it was $20 well spent. They're defiantly brighter and it's nice and white. I can't compare them to the silverstars, which were $37 for a pair, but I'm happy with what I got.

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker