How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2001, 11:04 PM
amuse

Unhappy Antilock Brake Light & constant noise from ABS unit...

Hi,

The antilock brake light on my dash is staying ON, and when I turn the car completely off, the ABS unit in the engine bay is making a constant whining sound (like a knitting machine).

Can anyone suggest what may be the cause, and probable solution? I'll take it to my Subaru dealer first thing Monday, but I was hoping on some expert advice from you guys first

Hope this is not too serious... Should I disconnect the battery to turn the ABS unit off? Or just let it be?

I tried searching the forums but didn't have much luck, especially because the word 'ABS' is too short to be allowed by the search engine

Thanks in advance,
Pete
http://www.mp3.com/petealec
Old 12-15-2001, 12:15 AM
amuse

ok, seeing it was still 'whining' hours later and feeling very hot to touch, I decided to diconnect the negative battery terminal, and it stopped.... when I put the terminal back on a second later it stayed off. It's as if it was 'stuck'.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 12-15-2001, 12:22 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by amuse
ok, seeing it was still 'whining' hours later and feeling very hot to touch, I decided to diconnect the negative battery terminal, and it stopped.... when I put the terminal back on a second later it stayed off. It's as if it was 'stuck'.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Pete
Pete, your ABS relay needs to be replaced. This is a common problem. Usually, if you "tap" the ABS box, the relay will stop. This will take care of the problem until you can get the part in. It's an easy replacement. Just take the screw out of the center of the box to reveal the relays. Unplug the old, and plug in the new. Very simple. I'll post the part number for you once I find it.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-15-2001, 12:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
ABS Relay 101 Class

First of all, here's a post from "mtente" on the Yahoo site, he may still have some of these relays in stock. The relay you'll want to change is the "frontmost" relay, which is the motor relay. Part number (both A/M and OE will follow):

------------------------------------
I took the cover off of my ABS control box the other day and took the numbers off of the relays inside. The rear one is a Matsu****a (Panasonic) P/N #CB1F-12V and the front one (which is what everyone says controls the motor and seems most prone to going out) is a Matsu****a P/N #CB1aF-12V.

I have an account at Newark Electronics and I put the part number (CB1aF-12V) into their internal search engine to find it. They have 99 pcs. in stock at a price of $4.35 ea. (Newark P/N #50F4033)

How much did they say that SOA wants for this?

I would be glad to help accomodate anyone that needs one of these (or wants to order a spare).

-Mark
---------------------------------------

Here is the Subaru Technical Service Bulletin that covers the problem and contains the part number for the OE relay. Just go to the Subaruparts.com website and type the number into their search function. If there is a "supercession" it will call up the correct part.

---------------------------------------
1992 Subaru SVX 6-3300cc 3.3L DOHC
ABS Relay Sticking
NUMBER: 06-28-96
DATE: 06-11-96

APPLICABILITY: LEGACY, IMPREZA AND SVX EQUIPPED WITH ABS BRAKES

SUBJECT:
ABS RELAY STICKING

Should you encounter the following condition(s) please follow the trouble shooting chart as shown.

^ The ABS Hydraulic Unit Motor continues to run and/or buzz when the ignition key is turned to the off position.
^ The ABS warning light comes on and a trouble code "52" for a faulty hydraulic motor and/or motor relay is stored in memory.

Note: It is possible for this condition to occur intermittently. Under these conditions the symptoms may not always be duplicated.

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Check if the ABS Hydraulic Unit Motor is running or if you can duplicate the condition.
2. If the Hydraulic Unit Motor is running, does it continue to run with the key in the off position?
3. Confirm the trouble code, if any, and trouble shoot according to the Diagnostic Chart in the corresponding Service Manual.
4. Replace the ABS Hydraulic Unit Motor Relay with a modified one. The new part number is 26735AA012. The new relay can be identified by a white line under the word Japan on the relay case.

Note: Always check the part number supersession for any changes.

5. If the wiring harness is at fault repair and/or replace as necessary.

The new ABS Motor Relay has been changed in production begining with the following VIN's.

Legacy (SIA built): Sedan: T*206647
S/W: T*308128
O/B: T*374098

SVX: T*100004

Impreza: Sedan: T*510065
S/W: T*810189
Coupe: T*410116
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-15-2001, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: ABS Relay 101 Class

Mtente's business can be found at www.tentech.com and email links, etc... I got the relays from him in person awhile ago, but don't know if he has anymore. He does have the ability to take credit cards and such, so try contacting him there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
First of all, here's a post from "mtente" on the Yahoo site, he may still have some of these relays in stock. The relay you'll want to change is the "frontmost" relay, which is the motor relay. Part number (both A/M and OE will follow):

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 12-15-2001, 07:51 PM
amuse

Thanks!

Hey thanks guys! This forum is amazing. So much volunteer info and expert knowledge, a real blessing to someone like me who knows hardly anything about cars let alone the SVX...

The problem didn't return after I did the battery unplug procedure, so I guess it's just an intermittent phenomena for now... but I'll archive your advice so I know what to do if it becomes a re-occuring problem.

Thanks heaps,
Pete.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:19 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by amuse
Hey thanks guys! This forum is amazing. So much volunteer info and expert knowledge, a real blessing to someone like me who knows hardly anything about cars let alone the SVX...

The problem didn't return after I did the battery unplug procedure, so I guess it's just an intermittent phenomena for now... but I'll archive your advice so I know what to do if it becomes a re-occuring problem.

Thanks heaps,
Pete.
Pete, I'd go ahead and get the relay and have it on standby. As you can see by the TSB, it is an intermittent problem that will eventually get worse. Anyway, that's what I would do.

As you can see, we're all eager and glad to help here. Thank you for being a part of us. It's a blessing to us that you chose to hang out with us.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-16-2001, 05:58 PM
sk8ing19

Aredubjay Thank You

I was having the same problem cecked the code under the passanger seat and got the relay code. but I have been looking for what the price of a new relay would be. thanks for saving me the time.

Later
Chris
Old 05-15-2006, 12:14 PM
IppoJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredubjay
First of all, here's a post from "mtente" :
------------------------------------
I took the cover off of my ABS control box the other day and took the numbers off of the relays inside. The rear one is a Matsu****a (Panasonic) P/N #CB1F-12V and the front one (which is what everyone says controls the motor and seems most prone to going out) is a Matsu****a P/N #CB1aF-12V.

The new ABS Motor Relay has been changed in production begining with the following VIN's.
SVX: T*100004
Would I be correct in guessing that the above p/n is for the new motor relay?

TIA
- J -
Old 05-15-2006, 12:23 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
My ABS light is always on. I know how to check for codes but I have none. Do I possibly have the same problem?